IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Parajubaea sunkha

Josue Diaz

17 hours ago, Marius said:

I have just planted my first new Parajubaea sunkha. I hope that it will do well in its new spot. 

1B8976D1-45A6-4579-B614-97587432DAE7.jpeg

3E67369C-B6E7-4E46-AB99-C74007293F0A.jpeg

4094AF65-48D4-4166-AB2D-DCE35A57397F.jpeg

you've got us all rooting for ya!

• Like 4

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

On 2/28/2019 at 11:11 PM, sinbarambam said:

gorgeous, thanks for sharing. It's one that apparently exists in New Zealand but haven't seen it. Do have Cocoides, Torallyi and Microcarpa though. Love 'em all. 

yes it's here, I have one been planted out for a few years now

Pseudo-Mediterranean Climate...a frosty 9b

On 3/30/2019 at 9:08 AM, iwan said:

One day I am probably going to regret where I planted my last surviving sunkha.  Way too close to my electrical service lines.

Does anyone have any pictures of leaning P. sunkha, or experience (failure) in trying to force them to lean (short of digging)?  I have pulled all of my fronds forward into a larger Agave.  Hopefully that might have a small impact.

Robert

Madera, CA (central San Joaquin valley)

9A

• 1 year later...
On 3/3/2019 at 4:08 PM, Ben in Norcal said:

Yeah, mine sit in bogs here in the wet Norcal winter (now - February has been a deluge) - and no worries.  It's only the combination of really high temps (high 90s/100s) and irrigation that seems to cause collapse, and only in dense clay.  It's actually been fortuitous that I have lost some, however; they were getting far too large for the placement, and have enabled me to plant some smaller/narrower palms (various species of Archontophoenix, for the most part.)

I have so many sunkhas in pots (15g) that I don't know what to do with - not much of a market for them here.

I know this is an old thread but I would take a nicely grown 15g specimen off your hands for a decent price Ben. I’m in Vallejo. You selling?

Justin 

13 hours ago, ExperimentalGrower said:

I know this is an old thread but I would take a nicely grown 15g specimen off your hands for a decent price Ben. I’m in Vallejo. You selling?

Justin 

Sorry, Justin, but I have managed to sell all of my 15 gallon palms the last couple of summers...which funded more investment! :D

• Upvote 1

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

On 10/11/2020 at 11:37 PM, ExperimentalGrower said:

Justin 

You might give Neil in Sacramento a shout

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Josue Diaz said:

You might give Neil in Sacramento a shout

Neil has tons of nice torallyi, but not sure about sunkha...

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

On 10/11/2020 at 11:37 PM, ExperimentalGrower said:

Justin 

Update: Patric Schafer tells me he has P. sunkha if you are still looking.  Not sure what size but his usual are very overgrown tree pots or 5gs.

Ben Rogers

11 minutes ago, Ben in Norcal said:

Update: Patric Schafer tells me he has P. sunkha if you are still looking.  Not sure what size but his usual are very overgrown tree pots or 5gs.

Hey Ben,

Thanks, you’ve been super helpful. Is he in the Bay Area? Sorry I don’t know him. I’m pretty new to the forum.

cheers,

Justin 

1 minute ago, ExperimentalGrower said:

Hey Ben,

Thanks, you’ve been super helpful. Is he in the Bay Area? Sorry I don’t know him. I’m pretty new to the forum.

cheers,

Justin 

Patric is a world-renowned hybridizer, who lives up in Mendocino County, I think.  He's down here a lot though, hybridizing stuff.  He's working on a variety of my hybrids...Coco Queens, Mules, Syagrus xMatafome, etc.  So, we can probably figure out how to get you a plant or two, depending on what you are looking for.

Ben Rogers

On 10/13/2020 at 12:35 PM, Ben in Norcal said:

Neil has tons of nice torallyi, but not sure about sunkha...

