IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Parajubaea sunkha

Josue Diaz

Just thought I'd share a photo of my Parajubaea sunkha from this morning. Happy Wednesday. 

Screenshot_20190227-151331_Gallery.jpg

• Like 12
  • Upvote 5

2 hours ago, AZPalms said:

Awesome! How old and how much are you watering? I have one growing that still is a juvenile and has yet to go pinnate. 

Hard for me to say, since we're still exploring with this species.

Let us know, and add to our database.

Mine is GLORIOUS, still surviving after the death of the 800 Pound Gorilla.TM

• Like 4

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Very nice. Mine in central Florida is still chugging along. Not nearly as fast as California but definitely can tolerate the Central Florida climate

IMG_0051.thumb.jpg.197fc84f2ddea4236759c301f674b491.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

-Krishna

Kailua, Oahu HI. Near the beach but dry!

Still have a garden in Zone 9a Inland North Central Florida (Ocala)

6 hours ago, AZPalms said:

Awesome! How old and how much are you watering? I have one growing that still is a juvenile and has yet to go pinnate. 

I actually acquired and planted it last October. I only watered it to settle it in, the rest has all been rainfall. I don't know what these are like as seedlings, unfortunately. 

3 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

Hard for me to say, since we're still exploring with this species.

Let us know, and add to our database.

Mine is GLORIOUS, still surviving after the death of the 800 Pound Gorilla.TM

Dave, you might recognize my parajube :D

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, krishnaraoji88 said:

Very nice. Mine in central Florida is still chugging along. Not nearly as fast as California but definitely can tolerate the Central Florida climate

IMG_0051.thumb.jpg.197fc84f2ddea4236759c301f674b491.jpg

that parajube looks great!

• Like 2

Sunkha on the right by garage, torallyi to its left both planted the same time and same size (1 gallon) about ten years ago. Sorry for the fuzzy shot but resizing it messed it up. 0ED9029B-408D-4EED-88C6-751EC503A3CA.thumb.png.2217496f153b23bb48213fe6e3114278.png

Edited by Jim in Los Altos
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

gorgeous, thanks for sharing. It's one that apparently exists in New Zealand but haven't seen it. Do have Cocoides, Torallyi and Microcarpa though. Love 'em all. 

6 hours ago, Jim in Los Altos said:

Sunkha on the right by garage, torallyi to its left both planted the same time and same size (1 gallon) about ten years ago. Sorry for the fuzzy shot but resizing it messed it up. 0ED9029B-408D-4EED-88C6-751EC503A3CA.thumb.png.2217496f153b23bb48213fe6e3114278.png

Jim! You outta share more pics of yours! Those look perfectly grown. 

• Upvote 1

One of my favorite palms in my garden. Not a fast grower but steady. With all the rain we had this winter I haven't watered in months. I'll share a pic of mine this morning. Not the best shot. 

20190228_082944.jpg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, Tropicdoc said:

Is it me, or is the sunkha more coppery colored than the others parajubaeas?

They actually have a silvery underside to the leaves but the top is green. The others are definitely darker green but I think it also depends on growing conditions. 

I’m with everyone else !! I have  several parajubaea planted out and don’t water them much . Just whatever water it gets from rains and they look great 

3 hours ago, Chris Chance said:

They actually have a silvery underside to the leaves but the top is green. The others are definitely darker green but I think it also depends on growing conditions. 

I have a 4 butia x parajubaea. I would like to know what growing conditions gives a dark green color. Im guessing general overall health? Well nourished? Well watered?

2 hours ago, Tropicdoc said:

I have a 4 butia x parajubaea. I would like to know what growing conditions gives a dark green color. Im guessing general overall health? Well nourished? Well watered?

I find that my palms tend to love liberal amounts of pelletised chicken manure. If you can't find that very well aged stuff will do, or compost fresh stuff with grass clippings and let it age before applying.

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

On 2/28/2019 at 10:06 AM, JubaeaMan138 said:

I’m with everyone else !! I have  several parajubaea planted out and don’t water them much . Just whatever water it gets from rains and they look great 

Watering them in summer is one of the surest ways to kill them.  I lose them every year when I lose my mind and do that.  I need to stop!

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

I water mine every 3 days from spring to autumn for 30 minutes and they're deep green and loving it.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

1 hour ago, Tyrone said:

I water mine every 3 days from spring to autumn for 30 minutes and they're deep green and loving it.

Until they don't.

At least in California, everyone I talk to (even very, very, very experienced growers) warns against watering.  Perhaps it's our clay soil - but I will never water again in summer (specifically) when the heat is up.  Not sure what the weather is like in Albany, but our summer days are always over 90F.  Death.

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

1 hour ago, Ben in Norcal said:

Until they don't.

