IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Central Florida Palm & Cycad Society - Spring Field Trip & Meeting - Sat. 04/13/2019 + Sun. 04/14/2019

kinzyjr

CFPACS_1.png

Date:  April 13 & 14, 2019

Location: Mounts Botanical Garden on Saturday plus other locations for Sunday

Address for Mounts: 531 N Military Trl, West Palm Beach

What’s happening:

Saturday, April 13 – 9am to 4pm

The Palm Beach Palm and Cycad Society is hosting their annual one-day fundraiser sale at Mounts Botanical Garden. Over 500 species of Palms & Cycads in all shapes and sizes, a limited supply of a top-rated fertilizer, palm and cycad reference books, Palm Beach Palm & Cycad Society t-shirts available for purchase. (https://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/59521-palm-sale-at-mounts-on-april-13th/)

CFPACS has made arrangements to bring in a special speaker at 1pm.  Jason Dewees.   Jason is the author of Designing with Palms.  Jason Dewees is the staff horticulturist at Flora Grubb Gardens and East West Trees in San Francisco. Responsible for the Tree Canopy Succession Plan for the San Francisco Botanical Garden, he serves on the Horticultural Advisory Committee for the San Francisco Botanical Garden, and on The San Francisco Conservatory of Flowers Advisory Council. He will have books available for sale and signing!

JasonDewees_2.jpg

DesigningWithPalms_5.jpg

Sunday, April 14

CFPACS Board is currently considering a morning stop over at Flamingo Gardens then on to a cycad nursery that will be opening up just for us that day.  Details on Sunday to follow.

Hotel reservations

CFPACS does not have a host hotel but as there appears to be some big events happening in the area around that time, we suggest you find a place to stay sooner rather than later! 

• Upvote 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

Just now, RedRabbit said:

Thanks for the heads up. Do you plan on attending @kinzyjr?

I'm planning on attending at this point.  At this rate, I'll have a conference or a field trip every month of this year LOL.  If you go @RedRabbit, see you there!

• Upvote 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

I plan to be there all the way from Cape Coral. Best deals on palms I've found. One of the highlights of my gardening year.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

1 hour ago, PalmatierMeg said:

I plan to be there all the way from Cape Coral. Best deals on palms I've found. One of the highlights of my gardening year.

I agree Meg! We will be there also, my favorite sale.

• Like 1

Lived in Cape Coral, Miami, Orlando and St. Petersburg Florida.

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update to the initial post with more information about Sunday:

CFPACS_1.png

Fellow Palm and Cycad Enthusiasts,

Your CFPACS Board of Directors is pleased to announce this year’s field trip to Mounts Botanical Garden!  Here are the details.

Date:  April 13 & 14, 2019

Location: Mounts Botanical Garden on Saturday, Flamingo Gardens & Chip Jones Cycad Nursery on Sunday

What’s happening:

Saturday, April 13 – 9am to 4pm

Special Guest Speaker at 1pm

Mounts Botanical Garden

531 N. Military Trail, West Palm Beach

The Palm Beach Palm and Cycad Society is hosting their annual one-day fundraiser sale at Mounts Botanical Garden. Over 500 species of Palms & Cycads in all shapes and sizes, a limited supply of a top-rated fertilizer, palm and cycad reference books, Palm Beach Palm & Cycad Society t-shirts available for purchase.

Those CFPACS vendors wishing to sell at Mounts should contact the Palm Beach Palm & Cycad Society directly.

CFPACS has made arrangements to bring in a special speaker at 1pm.  Jason Dewees.   Jason is the author of Designing with Palms which has just been awarded the 2019 American Horticultural Society Book Award!  He is the staff horticulturist at Flora Grubb Gardens and East West Trees in San Francisco. Responsible for the Tree Canopy Succession Plan for the San Francisco Botanical Garden, he serves on the Horticultural Advisory Committee for the San Francisco Botanical Garden, and on The San Francisco Conservatory of Flowers Advisory Council. He will have books available for sale and signing!

20190331_JD_DWP.png

Sunday, April 14

9:15 AM: Meet at Flamingo Gardens Entrance

3750 South Flamingo Road
Davie, FL 33330-1614

https://www.flamingogardens.org/home.html

Phone:  954-473-2955

At 9:30 we will board transportation which will take us back to the new Cycad Garden which was made possible by Chip Jones and Charles Ross!  If you miss the ride, it’s a 15-20 minute walk back to the collection, so it may be important to you to be there before the gate opens at 9:30.

2nd Stop:  Jones Landscaping Nursery

Lunch on the grill will be provided here by CFPACS – Bring a Chair!

5301 SW 82nd Avenue

Davie FL 33328

954-296-2019

Chipjones14@hotmail.com

http://cycadflorida.com/cycadflorida/Nursery.html

After touring the Cycad Garden at Flamingo Gardens we are going to re-gather at Jones Landscaping Nursery where we will grill and have lunch.  Chip is opening the nursery specifically for us.  For those of you that don’t know, Chip is quite the expert on Cycads so we want to give you as one-on-one time as possible.  We are going to seek volunteers to help with the prep, cooking, and clean up so Chip can interact with the attendees.  Chip has been extraordinarily helpful setting up the Sunday stops. 

Hotel reservations

CFPACS does no have a host hotel but as there appears to be some big events happening in the area around that time, we suggest you find a place to stay sooner rather than later!  Maybe some of you can get together and book an AirBnB and split the cost!

Please email Maryann at this email by April 10 and let us know if you plan to attend one or both days so we can get a head count for the seats and food.

Lakeland, FL

• 2 weeks later...

Just a mid-week reminder.  If you are attending the CFPACS events, let Maryann know.  See you at the show!

Lakeland, FL

• 1 month later...

Photos from the event can be seen on the posts from April 22nd on the CFPCAS Facebook Page.

Lakeland, FL