Elvis Cruz

Lodoicea maldivica in the news

Elvis Cruz

This past Sunday, February 17, 2019, the CBS Sunday Morning show did a segment on "The Seychelles' Coco De Mer tree".  The story is entertaining and informative, although palm aficionados may be disappointed that neither the word "palm" nor the botanical name, Lodoicea maldivica, are mentioned.

You can see it by clicking here.

• Like 6

Cindy Adair

I enjoyed the video very much.  Thanks Elvis!

I have so many fond memories of visiting the islands and hope to return in the future.

I think Loidoceas would grow well in the botanical gardens in Puerto Rico (distribution adding to their chances of long term species survival) 

and also on my farm of course.

I would love to see any photos of them growing anywhere!

• Upvote 1

Darold Petty

Thanks for posting !  :greenthumb:

Jeff Searle

Great video thanks Elvis. This is one country on my bucket list to go to.

Jeff

Mangosteen

Thank you for posting the video!

tropicbreeze

There's some in the Darwin Botanic Gardens and they always loaded with fruit. Unfortunately I think the nearest male is probablydwn-bot-gardens-180310-12.JPG.372708eceacdd0a1d865234d2db71903.JPG in the Seychelles.

dwn-bot-gardens-180310-10.JPG.f6c9c4d8f91b6143b4c4f54c63c77d88.JPG

dwn-bot-gardens-180310-09.JPG.604cbe73b557c5708528bdef0a4bc7ea.JPG

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• TomJ
      By TomJ
      I had been here some five years before and a lot has grown A LOT since. I wasn't sure if it was the same place at first until I got inside. I was trying not to repeat photos from my last post of the Gardens by the Bay a few days ago. It is  hard coming from California when around every corner there are perfect "Lipstick" and "Joey" specimens.  The one in the cage is the Lodoicea Maldivica. There were two other cages with ones that didn’t make it (dead).  This is a public park and the cage keeps out dogs, kids, and fellow palm geeks like me. ENJOY

• Missi
      By Missi
      Ran by Fairchild for a couple hours last Thursday afternoon. Sharing some quick mobile pic updates.
      First, Lodoicea in the Conservatory. Hard to get a good shot because space is cramped.
      1. Full plant shot + Hubby.
      2. Detail of emerging new leaf.
      3. & 4. General leaf detail (I find leaf detail shots to be eye candy ).
      Next, in the comments below, are some sad Copernicia updates...

• Stethoscope
      By Stethoscope
      Check out this interesting article about Lodoicea Maldivica, they still don't know why the seeds are so large and how the female flowers get pollinated...
      https://www.newscientist.com/article/dn26930-the-secret-of-the-worlds-largest-seed-revealed/
    • Peter Timmermans
      By Peter Timmermans
      Still sorting out my 8000+ photos of the 2016 Biennial and Post-Biennial. Both trips were a perfect mix of cultivated palms and palms in habitat. I had a great time, so a big thank you  to everyone who organised and attended the trips! One of the higlights was of course the iconic Double Coconut with leaves up to 10 m2 growing in the botanic gardens of Singapore and Darwin. An amazing palm considering the poor conditions in which it grows in the Seychelles.

• david100
      By david100
      I have a section from a triple segment coco de mer.
      I cannot seem to find anything about it on the internet.
      Can anyone help me and point me in the right direction?