IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Handicrafts from edited Caryota trunks

DoomsDave

So, I've edited my Caryotas of Doom, and I've got a bunch of wood I was going to burn in my Tree-Ma-ToriaTM (fireplaces) but maybe I should make something instead.

I've seen pictures of gorgeous bowls, etc., made from palm wood.

Anyone have any thoughts, experiences, about this?

I have a lot of wood

C47BECEA-AFCD-4100-BFBC-45A4E552CCED.thumb.jpeg.8a2574d64a47dcd5c40c265597e772b0.jpegFBDB2A7B-1975-4D2F-B039-7293FDF86914.thumb.jpeg.028022cd04a4accf94be190358e93c09.jpeg53B7AC79-30C1-4EC5-AD4E-E72766ACBF87.thumb.jpeg.209e8e5dd8b4d34fda7fd2561bc75669.jpeg

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Dave, I believe you should keep 10 or 12 pieces and discard the rest.  Think of the land available that is now covered by this debris pile.  :)

San Francisco, California

2 minutes ago, Darold Petty said:

Dave, I believe you should keep 10 or 12 pieces and discard the rest.  Think of the land available that is now covered by this debris pile.  :)

Yeah, it will promote some Zen restraint, and mindfulness, which I need to exercise a lot more of. The wood burns great once it dries, and the ashes are full of potash, which palms LOVE. Ashes to ashes, ashes to palms. How's that for recycling? (Twang on one of those Zen Harp Thingies, like Morticia Addams . . . )

I think most of the wood from the tops is too spongy to be very useful for anything. But the bottom parts, much different.

• Like 1

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

With that much wood, maybe you could use the rounds yo create walkways around your garden of doom.

love-the-gravel-in-between-wood-stepping-stones-made-from-tree-tree-stump-stepping-stones.jpg

126f243c53b5fe635cc7f9b53558d566.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Josue Diaz said:

With that much wood, maybe you could use the rounds yo create walkways around your garden of doom.

love-the-gravel-in-between-wood-stepping-stones-made-from-tree-tree-stump-stepping-stones.jpg

126f243c53b5fe635cc7f9b53558d566.jpg

Those are nice, but I like bricks better.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, DoomsDave said:

But the bottom parts, much different.

Dave, you can bring one to the next So Cal Palm Society meeting for your very own custom stool!:D  Alternatively, you could stand on one to elevate yourself during the auction and see all the bid numbers better.

• Like 4

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

after seeing your post of the smashed van i cut mine down before it got to big. I dont know if im just sensitive but about an hour later i broke out in a extremely itchy rash all over my hands and arms. lasted a few hours too. 

A16F8547-F461-4C1D-80FC-B99CF9E91EA4.jpeg

D20E07D7-DA70-45EA-8BC5-1ECF9866A4E2.jpeg

4C66C037-F15A-46D4-AA46-58581EACF585.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

I know the seeds from all Caryotas contain an irritant that is so troublesome that most recommend that gloves be worn when handling them.  You may want to check that it's safe to burn the cut up trunks before actually doing it.  Burning them may release some toxic fumes.  

Winter Springs (Orlando area), Florida

Zone 9b/10a

3 hours ago, Stevetoad said:

after seeing your post of the smashed van i cut mine down before it got to big. I dont know if im just sensitive but about an hour later i broke out in a extremely itchy rash all over my hands and arms. lasted a few hours too. 

So Steve how old was yours and which one was it Caryota olancha, urens or ???  Trying to decide how big to let mine get, as well as a Caryota gigas that will be a challenge due to it being on a slope in a backyard.  I'm not sure what mine is, as it was labeled Caryota no, but it's proven otherwise.

4 hours ago, Stevetoad said:

A16F8547-F461-4C1D-80FC-B99CF9E91EA4.jpeg

D20E07D7-DA70-45EA-8BC5-1ECF9866A4E2.jpeg

4C66C037-F15A-46D4-AA46-58581EACF585.jpeg

Cut down my mitis when it went to seed and I experienced the same irritation. I wore proper clothing and eye protection and still had discomfort.

I tried to be very careful with the inflorescence as that it was contains the irritant.

Last year, I had a gigas removed that went to seed and informed the team cutting to be careful and not one of them had any problems. 

Like Tracy, I still have 1 gigas and 2 urens type left to deal with. None are flowering yet, but I’m always thinking perhaps sooner then later.

I think the irritation is an individual thing.

I was practically immersed in Caryota stuff, and no real problem for me. I even got a bit in my eye .. . .

No problem.

Might be an interesting survey to see who's irritated by caryotoid sap and who isn't.

This is why I don't plant caryota's in my garden. Nice plant but gonna be work down the road to cut them out

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

Crafton once told me there was some kind of acid in the sap and ski. Of the fresh seed that causes many to break out in a very itchy rash. Even through clothing. 

rare flowering trees, palms and other exotics

1 hour ago, Josh-O said:

Nice plant but gonna be work down the road to cut them out

This one is going to be tough because it sits on the slope, hanging over a covered patio.... and the photo is now a couple of months away from 6 years old.  It's the Caryota gigas which has grown a lot in the last 6 years.

