IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Pachira aquatica seeds: braided money tree, money plant

PalmatierMeg

Our Pachira aquatica tree, i.e., Malabar Chestnut, flowers and produces large pods of seeds/nuts almost year round. The species is a tropical tree native to Central and South America where it grows near swamps and wetlands. This tree is also called Money Tree or Money Plant, is frequently bonsai-ed or its juvenile stems braided as an expression of feng shui.  For those purposes, the seeds are highly desired but are usually only available from Thailand or China, from which they are very expensive, of dubious quality and subject to seizure by US Customs. The nuts produced in fleece-lined shells can be eaten raw or roasted although I haven't tried them. Seeds germinate readily if given warmth and moisture and seedlings grow quite fast. My prolific tree is now a source of these seeds within the US.

Please see info. below:

Pachira aquatica (Malabar Chestnut) seeds: 50 @ $15.00 per lot

Shipping= $5.00 in padded envelope                        No shipping overseas. No shipping to HI

Total = $20.00

Payment via Paypal

Please PM me if you are interested.

Photos

Seeds

Pachira_aquatica_seeds_01_02-24-19.thumb.JPG.50f2e3ccd5aabf32a5e406e9da8b5d6e.JPG

Mother Tree

Pachira_aquatica_mother_01_02024-19.thumb.JPG.ca2685adcc7f0c2dd8960962922c42c3.JPGPachira_aquatica_mother_02_02-24-19.thumb.JPG.ee99b8b71ffb379ad0790f838f7df3e9.JPGPachira_aquatica_mother_04_02-24-19.thumb.JPG.f8b5587919415d8519879bea1899b9f9.JPGPachira_aquatica_mother_03_02-24-19.thumb.JPG.6396cd4c1e5a21bf0714a8b377d79a03.JPG

Volunteer Seedling

Pachira_aquatica_seedling_01_02-24-19.thumb.JPG.540dd5205206e0a9864256ff799ce232.JPG

• Like 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

That small tree in your pic is producing the seeds? I have 2 real large ones in the yard. I just don't remember mine seeding so small.

• Like 1

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

13 hours ago, Jeff Searle said:

That small tree in your pic is producing the seeds? I have 2 real large ones in the yard. I just don't remember mine seeding so small.

It's been seeding since 2017.

Meg

Florida

16 hours ago, Jeff Searle said:

Not all plants are the same apparently!

On 2/24/2019 at 8:29 PM, Jeff Searle said:

I have a smaller one that produces seeds.

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm:

For reference, your tree is a Pachira glabra, not Pachira aquatica.

Thanks, Adam.

Meg

Florida

@Missi here's what Wikipedia says:

However, much of what is in cultivation sold as Pachira aquatica is, in actuality, a similar species, P. glabra, which develops a thick base at a younger age and has a smaller growth habit, less showy flowers, and a 6" green seed pod rather than 12" brown seed pod.

• Like 1

The striped seeds are indicative of P. glabra.  P. aquatica seeds are larger and no stripes- they also tend to have a thinner, more paper-like coat that can be peeled off by hand.  

P. glabra has smaller green seed pods; P. aquatica has much larger seed pods that usually turn brown on the tree.

P. glabra gets a bulbous base that has a tendency to sucker.  P. aquatica will push out pneumatophores from the lower trunk (and sometimes upper branches) under wet conditions.  These eventually will turn into buttresses.

P. glabra has nicely scented flowers with white stamens that usually zig zag.  P. aquatica flowers are roughly 2x as large and have stamens that are white at the best and the top 1/3 red...much showier.

P. glabra leaves tend to be more rigid and grow in a flat plane while P. aquatica are softer and usually droop more...but leaves have the most variation of the IDing aspects.

There are different branching angles and patterns that sort of just make it so you can tell when you see them over time also.

I have never seen an actual Pachira aquatica sold as a "Money Tree" or "Braided Money Tree" ever.  It has always been Pachira glabra, regardless of what the label says.

• Like 1

Interesting! I'm going to have to pay closer attention when mine goes to flower/seed again!!

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm:

Mine would be P. aquatica then. Very large seed pods that are brown when dropped.

• Like 1

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

• 3 years later...

My tree was wrecked by Hurricane Ian - no seeds for foreseeable future.

Meg

Florida