Sign in to follow this  
NC_Palms

Fertilizing questions

NC_Palms

Since spring is coming quickly, I've started to think about fertilizing. I just have a few questions first since I have never routinely fertilized my palms. When should I fertilize and what type of fertilizer should I use? Also, should I fertilize palms that I recently planted within the last year? 

Reeverse

I would recommend a controlled release polymer coated product. I use florikan and never have any issues 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

pj_orlando_z9b

I use Carl Pool.  Very balanced and is higher in boron than most competitors which is needed for my type of soil in Central FL. Somebody from your area can give better advice on timing and frequency but general rule of thumb is to fertilize in spring when active growth resumes as soil warms.

• Like 1

palmsOrl

I have few palms at the moment due to some recent life circumstances, however, I have been fertilizing my two Jamaican tall Cocos with a normal dose of Miracle Grow since late February.  Since I began this treatment, the palms have taken on a much deeper, rich green apperance and do not look any worse for wear, despite the couple chilly days and nights last week.  I plan to keep on fertilizing my potted palms in the same manner, with a dose of micronutrients once per month or so.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

NC_Palms

Thanks everybody for your input.  I'll have to look into these.