Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Big Eye

Round Pots/Square Pots/Air-Pots?

Recommended Posts

Big Eye

I've read in rounds that roots tend to circle once they hit the bottom causing the roots to basically suffocate itself? And I'm not sure what goes on in square pots once they reach the bottom but I doubt it can be anything worse than strangling yourself... :unsure:

Are Air-pots or Rootmaker pots used for growing palms? If you tried it, how did you like it? They look really funky but it seems like they do what they were made to do. All I have are rounds and after doing some reading, I'm not sure if I should switch to square pots or even try those air pruning pots.

Any insight is greatly appreciated! Mahalo!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Neil C

I've only ever seen palms growing in round pots or in the big wooden boxes. I'm sure you do not have too much to worry about unless you plan to keep a palm in a pot forever.

 

Regards Neil

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Big Eye
13 hours ago, Neil C said:

I've only ever seen palms growing in round pots or in the big wooden boxes. I'm sure you do not have too much to worry about unless you plan to keep a palm in a pot forever.

 

Regards Neil

Thanks for your response Neil and I agree. If not in rounds, they're almost always in 4" squares and then repotted into 1+ gal. rounds? I have a hard time where I live finding larger 3+ gal. squares. I plan to keep them in pots no longer than 2-3 years once I finish building my house and find the perfect home for them in ground. Say if I was to keep one in a pot forever, what type of pot would you suggest?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Pal Meir

Pots like these:

1323123208_01Berlin2016-04-28P1010482.thumb.jpg.0f401f98c41ea2c0fe8e00cd29b2ba7d.jpg

1298872539_Trachycarpusfortunei1987-05-28.thumb.jpg.b8bee7ae0ae0a7c0e72380752ba8dd69.jpg

1851867359_Phoenixcanariensis1989-09-07L.thumb.jpg.4d10b2037384573d7693ee86b2fa2c00.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Missi

I've grown many a root bound palm in both round and square and they're always just fine. Have yet to try air pots.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Big Eye
On 3/14/2019 at 10:38 AM, Pal Meir said:

Pots like these:

1323123208_01Berlin2016-04-28P1010482.thumb.jpg.0f401f98c41ea2c0fe8e00cd29b2ba7d.jpg

1298872539_Trachycarpusfortunei1987-05-28.thumb.jpg.b8bee7ae0ae0a7c0e72380752ba8dd69.jpg

1851867359_Phoenixcanariensis1989-09-07L.thumb.jpg.4d10b2037384573d7693ee86b2fa2c00.jpg

Pal - Wow! I'm liking those in the first pic. In huge pots like that, would I ever need to take out a palm/plant to root prune or change soils? If so, it sounds like it would be a huge job to take the plants out of something so big! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Big Eye
On 3/15/2019 at 5:21 AM, Missi said:

I've grown many a root bound palm in both round and square and they're always just fine. Have yet to try air pots.

Missi - Thanks for your input! I just picked up some Air-pots from a specialized garden shop this past weekend. Going to try and see how the plants take to it. Hopefully they don't outgrow it too fast since a 1 gallon was $7!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×