IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Kew Botanical Gardens: February 2019

Jonathan Haycock

Kew: February 2019

Yesterday, we visited Kew for what will probably be the last time for many many years as we’re emigrating to Australia.

Hope you enjoy the pictures.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

For those of you that frequent Facebook, I’ve set up a group called “Pommy palms”, where many of the palms I’ve seen since emigrating to Australia have been documented. If you wish to be a member, copy and paste “Pommy palms” into Facebook to view the page and click “Join group”.

Kew labelled this Sabal minor, but I’m not so sure. Could this be Sabal brazoria?

98D5A4C1-E9E8-40E4-8CD4-C2B23563EC47.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

For those of you that frequent Facebook, I’ve set up a group called “Pommy palms”, where many of the palms I’ve seen since emigrating to Australia have been documented. If you wish to be a member, copy and paste “Pommy palms” into Facebook to view the page and click “Join group”.

A member of the European Palm Society suggest Sabal minor var. Louisiana?

93D2DF05-82A6-4613-BD06-03E8CA33CEB9.jpeg

• Like 2

A63AED4F-188B-4F0D-A761-BDD3F0C749A0.jpeg

• Like 2

BFA37776-2220-4CDE-9AC0-D1F058E8172E.jpeg

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Jonathan Haycock said:

Kew labelled this Sabal minor, but I’m not so sure. Could this be Sabal brazoria?

98D5A4C1-E9E8-40E4-8CD4-C2B23563EC47.jpeg

Quite a few people on various forums have suggested Sabal minor var. Louisiana.

• Upvote 1

I'd be curious to see how the Encephalartos woodii is doing at this point.  It looked a bit ragged after the transplant back into the conservatory open ground.  Very important plant.  Hope it's well pleased in it's new postion.

1 hour ago, GeneAZ said:

I'd be curious to see how the Encephalartos woodii is doing at this point.  It looked a bit ragged after the transplant back into the conservatory open ground.  Very important plant.  Hope it's well pleased in it's new postion.

Wow. They risked transplanting that.

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

21 hours ago, Jonathan Haycock said:

Kew: February 2019

Yesterday, we visited Kew for what will probably be the last time for many many years as we’re emigrating to Australia.

Hope you enjoy the pictures.

What part of Australia are you moving too?

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

6 hours ago, Tyrone said:

What part of Australia are you moving too?

Initially South Australia for a minimum of 2 years (visa requirement). After that, the intention is to live in SE Queensland.

16 hours ago, Jonathan Haycock said:

Initially South Australia for a minimum of 2 years (visa requirement). After that, the intention is to live in SE Queensland.

Well you're a lucky person to be able to move to such a palm friendly climate as SE QLD. You'll be able to grow almost everything you see at Kew out in the open. A beautiful part of the world. Even South Australia will let you grow many things too.

5 hours ago, Tyrone said:

Well you're a lucky person to be able to move to such a palm friendly climate as SE QLD. You'll be able to grow almost everything you see at Kew out in the open. A beautiful part of the world. Even South Australia will let you grow many things too.

I can’t wait to start growing palms over there. I’ve already sent 3 seed packages over, currently working on my 4th. 

QLD has some great palm nurseries too. You could go berserk with all the palmy offerings. :)

46 minutes ago, Tyrone said:

QLD has some great palm nurseries too. You could go berserk with all the palmy offerings. :)

Hopefully I'll find a good job out there to pay for all these palms, lol.