IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

2018-2019 Winter/US/Dec., Jan.,Feb.

bubba

The 2018–2019 United States winter in the Palm growing areas of the country did not experience the Polar Vortex in the predicted manner. To the contrary, the Polar Vortex created a much colder than anticipated winter in the western US when conventional wisdom predicted a possible replay of 1899 that would torture the SE (see Joe Bastardi).

LA reported a cool/cold winter season. December had a maximum of 77F, a minimum of 39F and a median of 59F. January had maximum of 78F, minimum of 38F and a median of 59F. Startling for LA was February, which reported a maximum of 69F, a minimum of 40F and a median of 53F. Snowfall was widely reported throughout LA. Continuing in California, La Quinta had a December maximum of 80F, a minimum of 32F and a median of 57F. January had a maximum of 83F, a minimum of 26F and a median of 57F. February had a maximum of 78F, a minimum of 28F and a median of 54F. These temperatures do not support Cocos nucifera.

Phoeniz,Az. had a December maximum of 75F, a minimum of 34F and a median of 56F. January had a maximum of 74F, a minimum of 30F and a median of 56F. February had a maximum of 75F, a minimum of 34F and a median of 54F. Simply stated, the west was chilly this winter.

Orlando, Fl. and Brownsville, Tx. had similar winter seasons that placed them on the cusp of qualifying for Tropical designation per Koppen as qualified. Orlando had a December maximum of 86F, a minimum of 39F and a median of 64F. Orlando had a January maximum of 82F, a minimum of 37F and a median of 60F. Orlando had a February maximum of 87F, a minimum of 48F and a median of 70F.

Brownsville had a December maximum of 86F, a minimum of 39F and a median of 64F. The January maximum was 83F, a minimum of 38F and a median of 63F. The February maximum was 89F, the minimum 40F and the median 69F. Neither Orlando or Brownsville experienced a repeat of 1899.

SE Florida continued in the tropical designation. Miami had a December maximum of 87F, a minimum of 52F and a median of 72F. January had a maximum of 84F, a minimum of 46F and a median of 68F. February had a maximum of 85F, a minimum of 57F and a median of 75F.

Honolulu and Key West continued the undeniable tropical destinction. Honolulu had a December maximum of 86F, a minimum of 65F and a median of 77F. January had a maximum of 85F, a minimum of 65F and a median of 76F. February had a maximum of 84F, a minimum of 61F and a median of 71F. Key West was cooler with a December maximum of 88F, a minimum of 58F and a median of 74F. January had a maximum of 85F, a minimum of 53F and a median of 70F. February had a maximum of 87F, a minimum of 54F and a median of 76F. A warm palm growing foundation for both venues.

Another area of interest is the SE subtropical areas of Houston, New Orleans and Jacksonville. The Polar Vortex was expected to take no prisoners in these regions. Houston had a December maximum of 80F, a minimum of 37F and a median of 57F. January had a maximum of 78F,a minimum of 32F and a median of 57F. February had a maximum of 80F, a minimum of 38F and a median of 60F. NOwas milder with a December maximum of 82F, a minimum of 37F and a median of 59F. January had a maximum of 75F, a minimum of 36F and a median of 54F. February had a maximum of 82F, a minimum of 45F and a median of 64F. Warmest of all the subtropical locations was Jacksonville. Jacksonville had a December maximum of 82F, a minimum of 41F and a median of 60F. January had a maximum of 82F, a minimum of 35F and a median of 57F. February had a maximum of 84F, a minimum of 46F and a median of 63 F. No freezing weather in NO or Jacksonville this winter with Jacksonville median winter temperature approaching 60F.

Interesting to view some international climates in this winter for additional comparison. Malaga,Spain, Malta, Sochi, Russia and Beirut, Lebanon. Malaga had a December maximum of 73F, a minimum of 39F and a median of 56F. January had a maximum of 74F, a minimum of 35F and a median of 55F. February had a maximum of 76F, a minimum of 37F and a median of 55F.

Malta had a December maximum of 66F, a minimum of 42F and a median of 57F. January had a maximum of 63F, a minimum of 37F and a median of 52F. February had a maximum of 66F, a minimum of 38F and a median of 53F.

Sochi, Russia with some very impressive palms had a December maximum of 64F, a minimum of 35F and a median of 49F. January had a maximum of 64F, a minimum of 34F and a median of 48F. February had a maximum of 64F, a minimum of 35F and a median of 48F. No freezing temperatures in Sochi!

I have always felt that the warmest winter temperatures were experienced in Beirut, Lebanon. The December maximum was 76F, the minimum was 52F with a median of 63F. January had a maximum of 74F, a minimum of 48F and a median of 58F. February had a maximum of 76F, a minimum of 48F and a median of 59F. No temperature close to freezing with combined medians over 60F. If Cocos nucifera can survive in La Quinta why not Beirut, Lebanon?

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

What you look for is what is looking

I was a bit skeptical about the readings quoted for Beirut (at 34N latitude) - but I checked it out.  I see that Tripoli, right up the coast, had a winter minimum of 5C (41F). Since I couldn't find stats on Beirut Airport, I checked a couple of Personal Weather Stations for the city and they each had a Dec-Mar 4 minimum of no longer than 8-9 C. So I suppose your figures sound about right. I know they grow mangoes and such in Lebanon but coconuts? If somebody can succeed at it in SoCal certainly they should be able to do so in the warm microclimates of the eastern Mediterranean?

I like to compare us in the SE US with east Asia, one of the few areas of the World with a comparable climate. It was overall a quite mild winter in China and to a lesser extent, Japan and Korea. For example, Shanghai received only one day below freezing (0.2C) in Feb and that is typically their coldest month. Lowest of the season was -3.2C (26F) at the end of last year. 2017-2018's lowest (more typical) was -7C (23F).

Technically, Jacksonville did see a freeze this winter - 30F at the Int Airport but it I'm sure it was higher in the city and near the beaches - I see Jacksonville Beach got no lower than 35F. Will areas of the SE who did not freeze this winter escape the current cold outbreak? I think so but we'll see. Freeze warnings tonight for NW FLa.

Dallas (DFW) had their coldest temp of the winter at 21F this March morning beating out any temp in Dec-Feb. 23F was the previous lowest this season. The 38F season low in Brownsville thus far is in jeopardy - that's the forecast low for tomorrow morning.

Too bad Mardi Gras did not come in late Feb like it usually does in New Orleans - it is cold and raw, overcast in the 40s this afternoon. Nothing like this during all of February. It doesn't appear as though it will drop to 35F with this cold wave though so this winter's low temperature will probably stand. Despite the mild winter we had it seems like the only time it did get cold this winter was when some big event was going on leaving tourists to shiver - like when the Saints played the Rams for the NFC championship in January and the afternoon of game day was windy and stayed in the 40s - any other weekend this year would likely have been much warmer. No comment on the game itself played inside the Dome.

Likewise, LSU fans who traveled to Phoenix for the Fiesta Bowl at the beginning of the year were probably a bit surprised to see temps there drop to just below freezing.

• Like 2

Worst winter, not ultimate lows, but persistent bellow average for going into month 5. Glad most of yall were spared. I'll be starting over most likely.

• Like 1

LOWS 16/17 12F, 17/18 3F, 18/19 7F, 19/20 20F

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto