Palmarum

Spring Garden Tour - Croton Meeting & Auction - S. Florida - April 6th, 2019

Palmarum

Spring Garden Tour

Croton Meeting & Auction

Saturday, April 6th, 2019

Cooper City, S. Florida

The next Croton 'Group' Meeting and Auction has been combined with the S. Florida-based Spring Garden Tour. It will take place at a popular and well-known garden, consisting of a vast Palm, Croton and tropical plant collection. I believe most of the plants for the Auction will be Croton cultivars, including some extremely rare ones, but I think any plant may show up. The auctioned plants support the donor, as there isn't an actual Croton Society anymore. Trading and personal sales among plant fanatics is popular among the attendees. There is usually a huge spread of food brought by those in attendance. These tours and meetings have been a fun way to explore a garden and spend time with fellow plant enthusiasts in the area. The auctions have always been exciting to see what rare cultivar comes up for bid, and what bids they may bring.

For location, details, directions, ideas on what to bring for food or plants, or to have any other questions answered, send an email to the following address:

email: colorfulcrotons@gmail.com

2086051282_GardenTourFlyer_S19.thumb.jpg.96b7b323abdda401bb5c051037b28af4.jpg

Ryan

Jeff Searle

Are we keeping it a secret on it's location? I'm not understanding why. Time? And I assume were having an auction of plants that would further encourage people to come. How many plants can one bring for the auction? Who's organizing the food and drinks?  In another words, who's in charge? Lol

• Like 1

Palmarum

Chairs... I forgot to mention to bring a chair to have for the auction, for lunch, or to just plain have a place to sit. There always seems to be a shortage of seating at these meetings.

Ryan

waykoolplantz

As it’s a private residence it was thought not to post the address. The usual suspects know where it is...others can contact  Colorfulcrotons@gmail.com

10:30 is a good time. Bull Winkle is in charge...Natasha & Boris are bringing chairs...you might as well.

I have plates..forks. Bring food or drinks

• Like 1

waykoolplantz

See all you Croton fans this Saturday   

Palm fans welcome too

• Like 1

Palmarum

The meeting and tour should have some nice weather this Saturday.

I remembered a similar meeting and tour at the same location back in 2011. I did a topic on it over at Palmpedia, here's a link to it:

Link: http://www.palmpedia.net/forum/threads/the-croton-society-spring-meeting-may-14th-2011-mike-harris-residence.2449/

Ryan

Palmarum

Oooh, I remembered a pair of other tour related occurrences in the same location... Came to mind as I was looking over the 2011 topic:

South Florida Palm Society Fall Garden Tour - October 20th, 2012

The SFPS had arranged to do a garden tour in Broward County and it encompassed three stops, one of which was Mike Harris's Residence. I had almost forgotten about the topic, as it didn't come up in a regular topic search. I had added my photos to Ken Johnson's topic that he started about the tour. If you follow the link to the topic, Mike's yard and collection was the second stop. The photos start about a quarter way down the first page.

Link: https://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/34581-south-florida-palm-society-garden-tours/&do=findComment&comment=547175

French Palm Society Fous de Palmiers - South Florida Visit and Tour - November 12th, 2013

The French Palm Society planned a 12-day visit to S. Florida in late 2013. It included stops in all sorts of palm rich areas. On their second day, they visited Searle Brothers Nursery, Jeff Searle's yard and Mike Harris's Residence. It was a wonderful visit and a fun tour. I cannot look at a white erase board anymore without thinking of that day. The link is below and the photos of Mike's place start about halfway down the page.

Link: https://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/39479-une-visite-à-la-française-a-visit-with-the-french/

There has been other visits, meetings and tours over the years at Mike's place. I photographed some of them, but they didn't all find their way into being topics, here or at Palmpedia.

Ryan

Palmarum

A quick note about the Garden Tour tomorrow...

Parking will be outside of the property, along the east side of Palm avenue. There is more room to park down (north) from the gate. Transportation will be made available for those who need a lift inside and for plants, food, etc.