Tbh, I’m torn whether or not to put an 800 lb gorilla or 300 lb gorilla in my somewhat narrow back yard. Lol 

I might head over to the Oakland Palmetum and get a better look at the size of the torallyi going strong there to get a better idea of it’s size related to my space constraints.

Just now, Ben in Norcal said:

Patric is a world-renowned hybridizer, who lives up in Mendocino County, I think.  He's down here a lot though, hybridizing stuff.  He's working on a variety of my hybrids...Coco Queens, Mules, Syagrus xMatafome, etc.  So, we can probably figure out how to get you a plant or two, depending on what you are looking for.

Ah ok, I’ve heard about him. Thanks for the info. Going to assess this situation a bit further before I pull the trigger on which species. Thanks!

• Like 1

Just now, ExperimentalGrower said:

Tbh, I’m torn whether or not to put an 800 lb gorilla or 300 lb gorilla in my somewhat narrow back yard. Lol 

I might head over to the Oakland Palmetum and get a better look at the size of the torallyi going strong there to get a better idea of it’s size related to my space constraints.

I'd be cautious with that comparison - the torallyis in SF and Oakland are about 1/3 of the size in trunk as they seem to achieve here in the EB.

Ben Rogers

So far this has been my favorite parajubea. Hasn’t shown any problems with my summer heat either. It’s thinner that Tor Tor and (so far) doesn’t up and die for no reason like cocoides. 

A2889E8D-03ED-44C0-BB9B-8033CB3AA4F6.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

1 hour ago, Ben in Norcal said:

I'd be cautious with that comparison - the torallyis in SF and Oakland are about 1/3 of the size in trunk as they seem to achieve here in the EB.

Ok good to know. My being in Vallejo is basically a split between Oakland and where you’re at... is it Concord/Clayton? Probably a bit more like Oakland here, definitely hotter by a few degrees on average. Thanks for the info!

19 minutes ago, Stevetoad said:

So far this has been my favorite parajubea. Hasn’t shown any problems with my summer heat either. It’s thinner that Tor Tor and (so far) doesn’t up and die for no reason like cocoides. 

A2889E8D-03ED-44C0-BB9B-8033CB3AA4F6.jpeg

Absolutely gorgeous. Seems they grow a good bit slower than torallyi, has that been your experience? Their foliage seems pretty similar though. 

How is your sunkha with summer water when it’s hot out Steve?

9 minutes ago, ExperimentalGrower said:

Absolutely gorgeous. Seems they grow a good bit slower than torallyi, has that been your experience? Their foliage seems pretty similar though. 

How is your sunkha with summer water when it’s hot out Steve?

Mines been about the same as My tor tor but my tor tor gets less water due to a close by jacaranda.  Mine gets about 10 gallons of water a week in summer and next to nothing in winter. My tor tor seems to have a more open crown and the leaves arnt as weepy. Here’s my tor tor for comparison. 

7CE4D2AE-26E4-499B-8612-73112F51325B.jpeg

• Like 1

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

6 minutes ago, ExperimentalGrower said:

Ok good to know. My being in Vallejo is basically a split between Oakland and where you’re at... is it Concord/Clayton? Probably a bit more like Oakland here, definitely hotter by a few degrees on average. Thanks for the info!

Yeah, I am up in the hills, border of Concord and Clayton.  It's been a brutally hot summer...lots of days over 110 here, and we're close to 100 still.  Ready for fall...in a month. :lol:

Ben Rogers

45 minutes ago, Ben in Norcal said:

Yeah, I am up in the hills, border of Concord and Clayton.  It's been a brutally hot summer...lots of days over 110 here, and we're close to 100 still.  Ready for fall...in a month. :lol:

I know man. It’s been the hottest in awhile! Definitely looking forward to the cool off.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

I may be adding Sunkha to my garden.

