IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Areca vestiaria light requirements

Rickybobby

I have a bunch of seedlings that i germinated last summer. Question is. Ate grow lights up high ok for these guys or should they be turned off in the small stage? I have had some with some spotting and I’m not sure if it’s from too bright or maybe they got too much fertilizer or both. I have many lights that can be at different heights and different lengths of time to accommodate my plants. The good news is. Out of say 7 seedlings I have germinated. I have only lost 1. 

Side note will dypsis lutescens be similar for light requirements at the very young age?

I grew Dypsis lutescens in CT for about 10 years with just natural sunlight coming in windows of a room on SW corner of the house.  As seedlings they don't need bright light. Luckily for mine I moved them to S FL where they're very happy. Here's my first one in pic below, gotta be about 20 YO now. It'll be a lot more satisfying to watch the Dypsis grow while experimenting with your cocos.

No personal experience with the vestaria but I suspect a balance of correct humidity/light  will be a challenge indoor.

20190312_092013_zpswuvhstfv.jpg

• Like 1