IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Hardy palms for mostly shade..

Alex Anthony

My front yard has a couple of large deciduous trees. When they leaf out it will be mostly shade. Will Pindo palms grow in a place with only partial sun? Options are limited in our zone 8a.

14 minutes ago, Alex Anthony said:

My front yard has a couple of large deciduous trees. When they leaf out it will be mostly shade. Will Pindo palms grow in a place with only partial sun? Options are limited in our zone 8a.

Sure they will be a bit more stretched and slower but they should do fine. 

When I think of cold-hardiness and shade, I think of chamaedorea.

Sabal Minor, Louisiana, Birmingham, etc.   Trachy will do ok there as well

• Like 1

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

IMO  C. radicalis will have a hard time in Wilmington, especially since the winter protection will vanish in the winter. L. Chinensis is probably a stretch as well.  The OP didn't specify what size palm he's looking for, obviously big differences from the options provided thus far.  

I'm talking about a Butia when I say Pindo. Not many feathery fronded palms will live here. Mostly fan palms. Home Depot is selling 3 foot high Pygmy Dates for 14.00 but I think they are a push in this growing zone.

Most of the Butia and many Palmetto died in New bern NC during Jan 2018.  But they are popular there and may live for many years.  So it's a risk if you plant one depending on the weather year to year.  Pygmy date stands no chance except in pot.

Edited by Allen

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

Hey Alex and welcome to PT, 

Livistonia Chinensis is more of a perennial palm in NC. It may defoliate in the winter but is extremely root hardy and will rejuvenate in the spring. The few cold hardy species Chamaedorea seem to act as a perennial in NC as well. 

If you want something else besides Butia, I would consider Phoenix Canariensis or Sylvestris. I have seen both species in the Wilmington area and there are some P. Canariensis as far north as Atlantic Beach which survived last winter.  

• Like 1

Zone 8a/8b Greenville, NC 

Zone 9a/9b Bluffton, SC

I think of Sabal minor and rhapidophyllum hystrix under trees. Both are quite cold hardy. 

• Like 3

My Rhapis sp. loves the shade and seems very hardy. The leaves looked damaged from around 2" of snow accumulation a few weeks ago, but the damage seems to have been temporary. I have heard that even if they are frozen to the ground that new stems will sprout from the root system.

Hi 65˚, Lo 45˚ (so far)

• Upvote 1

Casas Adobes - NW of Tucson since July 2014

formerly in the San Carlos region of San Diego

On 3/9/2019 at 12:23 AM, Tom in Tucson said:

My Rhapis sp. loves the shade and seems very hardy. The leaves looked damaged from around 2" of snow accumulation a few weeks ago, but the damage seems to have been temporary. I have heard that even if they are frozen to the ground that new stems will sprout from the root system.

Hi 65˚, Lo 45˚ (so far)

I agree with the Rhapis. I am growing one here and I might get some more. 

Zone 8a/8b Greenville, NC 

Zone 9a/9b Bluffton, SC