IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Aloe or Yucca ID

AZPalms

Neighbor is moving and they are giving away plants. Any idea what this is?? Traded him a beer for it... 

can it take AZ sun? 

D8EE62D4-1208-44CB-99FC-79C28F0A1695.jpeg

41 minutes ago, AZPalms said:

Neighbor is moving and they are giving away plants. Any idea what this is?? Traded him a beer for it... 

can it take AZ sun? 

D8EE62D4-1208-44CB-99FC-79C28F0A1695.jpeg

Not 100% certain.. but first thought that popped into my head was.. has a very Dracaena draco -like look to me.. 

• Like 2

Looks like a young Dragon Tree Dracaena draco... I was typing this in as Nathan posted his comment.  I would be 98% confident in this before reading Nathan's reinforcement.

• Like 2

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

Interesting. I dug it out of a northeastern corner of his yard. How much sun can these handle?? I had no idea it was a Dracaena, didn’t know they could be grown outside here!

Do I plant it with covering the roots? Almost looks like stilt roots. I know nothing about Yuccas, Dracaena etc lol! 

50 minutes ago, AZPalms said:

Interesting. I dug it out of a northeastern corner of his yard. How much sun can these handle?? I had no idea it was a Dracaena, didn’t know they could be grown outside here!

Do I plant it with covering the roots? Almost looks like stilt roots. I know nothing about Yuccas, Dracaena etc lol! 

Been a little curious myself on this..  Larger specimens located at the Desert Botanical Garden are sited on the est end of a bed, under lager metal shade canopies where a good chunk of  the garden's Euphorbia / sun sensitive Aloe collection is located, so i'm assuming these appreciate some degree of shade during our summers to keep them looking good /exposed leaves less crispy. Other than that, the garden's specimens seem to handle our heat / cold spells alright. Might shade it for the first year or two, then maybe gradually reduce any shade and see how it responds..

As far as planting, yea, you could cover the exposed roots, but i don't think it would effect growth if you didn't. Have seen specimens which had some stilt-ish like root growth just above the soil line before. My only worry here is the intensity of our summer sun,  any exposed roots, base of the trunk might be at more risk of sun burn.  You could dress the base of the plant w/ some small gravel to keep the sun off. 

Other than those thoughts, pretty tough plants, just watch the water. Might be one of those things, like certain Cacti, you don't water much through the summer ( Extra water at that time might cause rot issues, due to our high- night time temps June- late Aug /early Sept.. I hold back on / greatly reduce watering specific cactus in my collection once our lows are consistently above 70 - 75F )

• Like 1

This is exactly the information I need! I’ve really gotten to appreciate succulents more and more when I see them around town. My neighbor is removing a large portion of their landscaping to put in a patio to help sell their home. Thought I’d save this plant. He cut down a massive century plant before I was over. It was a sad scene...

• Like 1

On 3/2/2019 at 6:06 PM, AZPalms said:

This is exactly the information I need! I’ve really gotten to appreciate succulents more and more when I see them around town. My neighbor is removing a large portion of their landscaping to put in a patio to help sell their home. Thought I’d save this plant. He cut down a massive century plant before I was over. It was a sad scene...

For the most part, and with some consideration for stuff that might need some shade through the worst part of summer, or placed where heavier winter rains ( like this year ) won't soak it, Succulent-type plants,  ...and Cacti for that matter, are pretty easily grown here.  ...Add to that, if you know where to find .."the good stuff"  one can grow some really cool, unusual species.   

If you haven't been, Desert Botanical will be having their spring sale around the 15th. While i generally head to Tucson to locate really hard to find things, you can find plenty of Agave, Cacti, and other stuff to add to the garden, provided you have some space ( if you wanted Agave that get big / take up space, for example) The local chapter of the Cactus / Succulent Society also hosts their annual sale / show around the 1st weekend in April, also at the DBG.. 

I do wish there were attending vendors who offered Palms and Cycads at both sale events, beyond Washingtonia and occasional Brahea armata i have seen at some of the DBG sales. That is really the one element that is lacking among what you'll see offered.  

Beyond that, a day trip to Tucson, the Succulent *Mecca* of the Southwest is always quite rewarding.

4 hours ago, Silas_Sancona said:

For the most part, and with some consideration for stuff that might need some shade through the worst part of summer, or placed where heavier winter rains ( like this year ) won't soak it, Succulent-type plants,  ...and Cacti for that matter, are pretty easily grown here.  ...Add to that, if you know where to find .."the good stuff"  one can grow some really cool, unusual species.   

If you haven't been, Desert Botanical will be having their spring sale around the 15th. While i generally head to Tucson to locate really hard to find things, you can find plenty of Agave, Cacti, and other stuff to add to the garden, provided you have some space ( if you wanted Agave that get big / take up space, for example) The local chapter of the Cactus / Succulent Society also hosts their annual sale / show around the 1st weekend in April, also at the DBG.. 

I do wish there were attending vendors who offered Palms and Cycads at both sale events, beyond Washingtonia and occasional Brahea armata i have seen at some of the DBG sales. That is really the one element that is lacking among what you'll see offered.  

Beyond that, a day trip to Tucson, the Succulent *Mecca* of the Southwest is always quite rewarding.

I’m in Tucson at least once a month for work. I need to find a nursery down there and spend some time and check out the offerings. I’m going to redo the front yard of my house and I think succulents and cacti would be a good low maintenance fit. Palms and tropical in the back, desert natural up front!