IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Which cactus is this please

GDLWyverex

Just got this ne today and would like an ID so that I know where and how to plant it.

CereusFull.jpg.001b851ecf5931c22ddebfb1de329f0d.jpg CereusClose.jpg.e2f1f554882fef792511a2200f703b5b.jpg

Thanks

Richard

More than likely either Peniocereus serpentinus or P. oaxacensis.  Grow it near something it can lean against / grow up through ( Most Peniocereus are scramblers ).  Not sure how they'd handle it there but all my Peniocereus and Harrisia are placed in all day, filtered sun ( Under the canopy of my Mesquite ) here.

• Upvote 1

Nathan, does the various Harrisia species cause problems in the arid South West ? Harrisia is regarded as one of the worst weed species in the inland regions of Queensland and NSW and is way up there on the Australian Biosecurity lists.

https://www.daf.qld.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0003/49179/IPA-Harrisia-Cactus-PP22.pdf

12347735_1221789971171103_8144731673334766430_n.jpg

12346509_1221789974504436_8272918441172490937_n.jpg

Edited by greysrigging
add more

4 minutes ago, greysrigging said:

Nathan, does the various Harrisia species cause problems in the arid South West ? Harrisia is regarded as one of the worst weed species in the inland regions of Queensland and NSW and is way up there on the Australian Biosecurity lists.

https://www.daf.qld.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0003/49179/IPA-Harrisia-Cactus-PP22.pdf

Not that i'm aware of..  But it may be an issue of our area not receiving enough summer rain ..perhaps being too cool during the winter for any seed spread from cultivated specimens to really get started / established. Most species are native to various parts of the Caribbean and South America.  Even the above mentioned sp. Harrisia fragrans, is quite endangered where it remains in FL.  Was lucky to acquire a specimen from a Botanical Garden that has been helping to restore it.  There, you might see occasional escapee specimens of other, non native species, but as far as i remember, they never caused issues in native environs.

Found it interesting how some of our most common Cacti ( Opuntia =Prickly Pear, in particular ) are such a problem there in Australia.

Yes, the Prickly Pear once infested literally millions of acres of prime grazing lands in QLD and NSW.... until the the introduction of the cactoblastis moth helped end the invasion. Still see isolated plants throughout Australia, but under control now. The Harrisia one is a huge potential problem. The infestations in central western Queensland/Darling Downs would see frosty minimums ( to 25f ) temps, hot summers and of course much more generous rainfall then your region. No natural pests or predators, and the feral pigs like the fruit as does birds which spread the seeds.

12310711_1221790047837762_2816595574839307666_n.jpg

15 hours ago, Silas_Sancona said:

More than likely either Peniocereus serpentinus or P. oaxacensis.  Grow it near something it can lean against / grow up through ( Most Peniocereus are scramblers ).  Not sure how they'd handle it there but all my Peniocereus and Harrisia are placed in all day, filtered sun ( Under the canopy of my Mesquite ) here.

I mixed them into my alluaudia procera in front of some pachypodium lamerei upon which they can all lean

PeniocereusSerpentinus.jpg.977d8412cf01778f3347dd615f0e5dd6.jpg

Thanks so much

Richard

Edited by GDLWyverex
  • Like 1