At least in California, everyone I talk to (even very, very, very experienced growers) warns against watering.  Perhaps it's our clay soil - but I will never water again in summer (specifically) when the heat is up.  Not sure what the weather is like in Albany, but our summer days are always over 90F.  Death.

Hmmm... maybe that's why I lost my small, potted P. sunkha years ago? Perhaps watering it in hot weather could have activated soil pathogens? I'm conflicted about watering now though... since I have a P. tor tor and a P. microcarpa, both in-ground (sandy clay over hardpan), that I water 2-3 times each week in the summer, heatwave or otherwise. They're doing fine... for now. Maybe I'd better back off on the watering this year and just monitor them for any signs of drought-stress?:unsure:

13 minutes ago, Hillizard said:

Hmmm... maybe that's why I lost my small, potted P. sunkha years ago? Perhaps watering it in hot weather could have activated soil pathogens? I'm conflicted about watering now though... since I have a P. tor tor and a P. microcarpa, both in-ground (sandy clay over hardpan), that I water 2-3 times each week in the summer, heatwave or otherwise. They're doing fine... for now. Maybe I'd better back off on the watering this year and just monitor them for any signs of drought-stress?:unsure:

Definitely suggest caution in high heat.  I have lost 5+ large plants after watering in height of summer, and I was just visiting Joe Dombrowski in SD a couple weeks back and he told me of losing a massive plant immediately after watering last summer.  These are notorious for collapsing after irrigation in high heat.  Quite finicky if you get very hot.

Ben Rogers

I guess my climate, which is cooler than Ben’s in the summer, allows mine to be watered three times per week for the past 16 years without a problem. One thing I have noticed though is that one of my 15 year old torallyi that’s planted right at the asphalt street and stone and concrete driveway has much shorter fronds than the ones away from that reflective and radiant heat. It’s trunk base is massive at nearly 3 feet in diameter but tapers in much more towards its canopy than the others who’s trunks are more uniform in width. 

• Like 1

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

10 hours ago, Jim in Los Altos said:

I guess my climate, which is cooler than Ben’s in the summer, allows mine to be watered three times per week for the past 16 years without a problem. One thing I have noticed though is that one of my 15 year old torallyi that’s planted right at the asphalt street and stone and concrete driveway has much shorter fronds than the ones away from that reflective and radiant heat. It’s trunk base is massive at nearly 3 feet in diameter but tapers in much more towards its canopy than the others who’s trunks are more uniform in width. 

You also have loamier/much better soil than me, Jim.  My hypothesis is that it's related to extreme heat and my pure clay, neither of which you really have to contend with!  Anyway, my sample size is small, but significant enough for me (not statistically significant, obviously) that I think there is something to it.  Conversations with Joe D. (Palma) and Patric S. are other data points for me that suggest this genus is not a fan of water in very high temps.  Anyway, everyone should take this for what it is - just the limited experience of one very crappy grower in Norcal! :D

• Like 1

Ben Rogers

Ben, your growing skills are not 'crappy', and your palms are great.  Your only problem is a common one, too many plants !  :mrlooney:

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

San Francisco, California

Just now, Darold Petty said:

Ben, your growing skills are not 'crappy', and your palms are great.  Your only problem is a common one, too many plants !  :mrlooney:

True dat, Darold!  Good thing I kill some to make space for the newest ones! :D

• Like 2

Ben Rogers

18 hours ago, Ben in Norcal said:

Definitely suggest caution in high heat.  I have lost 5+ large plants after watering in height of summer, and I was just visiting Joe Dombrowski in SD a couple weeks back and he told me of losing a massive plant immediately after watering last summer.  These are notorious for collapsing after irrigation in high heat.  Quite finicky if you get very hot.

Ben: I'll take your advice. I have no problem withholding water from some established palms in my garden, as a matter of both general resource conservation as well as horticultural best practices! After all, these species are 'visitors' (i.e., not native) and should be treated with respect as 'guests' in the garden. ;)

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Ben in Norcal said:

You also have loamier/much better soil than me, Jim.  My hypothesis is that it's related to extreme heat and my pure clay, neither of which you really have to contend with!  Anyway, my sample size is small, but significant enough for me (not statistically significant, obviously) that I think there is something to it.  Conversations with Joe D. (Palma) and Patric S. are other data points for me that suggest this genus is not a fan of water in very high temps.  Anyway, everyone should take this for what it is - just the limited experience of one very crappy grower in Norcal! :D

Ben, You’re an awesome grower! Don’t be hard on yourself. True that I have loam soil, at least two feet or so down anyway. After that, it’s pure Santa Clara Valley yellow clay with some rock. My Parajubaea share space with water loving palms like Archontophoenix so they’re roots are always on the wet side all year. 

• Like 1

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

21 hours ago, Ben in Norcal said:

Until they don't.

