IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Parajubaea ID

Marius

Hi Everyone. 

I just bought these two beautiful Parajubaeas. I’m so excited to finally get Parajubaea. Not sure which species they are. I suspect that the one in the ground is torallyi due to rusty colour under the pinnae. 

Any thoughts will be welcomed. 

Now I have to make a plan to get them to my house. I’m in Bloemfontein, Free State and the palms are in Gauteng Province. 

9B8DD250-74B9-48DF-B105-622D0F2605C3.jpeg

7943DF43-CB76-4FC8-835E-59F3D60AB54E.jpeg

78590D4C-8F12-41F1-9F46-77BE84D4DD83.jpeg

• Like 3

very, very nice Marius! they look like torallyi to me. Will you be digging that one out of the ground?

• Upvote 1

Thanks Josue. Yes, I’ll have to dig it up, wrap the rootball and transport it to my house.  I’ll have the hole ready this side to plant it as soon as I get back home. Hope it transplants well. 

On 3/7/2019 at 7:43 PM, Marius said:

Thanks Josue. Yes, I’ll have to dig it up, wrap the rootball and transport it to my house.  I’ll have the hole ready this side to plant it as soon as I get back home. Hope it transplants well. 

good luck with the transplant. let us know how it goes

I have no idea how to identify Parajubaea, they just don't survive here in FL.  But those are really beautiful!  :D

• Upvote 1

I am curious to see how this one hold up. I transplanted a few in well rooted 15 gal pot. Most of them didn't make it. Do post update on them. Good luck. 

Edited by xvang01
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...

The big Parajubaea has now been dug up and wrapped. Hopefully the transport people will have it here on Saturday. I hope it makes it.  Fingers crossed. 

Im also buying 2 smallish Brahea and 2 Livistona. Both species unknown. The tall Livistona in the pot I got for free. 

EE58829B-FD1C-4DCB-A444-954732348B5C.jpeg

867177C8-E06C-41B6-AE31-E6DE35EF8D18.jpeg

Do you guys think that I should cut the Parajubaea leaves - remove some or half the leaves (cut off the top halves)

Why do you want to cut the leaves?

07690.gif

elevation 328 feet

distance from mediteranean sea 1,1 mile

lowest t° 2009/2010 : 27F

lowest t° 2008/2009 : 33F

lowest t° 2007/2008 : 32F

lowest t° 2006/2007 : 35F

lowest t° 2005/2006 : 27F

lowest t° 2004/2005 : 25F

Historical lowest t° 1985 : 18F

Nice score! They look more like my Torallyi than the Sunkha I have planted out.  Hope they do well for you with the transplant.    I have not done a lot of transplanting, but did find this quote from Don Hodel in an article for the American Journal of Horticultural Science: "In most instances leaf removal during transplanting does not appear to be advantageous, and it is probably best to remove leaves only when they die and turn brown."

9 hours ago, gilles06 said:

Why do you want to cut the leaves?

I think that it helps the plant to survive while its roots establish. Just something I’ve always done. 

53 minutes ago, Firepalm said:

Nice score! They look more like my Torallyi than the Sunkha I have planted out.  Hope they do well for you with the transplant.    I have not done a lot of transplanting, but did find this quote from Don Hodel in an article for the American Journal of Horticultural Science: "In most instances leaf removal during transplanting does not appear to be advantageous, and it is probably best to remove leaves only when they die and turn brown."

Thanks Firepalm. I think it looks more torallyi too, but the seller said that it is sunkha. 

I’lol leave the leaves then. Will keep you guys updated. 

4 hours ago, Firepalm said:

I would agree about retaining their leaves as there may be some translocation/remobilization of nutrients from the older leaves back into the plant after transplanting, to aid new root and frond development. Even if that's not true, in my experience Parajubaea seem to deeply 'resent' root disturbances. I moved a couple of mine from pots into the ground and it took them over a year to adjust and start growing again in earnest.  But perhaps that was particular to my circumstances, location and climate?  :unsure:

• Upvote 1