IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Cryosophila stauracantha seeds

NatureGirl

I have about an extra 200 fresh Cryosophila  stauracantha seeds (rootspine palm) from my own palm. This palm has surprised me with good cold tolerance, it survived 2010 winter unscathed out in the open, not under canopy, except for just minor cosmetic damage. Also the root spines are not mean at all, not super spikey at all.  $8/50 seeds plus $4 shipping or $13/100 plus $5 shipping. Shipping has gone up again!

Beachpalms@cfl.rr.com

EFAF812A-28C5-4506-95D0-C2C55D453ED2.jpeg

2F90B23F-91C1-443C-9FF0-ADB9ABBB439A.jpeg

6F2382AC-C488-411F-91A9-CF52E7049B74.jpeg

F37AD315-BDF7-48A8-80CA-1D6CC705C9A7.jpeg

51C4A559-E4E7-404D-87FB-7DE6F9DFE471.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Warrior Palm Princess, Satellite Beach, Florida

Charlene, was your 2010 winter lows in the mid-20's?  Do you think it's as hardy as C. warscewiczii (zone 9b)?  I believe both of these make good indoor palms as well.

Jon

Jon Sunder

Hi Jon, IDK, I had C. Warscewicii in pots and they were always brown tipped from the salt here, so I got rid of them. Stauracantha is never like that. The problem with the 2010 winter wasn’t so much the ultimate low 29F ? Here, but day after day after day of very cold temps. Where I lost a lot of mature Palms. I always thought Stauracantha was hardier, but I guess I never tested warscewiczii.

All Sold, Thanks. Will have seedlings later on....

• 2 weeks later...

Nice!  My C. warscewiczii seedlings took at least 6-8 weeks.  Bet you get lots of interest in these seedlings too.  :)

Jon Sunder