IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Smoke in Palm Beach County 3/5/19

NOT A TA

Smelled like a house in back of mine was on fire, an hour later it still smelled. You can see smoke in the air as cars with headlights on pass by. Started surfing around online looking for "news" about a fire in the area. Turns out there's a controlled burn south of Lake Okeechobee and abnormal wind pattern is sending it our way, I'm like 50 miles away.  22,000 acre burn seems big to me for a "controlled burn" considering the wind and time of year (our dry season). I'm curious how they can control a 22,000 acre fire in 13-14 MPH wind?  News   https://www.wpbf.com/article/concerns-over-smoke-in-palm-beach-county/26682517

Edited by NOT A TA
  • Like 1

Someone was probably burning the stubble on harvested sugar cane fields. Those remains will enrich the soil for future plantings. When I worked at a mitigation bank on a State wildlife preserve, we would sometimes burn invasive grasses. Controlled burns are complicated process that involves getting permits from State and Federal agencies that specify how, when, where and under what conditions a burn can be done. They usually can't be done during wet season because of rainfall. The wind may have slightly changed direction and sent some of the smoke your way - these things happen.

If you are brand new to FL, be aware that as temps rise during the latter part of dry season, the whole State may be plagued by rampant brush fires that burn 1,000s of acres and turn the air rancid with smoke for many miles around. Those wild fires will be imminent threats until rainy season ends them.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Thanks for the info Meg. I've seen controlled burns farther North and wasn't aware they were done South of the lake. Bought the house in 05 and did the snow bird thing a few years then sold the house up North and moved here full time, never had smoke while I've been here. Usually the breeze comes off the ocean heading West so we wouldn't get the smoke but the wind was NNW yesterday evening so it just rolled on in..