I think soil matters. I planted a 15 gal Torralyi in July and watered it all summer every other day for 20-40 gallons a day and no problems despite 15 plus days over 100 degrees

My soil is rocky and full of granite. Drains easily. Also I am at 1600 ft elevation and since these palms grow even higher than that perhaps the combination of of the rocky soil mixed with the elevation makes a difference. But it’s still young and I have seen much larger specimens here in PT suddenly succumb to fungal infections.

Edited by James B

19 hours ago, James B said:

I may be adding Sunkha to my garden.

I think soil matters. I planted a 15 gal Torralyi in July and watered it all summer every other day for 20-40 gallons a day and no problems despite 15 plus days over 100 degrees

My soil is rocky and full of granite. Drains easily. Also I am at 1600 ft elevation and since these palms grow even higher than that perhaps the combination of of the rocky soil mixed with the elevation makes a difference. But it’s still young and I have seen much larger specimens here in PT suddenly succumb to fungal infections.

In summer do your minimums drop to around 16C or lower at night. If so, you probably will be ok, despite the day time temps. They need that night cool down.

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Most nights between July and early September no I’d say the average low in that stretch is probably 60-65 degrees so about 16-18 Celsius. There is the occasional night where it will drop below 60 but maybe only a couple time during those months. 

2 hours ago, James B said:

Most nights between July and early September no I’d say the average low in that stretch is probably 60-65 degrees so about 16-18 Celsius. There is the occasional night where it will drop below 60 but maybe only a couple time during those months. 

For what it's worth, my P. sunkha has been in the ground two consecutive summers now and seems to be doing fine.  It doesn't grow during those months but as @Ben in Norcal recommended I have left it dry also.  We've hit 110°F (43°C) a few times between July and September, but our overnight lows have been even higher than yours - more like 65-75°F (18-24°C).  In fact we've continued to have overnight lows in the low 60's even up to this past week with only occasional cold fronts dropping temps into the 50's and upper 40's, but it's looking like we've finally started cooling off more at night and I've resumed watering my sunkha and it's pushing new growth again.

• Like 5

Jon Sunder

1 minute ago, Fusca said:

For what it's worth, my P. sunkha has been in the ground two consecutive summers now and seems to be doing fine.  It doesn't grow during those months but as @Ben in Norcal recommended I have left it dry also.  We've hit 110°F (43°C) a few times between July and September, but our overnight lows have been even higher than yours - more like 65-75°F (18-24°C).  In fact we've continued to have overnight lows in the low 60's even up to this past week with only occasional cold fronts dropping temps into the 50's and upper 40's, but it's looking like we've finally started cooling off more at night and I've resumed watering my sunkha and it's pushing new growth again.

Wow. When we get the summer heat waves where we are over 100 our night time lows will be in the low 70s. Usually that lasts a week then our lows dip back into the 60s.

Now mine is in full afternoon sun and it’s hard to imagine the soil being overly wet even on watering days. 

But who knows. I’d like to beat the odds and see if it can get old enough to fruit.

• Upvote 1

Another data point, I have well draining soil and we had a month plus of over 100 with some 110’s here in Temecula, and I water my toryalii and macrocarpa’s every other day and haven’t had any issues. I didn’t know about this problem until reading this thread just now, so maybe I’m playing with fire?? They appeared to grow well all summer.

• Like 1

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

23 minutes ago, freakypalmguy said:

Another data point, I have well draining soil and we had a month plus of over 100 with some 110’s here in Temecula, and I water my toryalii and macrocarpa’s every other day and haven’t had any issues. I didn’t know about this problem until reading this thread just now, so maybe I’m playing with fire?? They appeared to grow well all summer.

I think the soil may be key. Mine is full of rock AB. Decomposed granite as I am in the foothills of the San Gabriels. For me only time will tell.

7 hours ago, Fusca said:

Thats an interesting observation. My sunkha that I grow in central florida also doesn't grow during the summer when its hot and wet. It grows best during spring and fall and a little during winter. Thats one reason they're so slow in Florida is there are so few months of the year they actively grow. Ive never had a problem with them rotting out though and they look good even when not growing.

