IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Sabal repotting 15g -> 25g

RJ

Picked up these 2 15g sabals in need of repotting over the weekend. Keeping the top of saxophone heal above the ground surface is what’s important correct? 

Also so what happens to that heal with mature palms? I’ve never noticed it on mature trees. 

9E7E9E68-A124-4220-AB33-5E8D52B3D947.jpeg

24DCAABF-9890-4653-9627-D1255F275732.jpeg

Can't you plant those out where you are?

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

28 minutes ago, Allen said:

Can't you plant those out where you are?

For sure, however I'm in the process of building a house and am in a rental until it's done. So they will have to wait probably until next spring to be planted out. 

The heel is the rope-y looking bump on the right side of the stem in the photo. The heel naturally disappears as the palm grows larger. I would repot each palm with the top of the soil at the same location on the trunk as photo currently shows. Don't plant any deeper and never bury the heel beneath the soil. BTW, heeled palms should never be planted too deep.

• Upvote 2

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

OK that explains it.  they are nice size.  What kind of sabals are they?  

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

42 minutes ago, Allen said:

OK that explains it.  they are nice size.  What kind of sabals are they?  

The very best variety.... Sabal mysterio ;)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PalmatierMeg said:

The heel is the rope-y looking bump on the right side of the stem in the photo. The heel naturally disappears as the palm grows larger. I would repot each palm with the top of the soil at the same location on the trunk as photo currently shows. Don't plant any deeper and never bury the heel beneath the soil. BTW, heeled palms should never be planted too deep.

Why shouldn't that part of the heel be below ground? When they grow from seed without transplanting, that part of the heel never comes above ground.  I have never planted such a large one, but I would have assumed that all of those roots should be completely buried. 

35 minutes ago, RaleighNC said:

Why shouldn't that part of the heel be below ground? When they grow from seed without transplanting, that part of the heel never comes above ground.  I have never planted such a large one, but I would have assumed that all of those roots should be completely buried. 

My sabal has the same size heal and it is not wise to bury it and that area of palm

A heel like that forms when the potting mix in the bottom of the pot stays consistently too wet.  Often, the higher the heel the wetter the soil.  I've almost never seen a heel like that on Sabals that have matured in habitat.  Once I saw a young palmetto trying to grow in a shallow muck bottom stream with a slight heel.

If you change the soil to a drier mix you can replant those with the heel 1/2-3/4 submerged.  If planted in well drained potting mix or the ground the heel will dry out and crumble after the Sabal has established itself.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Rickybobby said:

My sabal has the same size heal and it is not wise to bury it and that area of palm

But what happens if it is buried? 

It seems logical that the upper part of the heel emerges from the soil only in some cases. For example as the hook of the "saxophone" pushes deeper into the soil, if it reaches resistance that it cannot overcome (such as the bottom of the pot), the oldest part of the heel gets pushed upwards. If there is no such impediment, the downward expansion is possible, so the oldest part of the heel doesn't get pushed upward. All those roots should anchor it pretty well. There may be conditions in nature that allow the oldest part of the heel to be pushed upwards, such as sandy soils (or continually wet soils like Steve in Florida mentions) where the top part of the saxophone is not as solidly anchored. Of course this is all speculation, but considering the way in which the saxophone develops, it seems to make sense.

Even if this is correct, it could still be damaging to fully bury a heel if it has been exposed for a long period of time. But does anyone know of cases where this has been done with disastrous outcomes? I suspect Sabal palmetto and S. minor would handle this without problems.

Decided to repot these guys today. I dropped them a smidge lower in the new pots. I usually use pine bark nuggets , pine bark soil conditioner, and some mushroom compost. I prefer the sand form. This time I had some perlite around do I through some of that in. 

I fill the bottom of the pot with nuggets to cover the drain holes for drainage also to keep the finer medium in the pot.

