Sign in to follow this  
Palmarum

Spring Garden Tour - Croton Meeting & Auction - S. Florida - April 6th, 2019

Palmarum

Spring Garden Tour

Croton Meeting & Auction

Saturday, April 6th, 2019

Cooper City, S. Florida

The next Croton 'Group' Meeting and Auction has been combined with the S. Florida-based Spring Garden Tour. It will take place at a popular and well-known garden, consisting of a vast Palm, Croton and tropical plant collection. I believe most of the plants for the Auction will be Croton cultivars, including some extremely rare ones, but I think any plant may show up. The auctioned plants support the donor, as there isn't an actual Croton Society anymore. Trading and personal sales among plant fanatics is popular among the attendees. There is usually a huge spread of food brought by those in attendance. These tours and meetings have been a fun way to explore a garden and spend time with fellow plant enthusiasts in the area. The auctions have always been exciting to see what rare cultivar comes up for bid, and what bids they may bring.

For location, details, directions, ideas on what to bring for food or plants, or to have any other questions answered, send an email to the following address:

email: colorfulcrotons@gmail.com

2086051282_GardenTourFlyer_S19.thumb.jpg.96b7b323abdda401bb5c051037b28af4.jpg

Ryan

Jeff Searle

Are we keeping it a secret on it's location? I'm not understanding why. Time? And I assume were having an auction of plants that would further encourage people to come. How many plants can one bring for the auction? Who's organizing the food and drinks?  In another words, who's in charge? Lol

• Like 1

Palmarum

Chairs... I forgot to mention to bring a chair to have for the auction, for lunch, or to just plain have a place to sit. There always seems to be a shortage of seating at these meetings.

Ryan

waykoolplantz

As it’s a private residence it was thought not to post the address. The usual suspects know where it is...others can contact  Colorfulcrotons@gmail.com

10:30 is a good time. Bull Winkle is in charge...Natasha & Boris are bringing chairs...you might as well.

I have plates..forks. Bring food or drinks

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• Palmarum
      By Palmarum
      Spring Garden Tour - Croton Meeting & Auction - S. Florida
      Link to Topic: https://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/59599-spring-garden-tour-croton-meeting-auction-s-florida-april-6th-2019/
      Ryan
    • Hammer
      By Hammer
      Hey all,
      Any help in identifying these beauties would be greatly appreciated. 
      Maybe the last is same as the first?  Just less color.
      Thanks!

• Tracy
      By Tracy
      I am always out taking photos in my garden, so I thought I might share a tour of what I have begun in my little patch of earth in a coastal desert climate here in Southern California.  My garden has been in progress for about 6 years.  I tore out almost everything in 2010, and started in some small areas.  I did a remodel in 2014 which opened up some spaces for me to start planting.  So I have a few palms which are trunking dating back to 2010 plantings, and many more in infant stage, hence the "juvenile" status.  I have intermixed many cycads, aloes and succulents in a nod to the limited amount of rainfall here.  The lot is just over 1/4 acre, requiring care in not over planting to aloe the sun loving plants to get what they need as I create some shaded areas.
      Dypsis Pembana and Aloe Hercules; Dypsis decaryi; Pseudophoenix sargentii ssp saonae var navassana; front planter with aloes and cycads; Encephalartos longifolius with male cones

I am always photo documenting my gardens progress, so I thought I would share it in it's juvenile stage.  I tore out almost everything in late 2010 when I bought the home, and started with a few small areas.  I had to move some plants in 2014 for a house addition and remodel, which meant going back to ground zero in many areas of the small yard.  So I have a few palms which have trunks from the original planting, and many more much smaller plantings in the last couple of years.  My approach was a mix of drought tolerant plants (many cycads, aloes and succulents) in with my palms, acknowledging the coastal desert I live in.  So here goes starting with a couple of shots from the front approach to the yard.
      Shots in order:  Dypsis pemnbana with Aloe Hercules, Encephalartos; Dypsis decaryi; Pseudophoenix sargentii var navassana; front planter; Encephalartos longifolius coning

• Zeeth
      By Zeeth
      Hi everyone. It's the end of the year, so I'm visiting my garden at my parents' house in Palmetto. I haven't posted any garden tours of the new garden yet, so I thought I'd start now.

Everything has been in the ground for about a year, so everything is still pretty small. The garden should end up pretty nice after a few years.
      (I only see the garden for a short time once every few months, so it hasn't been weeded since August.)
      Front of the house:

Cyphophoenix nucele. It hasn't looked very good since I planted it, so I'm hoping it colors up once it's been planted for a few years

Chambeyronia macrocarpa

B. alfredii

Pritchardia beccariana being shaded a little too much. I usually clean out the beach sunflowers when I visit, but I haven't gotten to it yet this visit. The plant to the left is a lobster claw heliconia. 

Pritchardia schattaueri.