IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Staghorn Fern question

Logolight

I just bought a quart sized Staghorn fern and I want to pot it up and hang it under my front porch.  However, all of the websites that discuss Staghorn care refer to wall mounting techniques which is not what I want to do.  Can anyone suggest any tips on planting in a hanging pot?  I know to avoid direct sunlight but Im looking for soil and fertilizer suggestion.

Thanks.  Dave

Jacksonville, FL

Zone 9a

First Officer

Air Wisconsin Airlines (USairways Express)

Canadair Regional Jet

Base: ORF

41 minutes ago, Logolight said:

I just bought a quart sized Staghorn fern and I want to pot it up and hang it under my front porch.  However, all of the websites that discuss Staghorn care refer to wall mounting techniques which is not what I want to do.  Can anyone suggest any tips on planting in a hanging pot?  I know to avoid direct sunlight but Im looking for soil and fertilizer suggestion.

Thanks.  Dave

Shouldn't be an issue growing it in a hanging pot. Remember seeing a lot of larger-sized specimens sold in baskets, vs.  mounted on wood planks.  When in a basket, ( generally a wire or wood slat type), most people line it with Coconut fiber, then fill with a rich, but well draining potting soil, then add in the plant (s) and that was about it.

Over time, they can get quite large (..and heavy ) We'd had a large, potted specimen at a nursery i had worked for in Sarasota that actually broke it's chain during a storm. Have seen others that took two people to move / re-hang after coming down in similar situations.  

As far as water / fert.? The bigger plants i recall usually were left on their own.. Maybe receiving a good soaking once a week during the driest / hottest part of the year there. I myself would keep smaller plants moist but not soaked until they get themselves established. As for feeding, same big 'ol specimens never received any, and looked fine. You could use a diluted fertilizer once or twice a year if you desired.. but i don't think it is overly important..

Other members here might have different thoughts on this to share.. 

Other than that, a pretty easy plant to grow.. 

• Like 1

An old school practice with Platycerium  was to add banana skins as a source of potassium.  Store up banana  skins in the freezer, then emulsify them in the blender with water.  Pour this mixture over the plant.  I have done this in the past but can't really say if it helps or not. :winkie: 

My plant, in the crotch of a Metrosideros tree, grows really well.  I do use weekly irrigation for this plant.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

San Francisco, California

I've seen them grown both ways where I live. A friend grows theirs in massive hanging pots in rich potting soil. They are the biggest specimens I've seen locally (in a dry, interior climate).

• Upvote 1

52369147_2097220353921231_4894206617811156992_n.jpg.53e1a79ccf89ee181fb113e0a8e6fcf3.jpg52590209_300351657342734_6872682207496896512_n.jpg.8ff8d60357df786e5c41bfb237c34047.jpgThis one I mounted at my mothers place. Removed from the old house in 2010 ( mission impossible ) and after 2 years it fell off this wall. I re mounted with dyna bolts and all sorts of fancy rigging ropes and knots in 2014. It has increased in size and covered up my rope work and is now self attached to the wall. I wouldn't have thought it was an ideal location ( too much midday sun in summer and lots of 100f days ( extremes 113f and 23f ).

As for the feeding/fertilizing, yes people do use banana skins.... never bothered myself. On my mostly twice yearly visits down south to my mothers place, I just mix up a brew of Power Feed or Seasol, sometimes Fish Emulsion. It seems quite happy in this not so optimal location. I also mounted one on my sister's wall ( it thrives on neglect and scant rain water that blows in under the roof. Got its first Power Feed the other week when I visited..... again very healthy

Edited by greysrigging
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Stag or Elk.....?  I get them mixed up. At my sister's house

52333026_2554152171268702_6745834080736116736_n.jpg.59e88f9190723da858c5b67666728df1.jpg

52536829_406293929942847_7341570444400525312_n.jpg.08c8472b5fb33ff0acee75e3ce112dcf.jpg

This mounting job was also a 'mission impossible' Damn heavy !

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

There's a guy in the local garden club who grows them in old motorbike helmets....... not seen them myself but I have a mental picture.....:D

• Like 1

Thank you all for the insight.

Jacksonville, FL

Zone 9a

First Officer

Air Wisconsin Airlines (USairways Express)

Canadair Regional Jet

Base: ORF

Stag --S -- Single big plant Platycerium superbum

Elk -- E -- Extra plants Easy Platycerium bifurcatum

A few other variations ..around my area it is mainly P hillii

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.