IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Join me on the upcoming April expedition in Taiwan

PhilMarkey

Hi guys!

It's been many years since I last posted on this forum. Sorry!

Just thought I'd mention my upcoming Taiwan expedition (Fri 26 Apr - Wed 08 May 2019) (13 days) https://www.nature-expeditions.co.uk/tours/taiwan-birds-botany-expedition.php

I know it says "Birds & Botany" and we will be going to good birding places and seeing birds, but everyone who has already signed up so far are coming for the botany, so the whole expedition will be focused on the botany.

I still have a couple of places left so if any of you are interested in joining me you'd be most welcome.

I've been visiting Taiwan for about 24 years, I know the islands exceptionally well, I will be taking you to all the native palms in their natural environments, and I obviously speak Chinese.

Like I said, you'll get a unique opportunity to see the 9 (5 endemic) native palms of Taiwan and Lanyu in their natural environments. But you'll also see many (100s) of other palm species in cultivation, many of which were planted long ago by the Japanese during their occupation of Taiwan. I also specialize in Cycads, bananas and ferns, plus others so if you're also interested in those you're in for a treat!

So the native palms of Taiwan are:

pinanga-tashiroi.jpg

Pinanga tashiroi - Few people ever get to see this gorgeous tall Pinanga. It is endemic to the highest forests of Lanyu island.

areca-catechu-var.-dwarf.jpg

Areca catechu Taiwan has two forms of Areca catechu - the common tall form that was introduced to the main island by the Dutch, and this form (pictured) which is a small or dwarf form, formally called Areca catechu var. batanensis, which is actually native to Lanyu island of Taiwan and the Batanes islands of the Philippines.

arenga-engleri.jpg

Arenga engleri - We'll see these all over Taiwan. There are some varying forms.

calamus-formosanus.jpg

Calamus formosanus - These are quite common all over Taiwan.

calamus-beccarii.jpg

Calamus beccarii - This is rare and only found in one small, remote location.

calamus-siphonospathus-var.-sublaevis.jp

Calamus siphonospathus var. sublaevis - occurs only on Lanyu island.

phoenix-loureiroi-var.-loureiroi-sp.-for

Phoenix loureiroi var. loureiroi - This small date occurs in several isolated populations in Taiwan. It used to be called Phoenix hanceana.

livistona-chinensis-var.-subglobosa.jpg

Livistona chinensis - This is the form with more round-shaped seeds (Livistona chinensis var. subglobosa). There is a population on one of the Taiwan islands that is considered native, but on the whole most of the many groves of this palm on Taiwan are not original.

The last Taiwan palm on this list is the Coconut Cocos nucifera. I'll not bother posting a picture of that!

Like I said, there are many many other palms cultivated in Taiwan, and on this tour you'll get special access to some important collections.

I welcome any questions, you can ask them here or contact me directly via the website, which I'll post again here: https://www.nature-expeditions.co.uk/tours/taiwan-birds-botany-expedition.php

Do hope you can join us! Should be great fun!

Cheers!

Phil

• Like 1

I'm the owner of the Trebrown Nurseries palm seeds & other Exotics' seed site