IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Kentiopsis pyriformis in Central Florida

FishEyeAquaculture

I currently have three Kentiopsis pyriformis, each one around 2.5' in overall height that are in 3gal pots.  I would like to put these in the ground at some point in the next couple weeks and figured I would check if there are any of you on this forum that has experience and/or suggestions for the light requirements this species favors in Central Florida.   

For what it’s worth, my oliviformis needed shade at that size.

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

I currently have pyriformis, piersoniorum and all species of cyphophoenix in 3 gal pots in clearwater in the shade and doing very well. I also have K. magnifica about 6' high in the ground in full oak canopy and is thriving. 

• Like 1

I am curious as can be to know if they're gonna grow over there.

Like gangbusters here!

• Like 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I think at this size, this time of the year I would plant these in full sun.

Jeff

• Like 2

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

They handle sun a lot more than I thought they would have.  I have an old one planted out many years ago, that in retrospect is in way too much shade. It is now too big to move.

Ironically,  I actually planted out a smallish 1gl 3 weeks ago in FULL sun because a friend of mine and I were disagreeing on this very topic and I had a 1gl just laying around.

It's going with no protection albeit March, and it appears again I will be proven wrong.  I thought it would have fried already.

If I were in your situation, I would place one of the 3gl potted plants in a sunnier location (or pot plant it) and check on it often, especially 1st few days of real sun.

If it looks fine after a couple of weeks of sun, then plant them out.  If it starts to show sun damage retreat it to a shadier spot, or put up protection.

LOVES water here, Florida shouldn't have a problem with that, and it'll love your humidity. 

I would listen to Jeff Searle on this one. If anyone would know, it will be him.

Beautiful Palm !!    Please post pictures once planted.... or situated.

Edited by TomJ
not proof reading
  • Like 1