IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

I like the new look!

Keith N Tampa (ex SoJax)

Good Job Dean & Co!

• Like 2

Land O Lakes FL, a suburb on the North Side of Tampa, FL

Summers are great, 90f/32c in the day & 70f/21c at night with plentiful rain & sun

Winters are subtropical with occasional frosts and freezes. Tropical cyclones happen.

We have a few Royal palms in the warm microclimates but Coconuts freeze.

I am a Kayaker, Hiker, Bicyclist, and amateur Photographer that loves the outdoors.  

I like the new design and color scheme!  Navigating by tabs is intuitive and green is my favorite color too! :greenthumb:

I think the new look works very well! 

Edited by PalmTreeDude

PalmTreeDude

The IPS banner is a little much on Mobile. Now that it has been added, there are two banners at the top of the page so more scrolling is required on every interaction.  Apart from that I like the changes.

Edited by RedRabbit

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

12 hours ago, RedRabbit said:

The IPS banner is a little much on Mobile. Now that it has been added, there are two banners at the top of the page so more scrolling is required on every interaction.  Apart from that I like the changes.

I identified a conflict in handling the responsive sizes in Mobile. Tell me if you don't think it is much improved now. I still have a little work to do to cover all sizes and devices.

Thanks to those of you who help make this a fun and friendly forum.

2 hours ago, Hilo Jason said:

The new design looks great. Nice job Dean! 

Thanks, but all I did is install and implement it. As mentioned in the original announcement, the color scheme and layout was created by those working on the new IPS Main Site and is meant to closely match the look of what it will eventually look like.

23 hours ago, PALM MOD said:

I identified a conflict in handling the responsive sizes in Mobile. Tell me if you don't think it is much improved now. I still have a little work to do to cover all sizes and devices.

Thanks, I do notice some improvement. I’d suggest removing the IPS banner though, it’s in a very high value spot and doesn’t really do much. An IPS icon in the header that takes you to the forum index might be an ideal alternative. 

Edited by RedRabbit

12 hours ago, RedRabbit said:

Thanks, I do notice some improvement. I’d suggest removing the IPS banner though, it’s in a very high value spot and doesn’t really do much. An IPS icon in the header that takes you to the forum index might be an ideal alternative. 

I agree it takes up space in a less than ideal location for readers. However, that banner helps pay for a big portion of the hosting fees for PalmTalk. As a non-profit, those ad dollars are really needed. You would be surprised how much it cost to run PT. 

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

13 minutes ago, LJG said:

I agree it takes up space in a less than ideal location for readers. However, that banner helps pay for a big portion of the hosting fees for PalmTalk. As a non-profit, those ad dollars are really needed. You would be surprised how much it cost to run PT. 

Clicking the IPS banner just directs you to the forum index. I understand the site needs to generate some income, but the IPS banner isn't configured to do that.

In contrast to the IPS banner, Paul Craft’s banner below is set up for revenue purposes and I’m perfectly fine with that. :greenthumb:

Edited by RedRabbit

3 hours ago, RedRabbit said:

Clicking the IPS banner just directs you to the forum index. I understand the site needs to generate some income, but the IPS banner isn't configured to do that.

In contrast to the IPS banner, Paul Craft’s banner below is set up for revenue purposes and I’m perfectly fine with that. :greenthumb:

There appears to be a little confusion as to what you termed the IPS Banner - but I understand.

The IPS logo was placed there in lieu of the PalmTalk "Banner" identifying the site. The PT logo no longer matched the color theme, and I believe the designers wanted to prominently identify the site as a property of the IPS. I think we need something that continues the PalmTalk name, yet clearly identifies the site as an extension of the IPS. We'll work on it.

• Upvote 1

Couldn't the banner go something like, "PalmTalk.org, official online forum of the International Palm Society?" 

PalmTreeDude

• 1 month later...

Haven't been on much recently but was posting the last few days and I would be remiss to not stop and say kudos to the person/persons/team that designed the new website. Sophisticated and minimalistic, easy to read,  nice job! I especially like the new masthead graphic and colorized text. Perfect "green" look. Happy to see that the name "Palm Talk" was kept around for people more familiar with that so that they know they've landed in the same spot.

Zone 9b (formerly listed as Zone 9a); Sunset 14