IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Spring Garden Tour - Croton Meeting & Auction - S. Florida - April 6th, 2019

Palmarum

Spring Garden Tour

Croton Meeting & Auction

Saturday, April 6th, 2019

Cooper City, S. Florida

The next Croton 'Group' Meeting and Auction has been combined with the S. Florida-based Spring Garden Tour. It will take place at a popular and well-known garden, consisting of a vast Palm, Croton and tropical plant collection. I believe most of the plants for the Auction will be Croton cultivars, including some extremely rare ones, but I think any plant may show up. The auctioned plants support the donor, as there isn't an actual Croton Society anymore. Trading and personal sales among plant fanatics is popular among the attendees. There is usually a huge spread of food brought by those in attendance. These tours and meetings have been a fun way to explore a garden and spend time with fellow plant enthusiasts in the area. The auctions have always been exciting to see what rare cultivar comes up for bid, and what bids they may bring.

For location, details, directions, ideas on what to bring for food or plants, or to have any other questions answered, send an email to the following address:

email: colorfulcrotons@gmail.com

2086051282_GardenTourFlyer_S19.thumb.jpg.96b7b323abdda401bb5c051037b28af4.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

Are we keeping it a secret on it's location? I'm not understanding why. Time? And I assume were having an auction of plants that would further encourage people to come. How many plants can one bring for the auction? Who's organizing the food and drinks?  In another words, who's in charge? Lol

• Like 1

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Chairs... I forgot to mention to bring a chair to have for the auction, for lunch, or to just plain have a place to sit. There always seems to be a shortage of seating at these meetings.

Ryan

South Florida

As it’s a private residence it was thought not to post the address. The usual suspects know where it is...others can contact  Colorfulcrotons@gmail.com

10:30 is a good time. Bull Winkle is in charge...Natasha & Boris are bringing chairs...you might as well.

I have plates..forks. Bring food or drinks

• Like 1

The Palm Mahal

Hollywood Fla

• 2 weeks later...

See all you Croton fans this Saturday   

Palm fans welcome too

• Like 1

The Palm Mahal

Hollywood Fla

The meeting and tour should have some nice weather this Saturday.

I remembered a similar meeting and tour at the same location back in 2011. I did a topic on it over at Palmpedia, here's a link to it:

Link: http://www.palmpedia.net/forum/threads/the-croton-society-spring-meeting-may-14th-2011-mike-harris-residence.2449/

Ryan

South Florida

Oooh, I remembered a pair of other tour related occurrences in the same location... Came to mind as I was looking over the 2011 topic:

South Florida Palm Society Fall Garden Tour - October 20th, 2012

The SFPS had arranged to do a garden tour in Broward County and it encompassed three stops, one of which was Mike Harris's Residence. I had almost forgotten about the topic, as it didn't come up in a regular topic search. I had added my photos to Ken Johnson's topic that he started about the tour. If you follow the link to the topic, Mike's yard and collection was the second stop. The photos start about a quarter way down the first page.

Link: https://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/34581-south-florida-palm-society-garden-tours/&do=findComment&comment=547175

French Palm Society Fous de Palmiers - South Florida Visit and Tour - November 12th, 2013

The French Palm Society planned a 12-day visit to S. Florida in late 2013. It included stops in all sorts of palm rich areas. On their second day, they visited Searle Brothers Nursery, Jeff Searle's yard and Mike Harris's Residence. It was a wonderful visit and a fun tour. I cannot look at a white erase board anymore without thinking of that day. The link is below and the photos of Mike's place start about halfway down the page.

Link: https://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/39479-une-visite-à-la-française-a-visit-with-the-french/

There has been other visits, meetings and tours over the years at Mike's place. I photographed some of them, but they didn't all find their way into being topics, here or at Palmpedia.

Ryan

South Florida

A quick note about the Garden Tour tomorrow...

Parking will be outside of the property, along the east side of Palm avenue. There is more room to park down (north) from the gate. Transportation will be made available for those who need a lift inside and for plants, food, etc.

Ryan

South Florida

Looking forward to this event. Thanks Mike and Ryan!

Tracy

Stuart, Florida

Zone 10a

So many palms, so little room

Thanks to all for traveling not small distances...Tracy Doug and Rick from up the coast...Tim from KW...Bob,..Anna, Bert and Pete, Jim and Judy..Phil and Kip...you helped make it a great day. So good to see Jerry Schilling, after a long absence, who may have travelled the furthest.

Jeff has graciously offered to host a Croton and Palm gathering in the fall when it begins to cool down. Stay tuned

• Like 1

The Palm Mahal

Hollywood Fla

Great event. Thanks Mike for hosting. Jeff did a great job as auctioneer. Thank goodness andrea was finally allowed to bid on a cotton. 

Great to see everyone today.

Tracy

Stuart, Florida

Zone 10a

So many palms, so little room

What a meeting. The weather was perfect and it was a classic Palm and Plant related event. The Crotons were plentiful. Some rare, some more common. There were plants in the auction for every level of beginner, enthusiast or die-hard collector. I took a fair amount of photos and I will post them somewhere, I dunno where as of yet as the topic could fit under different categories.

- An instance as the tour approached the pond and passed by one of the Tahina spectabilis.

DSC_0300.thumb.JPG.005f7f8c30595ebf901431fab8728b65.JPG

- Crotons on display, being fought over during the auction.

DSC_0416.thumb.JPG.5d03da018c51a8e869d43710a1b7ae19.JPG

Ryan

• Upvote 1

South Florida

• 2 weeks later...