Ryan

Tracy S

Looking forward to this event. Thanks Mike and Ryan!

waykoolplantz

Thanks to all for traveling not small distances...Tracy Doug and Rick from up the coast...Tim from KW...Bob,..Anna, Bert and Pete, Jim and Judy..Phil and Kip...you helped make it a great day. So good to see Jerry Schilling, after a long absence, who may have travelled the furthest.

Jeff has graciously offered to host a Croton and Palm gathering in the fall when it begins to cool down. Stay tuned

• Like 1

Tracy S

Great event. Thanks Mike for hosting. Jeff did a great job as auctioneer. Thank goodness andrea was finally allowed to bid on a cotton. 

Great to see everyone today.

Palmarum

What a meeting. The weather was perfect and it was a classic Palm and Plant related event. The Crotons were plentiful. Some rare, some more common. There were plants in the auction for every level of beginner, enthusiast or die-hard collector. I took a fair amount of photos and I will post them somewhere, I dunno where as of yet as the topic could fit under different categories.

- An instance as the tour approached the pond and passed by one of the Tahina spectabilis.

DSC_0300.thumb.JPG.005f7f8c30595ebf901431fab8728b65.JPG

- Crotons on display, being fought over during the auction.

DSC_0416.thumb.JPG.5d03da018c51a8e869d43710a1b7ae19.JPG

Ryan

• Upvote 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Travis Searle
      By Travis Searle
      Hey everybody! Its me again sharing our newest video!

• Palmarum
      By Palmarum
      Palm Beach Palm & Cycad Society - January Ramble
      A Tour of three Gardens in Stuart, Florida
      January 5th, 2019

1. Dominic Colonna Garden
      2. Jack Miller Residence
      3. Tracy Sutherland Collection
      The society had planned an early winter garden tour to take place in Stuart Florida in Martin County, the next county north of Palm Beach. Any garden tour can be interesting, but when the society stretches beyond its regular boundaries, then you have the opportunity to see gardens and collections you otherwise may never see. All three were new to me. I thought the timing was unique. This is the probably the first palm or plant related event I have attended during the first weekend in January. The weather had turned out to be perfect in every way possible, but it could have been very cold. The first week in January is notorious for being one of the coldest of the year for S. Florida, so we lucked out. The tour was divided into three locations, all close to one another. Minus the trip north, the longest route during the tour was only fifteen minutes. The tour was scheduled to give a fair amount of time at each stop, with lunch at the last location.

1. Dominic Colonna Garden
      - 10:40AM - "Does this look like the right spot?" - Jeff asking from the driver's seat. "Yeah, I see a lot of cars and a yard full of palms." - I replied. After a decent drive up from Broward County, Jeff Searle and I arrived at the first location just as the tour was starting. We had to find a parking spot without upsetting a neighbor ("stay off the grass!") then jumped out and walked over. First palm I saw was a tall coconut that anchored an oval planting bed at the center of the front yard. (B) "ehh Jeff... the tour is behind you."

- We were not the first to arrive and certainly not the last. Cars were finding places to park as we walked over to the group. (B) As we got closer, we heard host Dominic (plaid shirt) naming species and describing the overall plan for this particular bed.

- It was a mix of different palms, cycads, crotons, and a few agave. (B) Left of Dominic standing on the mound, PBPCS Events Chairman Terry Lynch listens to the tour and adds his insight to the cold tolerance of the palms mentioned.

- A mature and trunk-bearing Dictyosperma album var. conjugatum was the focal point of the bed. It was pushing out those silvery leaves and inflorescences at the same time. (B) The tour was slowly moving from the planting bed to the front of the house.

Ryan
    • Palmarum
      By Palmarum
      South Florida Palm Society - Spring Garden Tour
      May 4th, 2019 - Fairchild Gardens and nearby private gardens
      For more info, follow the link to the topic: https://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/59983-sfps-spring-garden-tour-may-4th-2019-s-florida-fairchild-matheson-hammock-two-private-gardens-secret/
      Ryan
    • Palmarum
      By Palmarum
      SFPS Spring Garden Tour
      Today, I became aware of the South Florida Palm Society's upcoming Spring Garden Tour. I figured the notification and the related information should be posted here on Palmtalk. It sounds as if there will be a large attendance. In addition to the South Florida Palm Society membership, they are expecting attendees from the Palm Beach Palm & Cycad Society and the Tropical Flowering Tree Society.

