IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

What will climate feel like in 60 years - Check your area

Estlander

The warmer winter I believe (except this winter). Seems as the valley expands the cold gets less every year. Drier winters could be true? But what about summer? 12f in winter is huge. 

Does that mean we can can grow coconuts in 80 years?

8F4A81B7-9B97-4077-8807-CAD194FFAEBF.png

When you check your area, sometimes it gives you your area’s expected winter difference and other times the summer difference. 

When I checked my area again it now gave the summer difference:

AD4C9B0E-55EE-44A5-8834-72DAA052142C.jpeg

42 minutes ago, Estlander said:

When you check your area, sometimes it gives you your area’s expected winter difference and other times the summer difference. 

When I checked my area again it now gave the summer difference:

AD4C9B0E-55EE-44A5-8834-72DAA052142C.jpeg

Playing around w/ this a bit, i saw the same thing also.. 

Having lived in several different places, i looked up the suggested thinking for each, as well as some other spots.. A couple were a bit surprising:

California:

San Jose could have a climate more similar to the Glendale area of Los Angeles

Gilroy, CA could have a climate similar to Jurupa Valley, CA.

Arizona:..

Phoenix,  Saw the same thing you did Max, but also see the suggested summers might be slightly cooler ( like only 0.07 deg cooler,  whoo hoo!, lol ) but possibly up to 165% wetter. Esperenza Sonora ( Mexico) is essentially about where you would really start to encounter Tropical Thorn Scrub / Dry Tropical Forest ( east of the coast, up in foothills around / above Alamos). It is also real close to the Sonora / Sinaloa border. Coconuts reliably grow as far north as Guaymas / Bahia Kino atm. 

Tucson's climate might resemble Hermosillo's by 2100. Hermosillo currently represents where you start encountering a lot of the really cool Tropical Deciduous Forest tropicals when driving south in Sonora..

Kansas:

Lawrence, where i spent the most time when i lived in the state, may resemble Gainsville, Texas, which is closer to Dallas. A change that might be as much as 12 deg warmer in winter than Lawrence is.

The surprises:

San Diego.. This site suggests San D's climate might run closer to Westmont, CA's current climate. A bit skeptical, see why below..

Los Angeles.. The site suggests, under the higher emission scenario L.A.'s climate might resemble Las Palmas in Baja Sur, Mexico and potentially be 5.9F warmer and possibly get ...2032.4% wetter in the summer..    Really on the fence on believing this.. Can see the potential for more summer precip during the summer in Los Angeles, via more tropical activity reaching further north / perhaps a slight westward shift of more monsoonal moisture reaching the area, more often, offering up more possible opportunities for precip.. Just not sure such a transition could / would happen in 60-80 years. Regardless, if you like Coconuts, this may be the place where they show up first.. 

As for San Diego, id imagine, if L.A.'s climate shifts more "Tropical",  San D's climate should as show a similar shift well.. i'd think?..  San Francisco's climate is supposed to resemble Palos Verdes Estates btw.. According to the site's data.. 

Regardless, an interesting tool which in some ways is thinking along similar lines that have crossed my mind a few times regarding how a potentially warmer climate might shift things in various areas..  Of course, if i'm still alive in 2080, we'll see how it all turned out.. 

NYC is supposed to resemble Jonesboro, Arkansas (near Memphis). Here are their annual averages:

NYC - 63/48

Jonesboro - 70/48

With NYC being coastal and far more urbanized, nights will be undoubtedly warmer than those in modern day Jonesboro, they’re already the exact same.

Summer:

Jun - 81/64 vs 88/66

July - 85/70 vs 92/70

Aug - 84/69 vs 90/68

Winter:

Dec - 44/32 vs 49/29

Jan - 39/27 vs 46/26

Feb - 42/29 vs 51/30

Both cities are in hardiness zone 7b with Jonesboro’s average annual minimum temperature actually being colder than NYC’s (6°F vs 9°F).

I think Memphis would’ve been a better fit than Jonesboro, but with a higher hardiness zone. Both Memphis and NYC currently border on zone 7b/8a. Future NYC should be a solid 8a, possibly bordering on 8b.

Edited by cm05

Interesting, but I will be long gone (and so will my kids).

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Hopefully I won't be underwater by 2060

1900155253_Capturadepantalla2019-02-23alas4_53_13PM.thumb.png.6639d567ad7f6bcf412a69551bd5399f.png

Zone 8a/8b Greenville, NC 

Zone 9a/9b Bluffton, SC

On 2/22/2019 at 11:44 AM, Matthew92 said:

And assuming the upcoming Solar minimum doesn't change things...

My thoughts exactly...winters have been trending cooler and while our 90F+ have gone up significantly I am seeing cool spells in summer I can't for the life of me remember seeing growing up. 

• Like 1

LOWS 16/17 12F, 17/18 3F, 18/19 7F, 19/20 20F

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

That's a cool interactive map. When I typed in Houston, TX it said that it would  be like current day Ciudad Valles, Mexico at 4.1 degrees F warmer and 27% wetter. Like someone mentioned earlier, im just hoping to not be part of the Gulf of Mexico!