IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Identity of Giant Evergreen

Hombre de Palmas

Hello Everyone, Happy Friday

I have a question about the identity of a very large, open branched, apparently needled evergreen that I see along the I-95 corridor from south of Jacksonville to Palm Beach. They are probably south of PB as well but I have not traveled that far south.

They range from 30-50 Ft are usually in groups and and are fairly ubiquitous. I have asked several people at nurseries but they haven't been able to help me with an ID. I do not see them in landscapes probably because of their size.

Thanks to all.

A photograph would be most helpful.  You can get instructions at the bottom of the home page, within "Forum Basics for Beginners".  :)

San Francisco, California

1 hour ago, Hombre de Palmas said:

Hello Everyone, Happy Friday

I have a question about the identity of a very large, open branched, apparently needled evergreen that I see along the I-95 corridor from south of Jacksonville to Palm Beach. They are probably south of PB as well but I have not traveled that far south.

They range from 30-50 Ft are usually in groups and and are fairly ubiquitous. I have asked several people at nurseries but they haven't been able to help me with an ID. I do not see them in landscapes probably because of their size.

Thanks to all.

Not being too familiar with the area in question and not seeing a photo, but I'd guess that you might be talking about Casuarina cunninghamiana (also known as river she oak)?  I believe this is a pretty common tree in Florida as well as Southeast Texas used as a windbreak.  They get to around 60' tall so that is my guess.  I attached a photo from the internet.  I've not ever seen one for sale myself.

Jon

Casuarina cunninghamiana.jpg

Edited by Fusca
add info
  • Like 2

Jon Sunder

I agree with Fusca, probably She Oak.  I find Casuarina equisetifolia also as Latin name, dunno why? Lot's of them South of Palm Beach also,  and considered invasive.

Edited by NOT A TA
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, NOT A TA said:

I agree with Fusca, probably She Oak.  I find Casuarina equisetifolia also as Latin name, dunno why? Lot's of them South of Palm Beach also,  and considered invasive.

Sounds like it, though C. cunninghamiana is the most commonly encountered sp. there in Florida. C. equisetifolia is normally smaller, with a rounded canopy, and larger cones.. Both were planted where i went to elementary school back in California. Used to use them as Grenades during recess, lol.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Silas_Sancona said:

Sounds like it, though C. cunninghamiana is the most commonly encountered sp. there in Florida. C. equisetifolia is normally smaller, with a rounded canopy, and larger cones.. Both were planted where i went to elementary school back in California. Used to use them as Grenades during recess, lol.  

Ah, I see! Then the common one here in S. FL is cunninghamiana, canopies are not rounded. Thanks for the education!

• Like 1

That is certainly the tree I was asking about. Many thanks to all who replied with the pics and information.

They certainly are unique in this environment.

Happy Weekend

Australian Pines (Casuarina equisetifolia) were introduced to Florida in the 1890's (from Australia). To me, this is a beautiful and highly desirable tree that was considered an invasive weed until the last several years in Florida. A local municipal golf course, whose fairways were lined with these trees, was ruined when the city did a redesign that eliminated these beautiful trees. The irony is that this tree issues a natural pesticide, that completely eradicates weeds under the trees, giving the ambience of the Augusta/Masters pine needle roughs that cost big time cabbage to maintain for free.

I have seen what may be different varieties as far north as north Florida. Contrariwise, the Melaleuca (Paper tree) is a different story in Florida. Also from Australia and imported about the same time to Florida, this tree has become a true noxious plague in south Florida. The Army Corp. of Engineers in the late 1930's or 1940's disbursed millions of seeds in the Everglades in a scheme to dry the Everglades. Not a good idea! Fortunately, their take over has been slowed by an aggressive eradication effort. Strangely, their introduction eradicated the vast Pond Apple forest (Annona glabra) that surrounded the southern end of Lake Okeechobee that existed when the US soldiers first viewed the Lake in the 1830's. In a twist of poetic justice, the Pond Apple was imported back to Australia, where it has become an invasive menace in north Queensland, a rival to the Melaleuca plague experienced in south Florida.

• Like 3

What you look for is what is looking

22 hours ago, bubba said:

Australian Pines (Casuarina equisetifolia) were introduced to Florida in the 1890's (from Australia). To me, this is a beautiful and highly desirable tree that was considered an invasive weed until the last several years in Florida. A local municipal golf course, whose fairways were lined with these trees, was ruined when the city did a redesign that eliminated these beautiful trees. The irony is that this tree issues a natural pesticide, that completely eradicates weeds under the trees, giving the ambience of the Augusta/Masters pine needle roughs that cost big time cabbage to maintain for free.

I have seen what may be different varieties as far north as north Florida. Contrariwise, the Melaleuca (Paper tree) is a different story in Florida. Also from Australia and imported about the same time to Florida, this tree has become a true noxious plague in south Florida. The Army Corp. of Engineers in the late 1930's or 1940's disbursed millions of seeds in the Everglades in a scheme to dry the Everglades. Not a good idea! Fortunately, their take over has been slowed by an aggressive eradication effort. Strangely, their introduction eradicated the vast Pond Apple forest (Annona glabra) that surrounded the southern end of Lake Okeechobee that existed when the US soldiers first viewed the Lake in the 1830's. In a twist of poetic justice, the Pond Apple was imported back to Australia, where it has become an invasive menace in north Queensland, a rival to the Melaleuca plague experienced in south Florida.

Thanks for the history.

Last Friday, I knew nothing about this tree, now, thanks to some great people, I have seen the light!

What a great forum.

• Like 1

Casuarina equisetifolia is the common Australian Pine in south FL and the warmer areas of central. It is salt tolerant and is the species common along beaches. C. glauca is the suckering species that is very dense and dark green. It is not salt tolerant and is hardier than C. equisetifolia. It was often planted as a windbreak for agriculture. C. cunninghamiana is the hardiest species and can be seen around central FL and into the warmer parts of north FL. It has a more rounded crown when young but more open and irregular as it matures. It is much less common as the other 2.

Casuarina equisetifolia and C. glauca are both listed as category 1 invasives. C. cunninghamiana is listed as a cat 2. I have never come across C. cunninghamiana seedlings or naturalizing colonies.

Around Orlando following the 3 mega freezes of the 80s, C. equisetifolia was killed. most C. glauca were killed to the roots but regrew and C. cunninghamiana only suffered light damage or none.

• Like 3

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a