IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Sabal Louisiana Hardiness?

LasPalmerasDeMaryland

I recently have bought some Sabal Louisianas because I thought they were basically the same as Sabal Minors in terms of hardiness. But I’ve been finding conflicting reports on their hardiness. Some say they are equal to Sabal Minor, and some say they aren’t as hardy. I’m afraid that they’ll croak in my Zone 7b. Has anyone had experience with S. Louisiana? Would they be possible in a Maryland 7b/8a? Or are they more of a solid zone 8? 

My belief is they are around 5F hardy.   And Minor is -5F-0F hardy.  When smaller before they get a trunk they may be hardier because of the warmth of the ground.  (ie closer).  I would wrap in a blanket in arctic events below 10 or 5F if you want to be safer.  They have a pretty good shot in your area.  Plant in late April if temps look good.

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

5 hours ago, Allen said:

My belief is they are around 5F hardy.   And Minor is -5F-0F hardy.  When smaller before they get a trunk they may be hardier because of the warmth of the ground.  (ie closer).  I would wrap in a blanket in arctic events below 10 or 5F if you want to be safer.  They have a pretty good shot in your area.  Plant in late April if temps look good.

All good news for me as I was starting to lean sabal Louisiana.

LOWS 16/17 12F, 17/18 3F, 18/19 7F, 19/20 20F

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

Sabal minor and Louisiana are much more resilient to ice/spear pull events.  Think of Louisiana as a fast growing minor.

• Upvote 1

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

I lost my potted Louisiana last winter when it hit 15F but they would probably be fine in the ground. 

Los Angeles, CA and Myrtle Beach, SC.

Now whats the difference between sabal Louisiana and bluestem? I only kinda know that bluestem is a similar most likely less hardy Florida version. But I could be wrong...

Edited by mdsonofthesouth

LOWS 16/17 12F, 17/18 3F, 18/19 7F, 19/20 20F

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

From my personal experience here in my 5b/6a climate (although this winter it's more like a 3a lol) the Sabal Louisiana is the most cold hardy palm other than the Needle.  My first was between a seedling and a 1 gallon that first couple of winters only had a small plastic pop up greenhouse and a 50ct ministring of lights for any kind of warmth. The protection did not offer ANY thermal protection at all, yet the palm came through totally unscathed and has done so each winter since. Now that it's grown some height  I now use a 55 gallon plastic barrel to protect it.

I have since looked for these palms and they are not always easy to find especially outside the 1 gallon size.    I have around 25 palms planted in the ground I over winter of various species and now have 4 S. Louisianas part of that group.  For me, it's my go to outdoor palm because of how tough it is.

• Like 2

I understood Sabal Louisiana was just a sabal minor that pushed its trunk above ground. I understand that Sabal Minor has a huge subterranean trunk. That would mean that until any of the sabals push their trunk above an insulated ground they would come back from the trunk. 

I also thought that it was debatable that they were actually separate species and that possibly Lousiana's high water table and clay soil sends the trunk of a sabal minor up looking for fresh air, resulting in Sabal minor "Louisiana"

• Like 1

This does not have anything to do with Sabal Louisianas hardiness, but holy moly look at this one from the USDA Plant Database in Southern Louisiana. It's not the biggest one, but imagine seeing that in a swamp. https://plants.sc.egov.usda.gov/java/largeImage?imageID=salo14_002_avp.tif 

salo14_002_lvp.jpg

Edited by PalmTreeDude
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

PalmTreeDude

• 2 months later...
On ‎2‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 3:34 PM, Tropicdoc said:

I understood Sabal Louisiana was just a sabal minor that pushed its trunk above ground. I understand that Sabal Minor has a huge subterranean trunk. That would mean that until any of the sabals push their trunk above an insulated ground they would come back from the trunk. 

I also thought that it was debatable that they were actually separate species and that possibly Lousiana's high water table and clay soil sends the trunk of a sabal minor up looking for fresh air, resulting in Sabal minor "Louisiana"

Very interesting to hear it explained that way I'm very intrigued now as I just got my hands on a Louisiana =)

T J 

• 2 years later...

Well, how is it doing?

