IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Palm Seed Identification Help, Honolulu Hawaii

Glak

There is a very common palm species in Honolulu Hawaii that drops these green fruits that happen to look uncannily like Foxtail Palm fruits, however unlike Foxtail Palm Fruits upon dissection they don't have a seed in their center.

I'm going to post some pictures of the fruits and I'd appreciate it if you guys knew more about the species or if the fruits themselves were in fact the seeds for the palm.

The first is a stock image that I found online that had exactly 0 information on the tree itself. The following is a picture of the fruit dissected. I wanted to post a third picture as well however the site had issues with its file size.

I appreciate the assistance, I can't quite figure out if these are seeds or simply just fruit. Which as a broader question, Are all Fruits Seeds?

palm-tree-seed-identification-home-improvement-stores-near-me-open-now.jpg

20190213_202851.jpg

Edited by Glak

Immature coconut fruit.

• Like 1

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

yup, immature coconut. They usually cut them off before they get to big. Keeps them from falling off and cracking someone in the head.

• Like 1

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

7 hours ago, Glak said:

Are all Fruits Seeds?

Hi Jason, welcome to Palmtalk!  Unfortunately the immature coconuts won't germinate for you.  They are a more convenient size for transporting back to Georgia, but won't grow.  At this stage the embryo hasn't fully developed yet.  Most palm seeds are covered with fruit (like a peach) that should be removed prior to sowing.  It is similar to picking a quarter-sized peach in April.

Jon

• Like 1

Jon Sunder