IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Veitchia Merrillii root sensitivity

bdaalex

Hi All, I have been offered two Christmas Palms from a friend as they have outgrown their pots and they dont have space in their garden. However, it seems they are going to be very tough to get out of the terracotta pots. As breaking the pots are not an option, we may have to cut the roots around the edge. I don't know whether this species is particularly sensitive or resilient to root cutting and I'm just worried its not worth the effort.

As you can see, they are good sized palms and likely very root bound. Is there anything else I should consider when putting these in the ground? Am I overthinking this and they are appropriately sized for the pot (root ball)?

ChristmasPalms.jpg

I am no expert on Adonidia merrillii, but have seen them in Belize sitting in similar clay pots in blazing noonday sun, completely dry (to all appearances) and looking reasonably healthy. But they do much better in the ground. Take heart -- if you kill them, they are easily replaced. To my eye, they are beyond ready for transplanting. But if you don't want to un-pot them, they may tolerate their little prisons for several more years.

I'm not sure what you mean by "cut the roots around the edge" -- slide a knife in between the pot and the rootball to detach? If the friends are more attached to the pots than the palms, just go buy a couple of cheap Christmas Palms for your garden.

• Upvote 1

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Two people should be able to pull/leverage those Adonidias out of those pots if they are willing to work up a sweat. Lay out a couple quilts as padding, tip pots over, then get to work freeing the sides of the rootball and pulling the palms out sideways. As weedy as this species is, they should do fine. Cold is about the only thing they can't hack.

• Upvote 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

thanks for the input. leaving them in the pots is not an option, as the pots have another use planned for them shortly. they are unfortunately very wedged in there and a a knife or saw will have to be used to cut the root ball about an inch in from the pots edge. they will then go straight in the ground.

hopefully they make it! while christmas palms are very uncommon, two this size would be over 600 each in bermuda. everything is very expensive here.

I would pull them out then mostly dry. I’ve watered a pot to try and pull palms out before. It’s much heavier and in my experience the rootball crumbles when you do. It can happen when dry but at least it’s lighter! 

Max 

Go for it. Their value makes the effort to save them worthwhile. I believe they should come through well. Try to give them the maximum rootball you can.

Meg

Florida

If you have the time, saw 1/3 of the roots, wait a week, saw another 1/3 of the roots, wait another week, complete the task. For palms with sensitive roots, this process gives the cut roots a chance to harden off while the remaining roots are still undamaged. I'm extrapolating this technique from a process called "trenching" that is used when transplanting sensitive palms in the ground. I have not done this with a potted palm myself. However, it is certain Meg has more experience with these palms than me.

I do agree it is easier when the soil is dry.

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

I like Kim's idea.

Meg

Florida