IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Frosty The Lexus

DoomsDave

Frosty The Lexus 

sat frozen in my driveway 

All aglitter with sparkling frost

5639D71C-FC20-457C-A7A7-37C672E29F28.thumb.jpeg.1fdf7888657aded86ff232d4764e213f.jpeg1EE6E983-B404-4C1B-915C-A6D3ABD787A6.thumb.jpeg.317f35afd5d8e02af9648f0600b11e56.jpeg

• Like 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

And the Trucklet of Terror too 

How about you?

4D9A6776-7F44-42F5-85C0-EE62F1876DD9.thumb.jpeg.fbd3ebe0b80e372cfb39cd50a8fbc477.jpeg

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Same here, but in Fresno it's par for the course. We've had 5 or 6 morning like this so far this winter. You must have gotten down to mid-30s? We got down to 34. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

BRRRR. Fun times.

• Upvote 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

1 hour ago, Josue Diaz said:

Same here, but in Fresno it's par for the course. We've had 5 or 6 morning like this so far this winter. You must have gotten down to mid-30s? We got down to 34. 

Makes sense, 34-36F is what i saw when looking over Wx stations closest to Dave's place earlier.  

• Upvote 1

It shows long term weather forecasts are not so accurate. Here in florida we were supposed to be way below average and you guys were supposed to be way above. Not the case I see 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I have no idea how most of Florida escaped a hard freeze this year with all that polar vortex business. I know we are not technically out of the woods yet though...

• Upvote 1

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

That being said, my coworker who lives in the New Tampa area had ice on his car like that a few times this year. I moved to my current place in Parrish in March of 2015 and I don’t recall having ice on the cars yet. My place in Ruskin had ice on the cars frequently the years I lived there. The house in Ruskin was on a medium sized retention pond that steamed like crazy on cool clear nights that unfortunately caused a lot of ice/frost to form on the palms and cars there - even if it may have kept temp up a degree or two in theory. 

• Upvote 1

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

We’ve been getting lows in the mid 30s FF far far later than usual. Most years this cold [fecal material] is over by the end of January.

We had a downright frigid demi snow squall yesterday with thunder and lightning.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ruskinPalms said:

I have no idea how most of Florida escaped a hard freeze this year with all that polar vortex business. I know we are not technically out of the woods yet though...

Among several factors that played a part, this one really tells the story of the weather this month -PNA. 

A Negative PNA ( Pacific North American pattern) almost always signals some degree of cold /wet weather over the west when it dives south.. Been as low as -1.0 earlier in the month, Might attempt a dive to -1.5 or close to -2.0 around /shortly after the 1st of March.

This pattern also factors into why Florida has escaped much of / most of the cold so far.. even with the crazy Polar Vortex events unfolding further north earlier on. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Josue Diaz said:

And the same where I live.. but down to 32 (or lower) a couple of nights.  :(  In my garden the only palm I have that's grown throughout the winter, in a pot, and with barely any overhead canopy protection is my Jubaeopsis caffra. It's still bright green and doesn't show even one tiny bit of frost damage. I've been very impressed leaving it outside for the first time all year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Reeverse said:

It shows long term weather forecasts are not so accurate. Here in florida we were supposed to be way below average and you guys were supposed to be way above. Not the case I see 

I think California actually does better with La Ninas than El Nino -- even though long term forecasts say otherwise. Law of averages say Florida will probably get hammered next winter, and we'll finish our cold by Jan. Last year it got a big chilly in end of Feb as well, although there were some warm days mixed in. 

Still got green bananas though and everything appears green. We'll see if the Royal starts growing again once it warms back into the 70s

Tonight is the last night in the 15 day with lows in the 30s... thank goodness

Edited by enigma99
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Hillizard said:

And the same where I live.. but down to 32 (or lower) a couple of nights.  :(  In my garden the only palm I have that's grown throughout the winter, in a pot, and with barely any overhead canopy protection is my Jubaeopsis caffra. It's still bright green and doesn't show even one tiny bit of frost damage. I've been very impressed leaving it outside for the first time all year.

Same, last night forecast to be in the low 30s for the foreseeable future. Jubaeopsis get's frost burn for me on old leaves. New leaves are unfazed. Mine has been in the ground 2 years and is split in two this summer.

• Like 1

on a side note, caryota obtusa doesn't mind our cold. This is one of two that I know of in Fresno. Located off of Temperance and Central Avenues south of town. This photo is from yesterday. 

20190220_125051.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Josue Diaz said:

on a side note, caryota obtusa doesn't mind our cold. This is one of two that I know of in Fresno. Located off of Temperance and Central Avenues south of town. This photo is from yesterday. 

20190220_125051.jpg

I have a potted C. ochlandra that's still putting out a new leaf right now. I may plant it in the ground under one of my Brachychiton this spring, like the C. obtusa in your picture is under a canopy. They seem to demand a lot of water in the summer. There's an obtusa here in Capital Park, too.

2 hours ago, Josue Diaz said:

Same, last night forecast to be in the low 30s for the foreseeable future. Jubaeopsis get's frost burn for me on old leaves. New leaves are unfazed. Mine has been in the ground 2 years and is split in two this summer.

Glad to learn your Jubaeopsis has now become a 'double header.'  You must be treating it right for that to happen. :greenthumb:

10 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

And the Trucklet of Terror too 

How about you?

Stay warm out there, Dave!  Close to 90F here today.

• Upvote 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

44 minutes ago, kinzyjr said:

Stay warm out there, Dave!  Close to 90F here today.

Obscenities have been screamed