2F7149B5-BC9A-4536-929C-C23F73E1A053.jpeg

A1BB5AD5-0287-4AA4-A421-A46F815BD593.jpeg

Add mushroom compost, mix well then, adjust the height of the palm in the new pot. I often use a straight edge to be sure 

46CA6F78-D169-4006-B7A7-A64A7A8D05F6.jpeg

F66E0F94-049A-4ADD-A777-D465C8B0DCDB.jpeg

Add the magic juju juice :blink:. A cap full helps the medicine go down ...

Water to your hearts content. 

5EDC550D-F44F-41D6-BAB9-5366F2A3D26E.jpeg

544BF283-ADDE-4FA1-872A-87C44641BA54.jpeg

• Like 1

10 hours ago, RaleighNC said:

Even if this is correct, it could still be damaging to fully bury a heel if it has been exposed for a long period of time. But does anyone know of cases where this has been done with disastrous outcomes? I suspect Sabal palmetto and S. minor would handle this without problems.

I've never had any problems burying most of the heel but you don't want to plant it so deeply that the growth point is covered with soil.  Since modifying my soil mixes years ago I very rarely see heels forming on any of my Sabal palms.   

Repot looks great!

23 minutes ago, Allen said:

Repot looks great!

Thanks. Decided to tackle a couple  Butia eriospatha I received today as well. Into 15’s they went to put on some growth for the summer. 

25B2C85D-4241-45C8-B767-8ED1410FD171.jpeg

07A04A0D-58F4-4781-9182-22A57AE1DC24.jpeg

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Steve in Florida said:

I've never had any problems burying most of the heel but you don't want to plant it so deeply that the growth point is covered with soil.  Since modifying my soil mixes years ago I very rarely see heels forming on any of my Sabal palms.   

Steve, do you just use a very well draining soil mixture to keep the heal at bay?

17 hours ago, Steve in Florida said:

A heel like that forms when the potting mix in the bottom of the pot stays consistently too wet.  Often, the higher the heel the wetter the soil.  I've almost never seen a heel like that on Sabals that have matured in habitat.  Once I saw a young palmetto trying to grow in a shallow muck bottom stream with a slight heel.

If you change the soil to a drier mix you can replant those with the heel 1/2-3/4 submerged.  If planted in well drained potting mix or the ground the heel will dry out and crumble after the Sabal has established itself.

Or when the bottom of the heel touches the bottom of the pot and pushes the plant up which I believe has happened with these.  

• Upvote 1

Odd, I’ve seen plenty of Sabals growing in freshwater swamps and saltwater/freshwater marshes here in Georgia but have never observed a heel. Does it only do this in waterlogged pots? 

5 hours ago, RJ said:

Add the magic juju juice :blink:. A cap full helps the medicine go down ...

Water to your hearts content. 

5EDC550D-F44F-41D6-BAB9-5366F2A3D26E.jpeg

544BF283-ADDE-4FA1-872A-87C44641BA54.jpeg

Does Superthrive really work? I’ve heard some skeptics about this stuff. 

2 minutes ago, GaDawg said:

Does Superthrive really work? I’ve heard some skeptics about this stuff. 

I like to think it does. :innocent: I've used it for years with deciduous trees and always liked the results. I haven't been into palms long enough to give it a definitive thumbs up or down. I'm not all that interested in running a control either to see one way or the other, so I just use it. :36_14_15[1]:

7 hours ago, RJ said:

Steve, do you just use a very well draining soil mixture to keep the heal at bay?

I would say that a natural mix that is both free draining and maintains pore space is key.  You don't want to use composts that quickly break down and lead to anaerobic conditions.  I learned this when i first tried to grow palms with composted manure and peat moss with bark.  The first year showed great growth but thereafter pore space decreased average plant health with an increase in heel occurrences.

• 1 year later...

Hey RJ any updates on those two? Also I don't think I caught which subspecies those are?

sticker.gif?zipcode=98230&template=sticker_e&tempcolor=white&locationcolor=white&outlinecolor=black&bordercolor=gray

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, teddytn said:

@RJ any update on the potted Sabal mysterio’s?

They're still in their pots. They should be going into the ground next spring/summer when the new house is finished. Fingers crossed :)

• Like 1