IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Need help identifying what's wrong

Snoopcad

Hello everyone. I joined this forum seeking help with what's wrong with my queen palm tree. I've gone to a local pest control place and all they recommended putting a insecticide around the base and the affected area. My tree company that trims the palm obviously just wants to remove the tree. Any ideas what is wrong with it and what if anything I can do to save it? Here are a few pics of the tree. I have notice some small ants traveling up the tree in the evening but haven't seen many since I applied the insecticide. Thanks. 

Screenshot_20190303-211206_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20190303-211125_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20190303-211144_Photos.jpg

I don't know what is wrong with the palm but you may need someone else to get up there and inspect it properly to see the extent and reason for the damage.

It may be some chainsaw clumsiness causing a bit of local damage. If it is no more extensive than it looks it may be ok.

It looks to me that there has been some damage done be some sharp tool

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.

No, here's what happened. I had the exact same thing happen on a syagrus amara I sold this year. Soft tissue got damaged by one of the hurricanes in the past couple of years. Insects got into the damaged tissue. The tree kept growing, the tissue hardened up. When the boots came off the damage was obvious. On the amara, they removed some of the boots on the job site and found what look like somebody had hit with a machete. But that was impossible under the boots, the tree was perfect when I left my farm. And it was healed up. I couldn't figure it out. Ken Johnson responded to a picture I sent him, and recognized it for what it was. You can live with it, battle scars from the weather war, or replace the tree. It won't ever get better. But it may not get any worse. Here is the cut on my Amara. If you look closely you can see it's healed up. And that'll happened under the boots. Those big heavy heads on syagrus get whipped around in high wind, it does some damage to that soft tissue up in the crown. And it's not visible until the boots are off.

Screenshot_20190306-225206.jpg

Edited by kurt decker