Not sure if this thread is still alive but I'm planning myself to get a Sabal minor but I'm debating between Sabal minor 'Louisiana' and 'McCurtain' because the McCurtain is a smaller size. I'm in zone 6.

Louisiana may be a tad bit less hardy than the regular species, Sabal minor, BUT they do have the advantage of growing faster and potentially recuperating from cold damage.  I am not familiar with McCurtain.

1 hour ago, maple said:

Well, how is it doing?

Not sure if this thread is still alive but I'm planning myself to get a Sabal minor but I'm debating between Sabal minor 'Louisiana' and 'McCurtain' because the McCurtain is a smaller size. I'm in zone 6.

Get McCurtain or any regular minor.

Mccurtain may be smaller than Louisiana, but it’s not small. I used to assume mccurtain was the same size as a “standard” minor, but that’s not the case, they can get big in their own right. Robust and vigorous are good descriptors for mccurtain. Mccurtain in both pics below.112234B6-41D5-4EEF-B5F1-2B2DBE4ED6B2.thumb.jpeg.e9b4db49901b7380998d2f0015c36b7a.jpeg5CFC6DA1-FC2F-42CF-B5F0-1DF8269A2C27.thumb.jpeg.2959cde435e0bf028bb02524feb3ebae.jpeg

• Like 5

@teddytn I thought they were standard size too. I’m going to have to move some of them based on your photos. - I know it’s a huge no no but they are still quite small with only strap leaves so if I dig deep enough I should be ok. Thanks for posting those great photos. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Chester B said:

@teddytn I thought they were standard size too. I’m going to have to move some of them based on your photos. - I know it’s a huge no no but they are still quite small with only strap leaves so if I dig deep enough I should be ok. Thanks for posting those great photos. 

The one I have planted is nowhere near that size. When I saw those in person it was a definite wake up call lol. Had to be 7’ to the top of the fronds. When they’re mature they’ll take up some serious real estate. I’ve dug sabals and they all lived, you know better than me, just be kind to the roots.

• Like 1

Hardy here ; I've never seen damage and it has seen a low of 5F in 2014 and a low of 4F in 2015 . I need to collect seed on it now . 

I'll see if I can get a picture of mine today .

Will

Edited by Will Simpson
  • Like 4

Is anyone selling Louisiana ? TCHP I’m sure had them and that was my purchase avenue but that’s a dead end I fear now. 

17 minutes ago, RJ said:

Is anyone selling Louisiana ? TCHP I’m sure had them and that was my purchase avenue but that’s a dead end I fear now. 

I acquired one from Brian’s Botanicals last month 

2 hours ago, RJ said:

I got mine from @Phil Jungle Music he would be worth a try. 

2 hours ago, Chester B said:

I know where you can buy seeds.

I would be interested in some seeds for sure. Actually any trunking minor im always interested in =) 

T J 

T J 

4 hours ago, RJ said:

If no luck from anywhere else, I know Nearly Native Nursery did have some left in the fall. They also usually have etonia and mexicana as well. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I have a 2 large ones (5ft tall) in ground for 7 years now. They went in as 3 strap seedlings,  here on Newark,NJ (Zone7a).   Minimal protection.  Its been giving me lots of seeds on multiple inflorescence stalks last 3 years. It just shot up 4 new stalks.😊

20230625_165135.jpg

• Like 2

I've had a S Louisiana for over 25 years from the old Louisiana Nursery ("Magnolias - the Garden Aristocrat").  They swore that it was a separate species.  It was always in shade and the petioles were longer, but a tree fell and the canopy opened-up a bit.  Large leaves, but no real trunk in all that time.  It's near water but planted in clay up-hill from the water.  It has always seemed to me to be as hardy as S minor.  I'm in 7B.  

IMG_1841.jpeg

IMG_1838.jpeg

• Like 2

On 7/4/2023 at 11:56 AM, Luis Arroyo said:

20230625_165130.jpg

OMG I saw this palm in person walking by it the other day! 

An Autistic 18 year old who has an obsession with Palms!

As I mentioned in January , I have found mine as hardy as Minors . Oh , and that picture I mentioned in January lol . 

Notice the shorter than Minor inflorescences .

53042650467_3207c6fd35_b.jpg

Edited by Will Simpson
  • Like 1