IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Lodoicea maldivica in the news

Elvis Cruz

This past Sunday, February 17, 2019, the CBS Sunday Morning show did a segment on "The Seychelles' Coco De Mer tree".  The story is entertaining and informative, although palm aficionados may be disappointed that neither the word "palm" nor the botanical name, Lodoicea maldivica, are mentioned.

You can see it by clicking here.

• Like 6

I enjoyed the video very much.  Thanks Elvis!

I have so many fond memories of visiting the islands and hope to return in the future.

I think Loidoceas would grow well in the botanical gardens in Puerto Rico (distribution adding to their chances of long term species survival) 

and also on my farm of course.

I would love to see any photos of them growing anywhere!

• Upvote 1

Cindy Adair

Great video thanks Elvis. This is one country on my bucket list to go to.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

There's some in the Darwin Botanic Gardens and they always loaded with fruit. Unfortunately I think the nearest male is probablydwn-bot-gardens-180310-12.JPG.372708eceacdd0a1d865234d2db71903.JPG in the Seychelles.

dwn-bot-gardens-180310-10.JPG.f6c9c4d8f91b6143b4c4f54c63c77d88.JPG

dwn-bot-gardens-180310-09.JPG.604cbe73b557c5708528bdef0a4bc7ea.JPG

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1