We don't get consistent high summer heat. February is our warmest month and my maximums this year averaged 24.5C or 76F. Nights are generally cool and almost always below 20C 68F. I've got all 4 species but my sunkhas have been in the ground 5 years and are an easy grow along with all the other Parajubaeas I've got going. Our soil is a mix of clay and peat and the planting holes were heavily amended with organic matter. Like I said before I water them 3 times a week with a deep soak and they're dark green and happy. I'll get some pics today. 

I think the sudden death syndrome in So Cal is a climate thing though. Like most mountain palms they must have an issue with baking high temps.

Also in winter my torallyi's sit in what at times can be very wet soil, even though they are on a slope. I had to dig drainage trenches past them one year and they ran like streams for months.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Tyrone said:

We don't get consistent high summer heat. February is our warmest month and my maximums this year averaged 24.5C or 76F. Nights are generally cool and almost always below 20C 68F. I've got all 4 species but my sunkhas have been in the ground 5 years and are an easy grow along with all the other Parajubaeas I've got going. Our soil is a mix of clay and peat and the planting holes were heavily amended with organic matter. Like I said before I water them 3 times a week with a deep soak and they're dark green and happy. I'll get some pics today. 

I think the sudden death syndrome in So Cal is a climate thing though. Like most mountain palms they must have an issue with baking high temps.

Also in winter my torallyi's sit in what at times can be very wet soil, even though they are on a slope. I had to dig drainage trenches past them one year and they ran like streams for months.

Yeah, mine sit in bogs here in the wet Norcal winter (now - February has been a deluge) - and no worries.  It's only the combination of really high temps (high 90s/100s) and irrigation that seems to cause collapse, and only in dense clay.  It's actually been fortuitous that I have lost some, however; they were getting far too large for the placement, and have enabled me to plant some smaller/narrower palms (various species of Archontophoenix, for the most part.)

I have so many sunkhas in pots (15g) that I don't know what to do with - not much of a market for them here.

Ben Rogers

Here’s my bouncing baby, about 15 feet or 5 M tall about a foot or 33 cm across the base

maybe more like 18 inches or 38 cm

78E2C3F7-5081-4705-A4C3-17C809A882BA.thumb.jpeg.14d71578eb8a5e6e40200c7272f7a2df.jpeg77320C8F-2DB8-48AC-BB8F-EAB003810DF4.thumb.jpeg.f8b5998ead4e355649b95164360b4a85.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 4

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Dave, I told you about this once before, WRONG SHOES!  :beat_deadhorse: 

• Like 2

San Francisco, California

Drainage seems to be key in high heat areas. Also, I've been advised to mulch heavily to keep the root zone cool. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

My Parajubaea sunkha about 2.5m tall.

IMG_2402.JPG

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Here's a closeup of the silvery color underneath the leaves

20190304_124714.jpg

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

one more photo. sorry, can't help myself! 

20190329_205811.thumb.jpg.69379bf3c2ef5e06066be37cdd3f562f.jpg

for what it's worth, Neil in Sacramento advises to mulch heavily to keep the root zone cool in summer. This should prevent the sudden death we fear w this species. 

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Love how these stay more upright than the other Parajubaea species.  I just put another sunkha in the ground - basically only planting this species now with a bunch of the larger ones in the ground.  Gonna do my best to mulch all of them, and keep on the drier side this summer...fingers crossed!

Ben Rogers

One day I am probably going to regret where I planted my last surviving sunkha.  Way too close to my electrical service lines.

Robert

Madera, CA (central San Joaquin valley)

9A

On 3/3/2019 at 8:30 PM, Josue Diaz said:

Drainage seems to be key in high heat areas. Also, I've been advised to mulch heavily to keep the root zone cool. 

Just a suggestion.... what about reflective waterproof insulation around the base during summer kind of shaped like a Christmas tree skirt.

I have just planted my first new Parajubaea sunkha. I hope that it will do well in its new spot. 

1B8976D1-45A6-4579-B614-97587432DAE7.jpeg

3E67369C-B6E7-4E46-AB99-C74007293F0A.jpeg

4094AF65-48D4-4166-AB2D-DCE35A57397F.jpeg

• Like 7

My favorite Parajubaea! This Sunka trunk is starting to get fat. The plant is now towering over my patio cover. I am trying some climbing plants on the trunk, which seem to be taking. 

Sunka1.thumb.jpg.53f4eb85e616f8986a3b381d14c05c3a.jpg

Sunka2.thumb.jpg.755548d6d7a2edf18ed1d0f9e081da46.jpg

Sunka3_033119.thumb.jpg.cf30692d458dceffc2420c437b7f01bf.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Mission Viejo, CA

Limited coastal influence

5-10 days of frost

IPS and PSSC Member