IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Dypsis lutescens naturalized in Brevard

Jimbean

I've seen a bunch small ones pop up all over south and central Brevard, but this is the biggest one I've seen yet:

IMG_20190223_123556.jpg

IMG_20190223_123631.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Brevard County, Fl

3 hours ago, Jimbean said:

I've seen a bunch small ones pop up all over south and central Brevard, but this is the biggest one I've seen yet:

IMG_20190223_123556.jpg

IMG_20190223_123631.jpg

Probably the exotic palm that naturalizes best in south/central Florida. I've seen it everywhere down here.

• Upvote 1

Ecologically, not at all cool.

In coastal South Florida, Ptychosperma lineare, Phoenix senegalensis, and Washintonia robusta are the most naturalized species..

In Brevard, we have significant naturalization of Phoenix reclinata, Washintonia robustasyagrus romanzoffiana, and livistona chinensis.  Insignificantly: Roystonea regia, Phoenix roebelenii, Dypsis lutescens, and Caryota mitis.

I've seen lady palms escape out of people's yards, sprouted coconuts, and in one section of sand dune in Cocoa Beach a group of Thrinax radiata might be taking hold with several volunteers poping up under a canopy of seagrapes.

• Like 1

Brevard County, Fl

What does it take to be defined as a naturalized species? Sustained population with individuals present at all stages of life? There are a lot of palms that will volunteer around here in manatee county but the only palms that I would consider to be naturalized here would be miscellaneous Phoenix hybrids (widespread) and Roystonea regia (isolated population on Snead island). I have seen a population of queen palms in a forested gulley in ruskin, Florida that had palms from seedlings all the way up to very tall adults that created a sizable grove. Certainly I have seen various other palms like Washingtonia pop up here and there but I would consider them volunteers.

Edited by ruskinPalms

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

1 minute ago, ruskinPalms said:

What does it take to be defined as a naturalized species? Sustained population with individuals present at all stages of life? There are a lot of palms that will volunteer around here in manatee county but the only palms that I would consider to be naturalized here would be miscellaneous Phoenix hybrids (widespread) and Roystonea regia (isolated population on Snead island). I have seen a population of queen palms in a forested gulley in ruskin, Florida that had palms from seedlings all the way up to very tall adults that created a sizable grove. Certainly I have seen various other palms like Washingtonia pop up here and there but I would consider them volunteers.

I don't know how much the Snead Island royals count. I mean half the island was a palm nursery at one point.

27 minutes ago, ruskinPalms said:

There are a ton of Livistona chinensis on Snead Island too, and I've seen royals naturalizing in Bradenton quite a bit. There's one with some trunk in the woods as you go on I-75 south towards Sarasota (I forget which mile marker though).

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

17 minutes ago, Ubuntwo said:

I don't know how much the Snead Island royals count. I mean half the island was a palm nursery at one point.

I didn’t know it was a nursery at one time. And I haven’t been out there in a long time but I do recall seeing royals all the way from seedlings up to tall adults with sizes in between growing alongside the natural flora of the area. I guess maybe that’s part of my question. How long does a population have to exist and self replicate without any human intervention before it is considered naturalized? Does the population need to be expanding or just stable in total numbers? Usually anything that becomes naturalized to an area was once cultivated by humans or otherwise introduced by humans. It is when that species persists (for how long?) in an area without human intervention that I would consider it naturalized. 

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

3 hours ago, ruskinPalms said:

I didn’t know it was a nursery at one time. And I haven’t been out there in a long time but I do recall seeing royals all the way from seedlings up to tall adults with sizes in between growing alongside the natural flora of the area. I guess maybe that’s part of my question. How long does a population have to exist and self replicate without any human intervention before it is considered naturalized? Does the population need to be expanding or just stable in total numbers? Usually anything that becomes naturalized to an area was once cultivated by humans or otherwise introduced by humans. It is when that species persists (for how long?) in an area without human intervention that I would consider it naturalized. 

Naturalized:  (of a plant or animal) having become established and living wild in a region where it is not indigenous.

I would interpret this to mean a self-sustaining population going full cycle without human intervention.  For example, these Washintonia robusta in Merritt Island:

https://www.google.com/maps/@28.3641744,-80.6888744,3a,75y,109.92h,99.68t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1szWr8IYj72XmhVrvSEaeIBQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Brevard County, Fl

6 minutes ago, Jimbean said:

Naturalized:  (of a plant or animal) having become established and living wild in a region where it is not indigenous.

I would interpret this to mean a self-sustaining population going full cycle without human intervention.  For example, these Washintonia robusta in Merritt Island:

https://www.google.com/maps/@28.3641744,-80.6888744,3a,75y,109.92h,99.68t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1szWr8IYj72XmhVrvSEaeIBQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

This seems like a pretty good definition. To not only have volunteers spread to a new area, but also for those volunteers to then fruit and propagate.

Royals take well to Florida.  The surprise is that native populations were so restricted, presumably due to occasional severe freezes.

Syagrus romanzoffiana has nutrient problems in much of Florida.  Livistona chinensis has sort of naturalized around McKee Garden in Vero Beach.  It is well adapted.  I think we'll see the Australian Livistonas naturalizing to some extent.

I just spotted a 2 foot Archontophoenix hiding in plain sight in my yard.  It gets dug up and potted soon.

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

21 hours ago, hbernstein said:

Ecologically, not at all cool.

In coastal South Florida, Ptychosperma lineare, Phoenix senegalensis, and Washintonia robusta are the most naturalized species..

Sorry, don't know what I was thinking. I meant Phoenix reclinata.