The following is from the society's homepage: Link: http://www.southfloridapalmsociety.org/index.shtml
      The South Florida Palm Society is a not-for-profit organization whose mission is to disseminate information about and encourage interest in palms and the use of these plants.  The South Florida Palm Society uses its funds to help support local botanical gardens, individual scientific research expeditions or projects, conservation and planting projects and educational efforts.
      Upcoming Activities
      May 4, 2019: A Spring Garden Tour, will begin at 9:30 am at Fairchild Botanical Garden. For details, click here. (displayed below) Members and non-members are invited. Please reserve by Apr 30,
      June 3, 2019. General Meeting at the Corbin Building at Fairchild, beginning at 7:00 pm. Auction of donated palms followed by a presentation. Speaker to be announced.

Following the click here seen above leads you to the event page: Link: https://www.southfloridapalmsociety.org/2019gardentour.shtml
      Spring Garden Tour, May 4 from 9:30 am to 3:15 pm.
      We will be enjoying a two-part, combined event, with members of the Tropical Flowering Tree Society (TFTS) and the Palm Beach Palm and Cycad Society (PBPCS). More plant people than you can shake a stick at!
      The event will take place on Saturday, May 4, 2019. We will gather and check-in at Fairchild Tropical Botanical Garden (main, north entrance) at 9:30 am.
      Part One: Organized by the PBPCS, this portion of the day's program is a tour of the Montgomery Palmetum at Fairchild Tropical Botanical Garden, where Fairchild Director of Collections Dr. Brett Jestrow will narrate.
      While I'm sure many of you have seen the Montgomery Palmetum at FTBG before, this is an opportunity to see it with narration from FTBG's expert, and contributing questions and comments from your fellow palm enthusiasts.
      We will ride the FTBG tram as part of the tour, space available.
      Part Two: After the FTBG tour we'll begin the SFPS portion of the day's program, which has three activities, all included in the price of the SFPS tour:
      1. A picnic lunch, immediately next door at Matheson Hammock Park. We can simply walk there, no need to move your cars, as the picnic area is about 50 yards from the FTBG entrance.
      IMPORTANT! We will need strong volunteers to move picnic tables together for the picnic! This would be best accomplished between 9:30 and 10:00 am, before the FTBG Palmetum tour begins. Please let me know if you can help.
      2. Private garden number one. This is an excellent garden, highly recommended by all who have seen it.
      3. Private garden number two. Another excellent garden, this one includes a Coco de Mer (Lodoicea maldivica) planted in 2002!
      The addresses and location maps to the private gardens will be revealed / handed out that day, just before each garden tour, in scavenger-hunt style. This is done on purpose, as a courtesy to the homeowners, because in the past some folks jumped the gun and showed up at the locations before the homeowners were ready to receive guests.
      Tentative Itinerary:

