FishEyeAquaculture

Kentiopsis pyriformis in Central Florida

FishEyeAquaculture

I currently have three Kentiopsis pyriformis, each one around 2.5' in overall height that are in 3gal pots.  I would like to put these in the ground at some point in the next couple weeks and figured I would check if there are any of you on this forum that has experience and/or suggestions for the light requirements this species favors in Central Florida.   

RedRabbit

For what it’s worth, my oliviformis needed shade at that size.

SWFLchris

I currently have pyriformis, piersoniorum and all species of cyphophoenix in 3 gal pots in clearwater in the shade and doing very well. I also have K. magnifica about 6' high in the ground in full oak canopy and is thriving. 

• Like 1

DoomsDave

I am curious as can be to know if they're gonna grow over there.

Like gangbusters here!

• Like 1

Jeff Searle

I think at this size, this time of the year I would plant these in full sun.

Jeff

• Like 1

TomJ

They handle sun a lot more than I thought they would have.  I have an old one planted out many years ago, that in retrospect is in way too much shade. It is now too big to move.

Ironically,  I actually planted out a smallish 1gl 3 weeks ago in FULL sun because a friend of mine and I were disagreeing on this very topic and I had a 1gl just laying around.

It's going with no protection albeit March, and it appears again I will be proven wrong.  I thought it would have fried already.

If I were in your situation, I would place one of the 3gl potted plants in a sunnier location (or pot plant it) and check on it often, especially 1st few days of real sun.

If it looks fine after a couple of weeks of sun, then plant them out.  If it starts to show sun damage retreat it to a shadier spot, or put up protection.

LOVES water here, Florida shouldn't have a problem with that, and it'll love your humidity. 

I would listen to Jeff Searle on this one. If anyone would know, it will be him.

Beautiful Palm !!    Please post pictures once planted.... or situated.

Edited by TomJ
not proof reading
  • Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• kinzyjr
      By kinzyjr
      SAVE THE DATE!!!

Central & North Florida Palm and Cycad Society
      Holiday Gathering

Saturday, December 8, 2018

11:00am – 3:00pm

Private Garden of Ron Hart & Maryann Krisovitch
      6701 Lake Kirkland Drive, Clermont, FL 34714

The Society will provide drinks and the main dish.  Please bring a side or dessert to share.

About the garden:  Ron & Maryann have been members of the society for over 10 years and have also served as President and Treasurer.  They recently moved about 80 of their 170 palms and cycads from their home in Apopka to their new lake house south of Clermont.  While the home is a new place for Maryann, Ron actually built the home 15 years ago. Many of the palms he planted back then are still there and thriving even though he was gone from them for the past 10 years!  You’ll see the struggle the plants are facing since removing plucked from a shady oak canopy half-acre yard to a mostly sunny acre on the lake.

Please R.S.V.P. by the Monday before the meeting to Maryann at palmsocietytreas@aol.com

What you need to bring to the meeting:

A plant for the auction (does not have to be a palm, palm-companions are good too!
      Sides or dessert
      A chair for your own personal enjoyment!

• kinzyjr
      By kinzyjr
      SAVE THE DATE!!!

Central & North Florida Palm and Cycad Society
      Holiday Gathering

Saturday, December 8, 2018

11:00am – 3:00pm

Private Garden of Ron Hart & Maryann Krisovitch
      6701 Lake Kirkland Drive, Clermont, FL 34714

The Society will provide drinks and the main dish.  Please bring a side or dessert to share.

About the garden:  Ron & Maryann have been members of the society for over 10 years and have also served as President and Treasurer.  They recently moved about 80 of their 170 palms and cycads from their home in Apopka to their new lake house south of Clermont.  While the home is a new place for Maryann, Ron actually built the home 15 years ago. Many of the palms he planted back then are still there and thriving even though he was gone from them for the past 10 years!  You’ll see the struggle the plants are facing since removing plucked from a shady oak canopy half-acre yard to a mostly sunny acre on the lake.

Please R.S.V.P. by the Monday before the meeting to Maryann at palmsocietytreas@aol.com

What you need to bring to the meeting:

A plant for the auction (does not have to be a palm, palm-companions are good too!
      Sides or dessert
      A chair for your own personal enjoyment!
    • kinzyjr
      By kinzyjr
      Joint fall field trip and meeting for Central Florida Palm and Cycad Society  and First Coast Palm Society. 
      Please R.S.V.P. by the Monday before the meeting to First Coast President David Casella so we have a good food count. 
      David Casella: wxalert272@gmail.com or (904) 333-6106.
      More information here: http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/57636-central-florida-palm-cycad-society-first-coast-palm-society-fall-field-trip-meeting-sat-10132018/
    • Hferrell87
      By Hferrell87
      Hello all,
      As a fellow palm enthusiast, I’d often day dream of owning land and designing a nursery. For the past few years, I’ve scoured multiple reality websites, searching for the perfect plot. We found one and offered full price for a little over 12 acres and the owner accepted. This property was beautiful and was once a running nursery (perfect for me!). A few days went by after putting deposit down, when the realtor called me saying that the owner got cold feet and backed out of the deal. I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t disappointed. Many nights I spent plotting and scheming the lay of the land and what to do with it, just for them to pull the rug from under me. 
      Flash forward to now, a year and some change later.
      My wife and I fianlly closed on 9.06 acres, about 4 minutes from our house. It was a blessing in disguise when the other property didn’t work out, as it was in a very rural area with little development, while the newly acquired land is in the in the middle what feels like Sim City with unlimited funds. The property is fully fenced with a 4” well, pole barn and an insulated shed. The land is majorly covered by large water oaks with a few pockets of cleared land. We recently had about 3/4 acre cleared to start planting clumping bamboo and palms (potted and in ground).
      Development of the nursery is going to take some time, as my wife and I both work full time jobs. But, with the property so close to the house, I’m out there every day. 
      So, here’s to the start of our dream nursery and the progress along the way. 
      Enjoy...

• Eric in Orlando
      By Eric in Orlando
      I came across this nice sized Corypha utan on Saturday. It is growing in Rockledge (just south of Cocoa) in a yard facing the western shore of the Indian River lagoon. It has some cold damage but I think more of the damage maybe from wind/salt spray from Hurricane Irma. There are Adonidia/Cocos/Hyophorbe/Veitchia nearby with minimal damage. A Livistona decora is to the right for scale.