20130624-IMG_5538_Caryota_gigas_Carlsbad.jpg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tracy said:

This one is going to be tough because it sits on the slope, hanging over a covered patio.... and the photo is now a couple of months away from 6 years old.  It's the Caryota gigas which has grown a lot in the last 6 years.

20130624-IMG_5538_Caryota_gigas_Carlsbad.jpg

Still gorgeous!

But temporary, alas.

Not sure how tipsy gigas are compared to urens. Hope not as much.

Anyone know?

2 minutes ago, Tracy said:

Dave, you can bring one to the next So Cal Palm Society meeting for your very own custom stool!:D  Alternatively, you could stand on one to elevate yourself during the auction and see all the bid numbers better.

If you carry it for me! Those hernia trusses get confining after a while . . . :rolleyes:

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Josh-O said:

This is why I don't plant caryota's in my garden. Nice plant but gonna be work down the road to cut them out

Lesson learned......never again on planting one, at least at my current garden.

20 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

So, I've edited my Caryotas of Doom, and I've got a bunch of wood I was going to burn in my Tree-Ma-ToriaTM (fireplaces) but maybe I should make something instead.

I've seen pictures of gorgeous bowls, etc., made from palm wood.

Anyone have any thoughts, experiences, about this?

I have a lot of wood

C47BECEA-AFCD-4100-BFBC-45A4E552CCED.thumb.jpeg.8a2574d64a47dcd5c40c265597e772b0.jpegFBDB2A7B-1975-4D2F-B039-7293FDF86914.thumb.jpeg.028022cd04a4accf94be190358e93c09.jpeg53B7AC79-30C1-4EC5-AD4E-E72766ACBF87.thumb.jpeg.209e8e5dd8b4d34fda7fd2561bc75669.jpeg

Pity you didn’t leave some 6-10 footers.  

TikiRick is a master with a chainsaw (hint-.screenname)

Have him flyby and work his voodoo.....add some tiki torches and some rum and you have a pop up Trader Vic’s in your own backyard

• Like 1

The Palm Mahal

Hollywood Fla

5 minutes ago, waykoolplantz said:

Pity you didn’t leave some 6-10 footers.  

TikiRick is a master with a chainsaw (hint-.screenname)

Have him flyby and work his voodoo.....add some tiki torches and some rum and you have a pop up Trader Vic’s in your own backyard

I wanted those expletives taken down, somehow some way to avoid future disasters.

Hmm, already have the rum..... :rolleyes:

2 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

Hmm, already have the rum..... :rolleyes:

tho it will make a good topic...some of my plant friends have gone overboard on really old rums..... guilty as charged

what is your fave rum ?

The Palm Mahal

Hollywood Fla

Yeah.....    Make stack-able interchangeable Tiki poles! :D,,  while drinking rum........

Edited by jimmyt

10 minutes ago, waykoolplantz said:

tho it will make a good topic...some of my plant friends have gone overboard on really old rums..... guilty as charged

what is your fave rum ?

That 12 year old Dominican Republic stuff  . . . .

19 hours ago, Palm Tree Jim said:

Cut down my mitis when it went to seed and I experienced the same irritation. I wore proper clothing and eye protection and still had discomfort.

I tried to be very careful with the inflorescence as that it was contains the irritant.

Last year, I had a gigas removed that went to seed and informed the team cutting to be careful and not one of them had any problems. 

Like Tracy, I still have 1 gigas and 2 urens type left to deal with. None are flowering yet, but I’m always thinking perhaps sooner then later.

Hey Jim, If you look carefully at the middle photo i posted you can see the red latin palm I got from you on the far left. Hard to see but its doing great. No winter damage either this year and my winter has been really cold.

• Like 1

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

19 hours ago, Tracy said:

So Steve how old was yours and which one was it Caryota olancha, urens or ???  Trying to decide how big to let mine get, as well as a Caryota gigas that will be a challenge due to it being on a slope in a backyard.  I'm not sure what mine is, as it was labeled Caryota no, but it's proven otherwise.

mine was maxima. it was about 5 years old. It was a one gallon when i bought it and didnt grow hardly at all the first 3 years. Then turned into a rocket over night.  

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

14 minutes ago, Stevetoad said:

Hey Jim, If you look carefully at the middle photo i posted you can see the red latin palm I got from you on the far left. Hard to see but its doing great. No winter damage either this year and my winter has been really cold.

Great to hear it’s doing well!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

That 12 year old Dominican Republic stuff  . . . .

My two current faves are Centenario 25...and ElDorado 21.

thereare a few 30 year old runs that are incredible to taste..and painful on the wallet

The Palm Mahal

Hollywood Fla

If you have pieces big enough you could make a park bench out of them!  I did that with chunks of oak trunk, I just sliced the top flat with a chainsaw and notched the bottom for legs.  An angle grinder with a 40 grit "flap pad" does a great job of smoothing out the saw marks.