IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

What kind of palm is this?

Blofish

Agree: Ravenea rivularis. Is the palm in the photo the one you are thinking of transplanting? That could be a very expensive, labor intensive project. I don't know how root sensitive majesties are at that size but you likely can do better buying a trunking palm from a nursery. Majesties are not rare in CA, or anywhere else for that matter now they are marketed as houseplants at every BB garden center.

But if you plan to hire someone be sure the guy really understands the process of transplanting palms, which are not typical dicot trees. Countless palms have been fatally damaged by hacks posing as tree trimmers. If you plan to do it yourself,  be prepared for a drawn-out process and a lot of work. First, you should do the process of "trenching" as follows:

Step #1: dig a vertical trench about 1/4 of the way around the trunk, 2-3' away and 2-3' deep. Wait 1 month.    Step #2: Dig the trench another 1/4 way around the palm. Wait 1 month.  Step #3: Repeat step 2.   Step #4: Complete the trench encircling the trunk. Wait 1 month.     Step #5: Undercut the trench to form a rootball. Remove palm from hole and transport to new planting site where you have a new planting hole prepared and plant. Water in and wait.

The purpose of trenching is to cut roots in increments, then give them a month to heal rather than rip the palm out of the ground all at once and maybe cause fatal root damage.

A lot of work and expense. Is a majesty palm worth it? Not in my lifetime but only you know if it is in yours.

Welcome to PalmTalk. Keep us apprised if you undertake this project.

• Like 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Well, the smaller the palm the better the chances of transplantation. Maybe someone in CA will help you out. Palms that grow well there seldom do well in FL so I know little about them. Why must it be a palm that must be transplanted?

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

It is a budget thing. We are re-landscaping a low to moderate income housing project and residents are paying. This size of tree wold be a great specimen. I have been told Kentias are easy to transplant and there are others that are not. This tree needs to be taken out because of the power lines above. So I can do the work but if it must be done over a period of time we would lose that opportunity. 

I know of a magesty palm up here in Northern CA Thant was transplanted at that size and it came through to process really well. Even with a relatively small root ball (about 3’ x 3’ x3’). It needed daily watering for a period of a couple of months and then twice weekly drenches before just going on the area’s sprinkler system. 

It’s worth a try since the palm has to be removed anyway. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

Could you tell us more about the project? I ask because in doing so, you may elicit a few offers of donated palms. They may not be big specimens, but sometimes planting small-to-medium sized palms and seeing the growth over 5 years is more rewarding than the labor of moving a palm. (Although I would not discourage you from moving this palm.)

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

That is a very generous offer.  About our project: It is a real "trailer park" in Seal Beach that started in the 1930's.  The City established it as a part of their low-income housing requirement and the residents took over the ownership under their own 501c3 non-profit.  It is about 3 acres and very tight spacing as most of Orange County. The park was rebuilt in 1978 with a lot of Brazillian Pepper trees and Ficus that lifted the ground, sidewalks, asphalt and jacuzzi and there are roots in the sewer lines.

We are not fully dependent on freebies but happy to accept them or reasonable pricing because we will exhaust our dollars to complete the job.  We are governed by a Board like any HOA and promised to deliver a new look within a budget, so we are buying wholesale but looking to supplement and donations can be written off - we can provide that paperwork.

Park was called "Seal Beach Trailer Park" and renamed "Seal Beach Shores", and of course a palm tree in our logo; we are looking to make it appear tropical. Not interested in Queens or Washitonians.  We are not lazy and willing to excavate and have some with a little experience yet willing to learn more. The project was voted with 75% approval and is underway!  The reason we would like a few special large specimens is to replace some of the bigger trees we removed that upset the 25% against the removal. Other than that, I agree with your recommendation of enjoying the growth of smaller trees and we plan for those as well. Thank you again for your kind consideration.

Screen Shot 2019-03-08 at 4.50.40 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-03-08 at 4.47.52 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-03-08 at 4.50.08 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-03-08 at 4.49.02 AM.png

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

if you do succeed in transplanting this palm and having it survive, you will probably have to cut most of the leaves to prevent desiccation with the very limited root structure after chopping.  The slow root pruning method Meg described is likely the only way to have it survive without loss of most of the leaves and intensive care afterwards.   This "root p[rune" method allows the growth of new roots prior to transplant so the palm can take up water and nutrients.  If you want the tree to look good going in, I'd get a larger specimen that has already been pruned or grown in a big box. 

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

Information in this thread is kinda vague. Like you're trying to fix up the area without a good plan or enough money.

Considering trying to transplant that Palm is commendable. However it's not something you're going to do by hand with a couple guys. Do you have a backhoe or other large equipment to move it with a sling? Have you ever done that type of transplant work before? Trying to save a few bucks and get a large plant at the same time is a nice idea but the cost of a plant is minor compared to the excavation, concrete, pipe replacement, and asphalt work the site needs.

While the large trees seem to be getting the blame for some issues the pics you posted indicate poor compaction of base materials before concrete, asphalt, and brick work was done the last time the property was refurbished. In the pics presented, areas that have sunken appear more significant than places roots have pushed things up. Even in the last pic of the parking lot cracks, the area where cars drive on has sunken as you can see the pavement curve up to the parking blocks. Have you had an engineering company make recommendations to correct all of the compaction issues? 

It's implied that the large trees will be cut down. Once they're removed what about the root systems? Will they be left to rot? If so that can cause a whole new set of issues a few years down the road.

In short, you've got some big infrastructure issues that need attention that make the cost of a palm insignificant. 

• Like 1