-Krishna

Kailua, Oahu HI. Near the beach but dry!

Still have a garden in Zone 9a Inland North Central Florida (Ocala)

I had a five gallon in Houston that spear pulled in the summer due to rot and died. Admittedly, I also had a Butia nearby that rotted out too. I'm debating trying again... but probably not. 

I'll have to update on mine. Since I originally posted pictures on here it has since grown quite a bit. Seems like they really slow down in the summer here but they pick up speed during the cooler months.

5 hours ago, necturus said:

I had a five gallon in Houston that spear pulled in the summer due to rot and died. Admittedly, I also had a Butia nearby that rotted out too. I'm debating trying again... but probably not. 

I’d be interested to know if these sunkhas that die from being watered in hot weather are receiving overhead tap water or irrigation at the roots. 

Also interested to know if planting them in ground during the summer is even a good idea since they need to be watered consistently to become established. 

• Like 1

Here is my P. sunkha showing the silver underside of the leaves.

IMG_20201116_165807.jpg

This shot shows the new growth since the beginning of fall.

IMG_20201116_165842.jpg

Edited by Fusca
  • Like 2

Jon Sunder

22 hours ago, James B said:

I think the soil may be key. Mine is full of rock AB. Decomposed granite as I am in the foothills of the San Gabriels. For me only time will tell.

I think my zoo is very similar to yours, I’m in South Riverside County in Temecula. I think our climates t be similar also.  It does concern me setting reports off then dying from lots of water, i might be cautious from now on, is hate to lose even one, I’ve grown them all from liners. 

• Like 1

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

• 3 months later...
On 3/31/2019 at 11:04 AM, Marius said:

I have just planted my first new Parajubaea sunkha. I hope that it will do well in its new spot. 

1B8976D1-45A6-4579-B614-97587432DAE7.jpeg

3E67369C-B6E7-4E46-AB99-C74007293F0A.jpeg

4094AF65-48D4-4166-AB2D-DCE35A57397F.jpeg

Update:  P sunkha has taken. Very slow but steady grower. 

F7986BCC-644A-42CF-8E86-4FC46BF99E7B.jpeg

1D945864-0754-4F9F-A9E1-33B86DFE91AB.jpeg

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Marius said:

Update:  P sunkha has taken. Very slow but steady grower. 

F7986BCC-644A-42CF-8E86-4FC46BF99E7B.jpeg

1D945864-0754-4F9F-A9E1-33B86DFE91AB.jpeg

How does it do with your cold? You get kind of chilly in June-August don’t you??

31 minutes ago, ahosey01 said:

How does it do with your cold? You get kind of chilly in June-August don’t you??

Yes, especially last winter. It is completely unaffected. It appears to grow in summer here. No winter growth but no damage either. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 11/16/2020 at 5:46 PM, Fusca said:

Here is my P. sunkha showing the silver underside of the leaves.

IMG_20201116_165807.jpg

This shot shows the new growth since the beginning of fall.

IMG_20201116_165842.jpg

How is this one doing?

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Weather Station: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KTXCOLLE465

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

On 6/13/2022 at 4:46 PM, Collectorpalms said:

How is this one doing?

It survived Palmageddon protected only wrapped up in a sleeping bag.  Then the rains we had in May and June combined with high heat killed it.  :crying:

Jon Sunder

1 hour ago, Fusca said:

It survived Palmageddon protected only wrapped up in a sleeping bag.  Then the rains we had in May and June combined with high heat killed it.  :crying:

Too bad! I am wondering how my JxS and BxPT are going to handle the extended summer we are having. They did fine last year, but we are running 5F above last year almost everyday. I had BxPS but due to my own mistakes I lost those. One a ladder fell on, the other got moved in its pot, and didnt get watered. I just mentally lost it.

Edited by Collectorpalms

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Weather Station: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KTXCOLLE465

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)