9:30 am: Gather for check-in, buying SFPS Tour Tickets, assisting with moving tables, etc. Mingle freely and converse with many palm aficionados until the tour begins.
      10:00 am: Part One begins with the FTBG tour of its Palmetum. Ooh and awe.
      12:00 noon: Part Two begins with the SFPS picnic. Consume freely. Eat, drink and be merry. Socialize with your fellow palm nerds.
      1:15 pm: The address and location maps to Private Garden Number One are handed out, and the group begins its drive to that location. (approx 16 minute drive time)
      1:35 pm: The group arrives at Private Garden Number One, the tour begins. Glee and joy.
      2:10 pm: The address and location maps to Private Garden Number Two are handed out, and the group begins its drive to that location. (approx 10 minute drive time)
      2:25 pm: The group arrives at Private Garden Number Two, the tour begins. Wow and other synonyms for happy exclamation.
      3:15 pm: The tour ends. Drive home safely, feeling validated as a true palm nerd, in a euphoric state after having seen such resplendent and bucolic beauty.
      Money:
      Part One: Fairchild will charge their usual admission fee of $25 for adults, $12 for students, $18 for seniors (over 65). If you are a Fairchild member, you get in free. You can join Fairchild on the spot. (PBPCS members - I've heard you have some special arrangement. Your people will let you know about that.)
      Part Two: The South Florida Palm Society portion of the tour is free for SFPS members, $10 for non-members. That includes the picnic lunch. If one wishes to join the SFPS on the spot, annual memberships are $25, $40 for families. Individuals under age 40 pay only $1 (with proof of age).
      PLEASE RSVP ASAP!
      It is very important that we have an accurate head count for Part Two, the SFPS portion of this event. Please let me know by April 30, 2019 if you're coming to Part Two, whether you're an SFPS member or not (we have to know how much water to put in the soup): ElvisCruz@mac.com
      Anticipating Possible Questions:
      Do I have to attend the Fairchild portion? I've already seen it, and / or I don't want to pay to get into Fairchild.
      No, you can show up for the picnic and private garden tours, at 12:00 noon.
      I am a member of TFTS or PBPCS. Do I still have to pay for the picnic and private garden tours?
      Yes. It is $10 for the picnic and private garden tours, and only SFPS members get in free (It is included with their SFPS membership, and you can join that day.)
      I don't want to eat at the picnic, I only want to take the garden tours. Do I still have to pay $10?
      Yes, the $10 includes the picnic and the two private garden tours. You can participate in whichever of the three you like.
      Is the picnic pot luck? Am I supposed to bring a dish to share?
      No, the picnic is not pot luck, it will be complete, including beverages, but if you are a kind-hearted person who wants to bring a dish to share you certainly may.
      I don't like the SFPS. I think you guys are snotty and nerdy. Can I just do the FTBG tour and then leave?
      We are not snotty! Yes, of course, you can do either or both parts of the day's events.
      Please remember to RSVP, ElvisCruz@mac.com
      Please volunteer if you can to help move picnic tables, starting at 9:30 am.
      Have a very Happy Palm Sunday!
      Happy Palming,
      Elvis Cruz
      2019 president,
      South Florida Palm Society

Ryan
    • Palmarum
      By Palmarum
      Spring Garden Tour
      Croton Meeting & Auction
      Saturday, April 6th, 2019
      Palmboo Gardens - (Mike Harris Residence)
      Cooper City, S. Florida

Earlier in the year, Palmtalk and Palmpedia members and local plant people in Central and South Florida began planning a combined event that included a tour of a plant collection, a meeting of Croton and tropical plant enthusiasts and a plant auction that focused on unusual Croton cultivars. This type of event usually takes place both in the spring and the fall and tends to move its location around the southern third of the state, including both coasts. The conversations involving the location and date centered around a topic on Palmpedia. After circulating ideas on locales, gardens, dates, etc. Forum member Mike Harris (waykoolplantz) offered both his yard and time to the event, and with a joint consensus, his residence and collection became the location. Now we just had to wait for April and for the fun to begin...
      - 10:29AM - The time for the meeting was set at 10:30 in the morning. Being only a few minutes away myself, I arrived at about the designated start time after a four minute drive. I was not the first to arrive by far, as there was a line of vehicles parked out front. After entering the grounds, I didn't see anyone at first but I could hear conversations in the distance. I figured the early birds were on their own exploring the collection. I began to meander through the yard, taking photos, looking at what has grown since my last visit. I 'followed the voices' and made a heading towards the house. The grassy knoll that welcomes visitors by the entrance displays a line of deciduous trees, mostly different species of Adansonia. (B) Immediately to my right, a trio of Peach Trees, Prunus persica, were growing with vigor and fruit. I would have to take a closer look later.

- I had one palm in mind that I had to check out first. Up near the house, the Double Coconut, Coco de Mer, Lodoicea maldivica, resides near the edge of a planting bed adjacent to the pool enclosure. It has been growing well in this location for more than a few years. It survived Hurricane Irma and is still growing out of the physical damage. It lost some of its canopy due to the storm and is still adapting to the increase in direct sunlight. 

- The pool enclosure is packed full of Palms and other plants. The palmy surroundings would be the location for the event's lunch time spread. The majority of the plants are container grown and fed with drip irrigation, including the broad Salacca magnifica and the taller Pinanga speciosa.

- Moving left to right, showing the layout. The overhang on the right held the ever-growing lunch spread. The sun was almost directly overhead and made the area underneath dark and hard to compose.

Ryan