IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Cocos nucifera indoor winter experiments

Rickybobby

On 12/2/2021 at 6:23 PM, AZ_Palm_Guy said:

@ando.wsu what type of potting soil are you using for your coconut?

I think i just bought some miracle grow soil from home depot.  

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Since my problem is maybe cause of the winter i am joining this conversion.

I am really desperate and since people have exp in succeeding like @MelvinB who lives in the same country as me.

I will do my best to explain it. I got the coconut palm for 1.5 years now.

You can see on the first photo how it looked like when i bought it. After buying it i tried everything to make it grow and gave me a big smile.

After like a year i think it grew pretty good. You can see in photo 2 how much it grew in a year time. This picture was made in june.

It shows a new sphere was in the making. In that time i found out that the basket where it was in leaked.

So in a lot of stress i had to buy a new one fast. You can see photo 3 the new one. It also shows the sphere got bigger.

You can clearly see that all the leaves are looking nice and green. except for one on the end of the leave, but that was cause of transportation.

After some time the sphere opened up and become almost as big as the last one. there was also a new sphere in the making.

@ that time it was around september/october. Before this everything was all good.

But then it started. I was getting a  brown leave. I wasn't worried cause it was only the second one and it was the smallest of them all.

So i had the id that it was just fine since they can't be green forever. But then the other one started to get brown and so on and on.

It happened in a timeframe of 1.5 month. The last photo shows how it looks like now. the last two leaves are still standing. 

When all this happened the new sphere is still growing and is nicely green. I'm not sure what is wrong or not.

If i put my hand in the soil it's dry. i put like 2 hands length in it. I found this out a few weeks ago.

My conclusion is not enough water.  Atm i am just worried that i will try to much.  also put in a humanfier casue the % was kinda low.( around 30 ) ( i did this 2 weeks ago )

The temp is always above 22 degrees. The % is between 50 and 65 now.

i hope someone can help me out so i can save this.

IMG-20220104-WA0002.jpg

IMG-20220104-WA0004.jpg

IMG-20220104-WA0003 (1).jpg

IMG-20220104-WA0005.jpg

6 hours ago, Stylez said:

I am really desperate and since people have exp in succeeding like @MelvinB who lives in the same country as me.

You can see on the first photo how it looked like when i bought it. After buying it i tried everything to make it grow and gave me a big smile.

After like a year i think it grew pretty good. You can see in photo 2 how much it grew in a year time. This picture was made in june.

It shows a new sphere was in the making. In that time i found out that the basket where it was in leaked.

So in a lot of stress i had to buy a new one fast. You can see photo 3 the new one. It also shows the sphere got bigger.

You can clearly see that all the leaves are looking nice and green. except for one on the end of the leave, but that was cause of transportation.

After some time the sphere opened up and become almost as big as the last one. there was also a new sphere in the making.

@ that time it was around september/october. Before this everything was all good.

But then it started. I was getting a  brown leave. I wasn't worried cause it was only the second one and it was the smallest of them all.

So i had the id that it was just fine since they can't be green forever. But then the other one started to get brown and so on and on.

It happened in a timeframe of 1.5 month. The last photo shows how it looks like now. the last two leaves are still standing. 

When all this happened the new sphere is still growing and is nicely green. I'm not sure what is wrong or not.

If i put my hand in the soil it's dry. i put like 2 hands length in it. I found this out a few weeks ago.

My conclusion is not enough water.  Atm i am just worried that i will try to much.  also put in a humanfier casue the % was kinda low.( around 30 ) ( i did this 2 weeks ago )

IMG-20220104-WA0002.jpg

IMG-20220104-WA0004.jpg

IMG-20220104-WA0005.jpg

Wish I could help you figure out whats going on.  I water mine all winter long with warm water when dry, keeping it fairly moist (just not wet) when indoors.   Especially since you have warm enough indoor temps, maybe it is just simoly drying out? I keep my place around 68-70 degrees F (20-21 C) during winter with low humidity being in the desert here in Phoenix. 

1169D928-E81B-480C-9B4C-BB3890BE5AEB.jpeg

• Like 2

On 1/5/2022 at 1:00 AM, ando.wsu said:

Wish I could help you figure out whats going on.  I water mine all winter long with warm water when dry, keeping it fairly moist (just not wet) when indoors.   Especially since you have warm enough indoor temps, maybe it is just simoly drying out? I keep my place around 68-70 degrees F (20-21 C) during winter with low humidity being in the desert here in Phoenix. 

1169D928-E81B-480C-9B4C-BB3890BE5AEB.jpeg

i am just trying to give it more water. checking the bottom if it's not getting to wet.

I just don't know if the bottom is wet or not.  but the length of 2 hands  is kinda always dry when i check.

On 1/4/2022 at 9:40 AM, Stylez said:

IMG-20220104-WA0002.jpg

IMG-20220104-WA0004.jpg

IMG-20220104-WA0005.jpg

Looks like you changed the soil type  between the 3rd and 4th pictures.

What kind of lamp are you using? Incandescent? how many watts? Seems you have it pointed to the leaves and not the soil/base of the coconut.

• Upvote 1

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

4 hours ago, GottmitAlex said:

Looks like you changed the soil type  between the 3rd and 4th pictures.

What kind of lamp are you using? Incandescent? how many watts? Seems you have it pointed to the leaves and not the soil/base of the coconut.

The only thing that changed with the soil is some regular house plant soil added. with what i had.
The above is just some sand for the looks.

I'm not sure which lamp it is but it is a 100 watt lamp for reptiles.

I used a 80 watt one before this since i bought the palm.

After talking how much water she gave. she admit it was way less then when it was autumn/winter.

If that radiator is on for keeping the room at 22C, then the cocos is drying out since it’t standing next to it.

Also make sure there are no cold drafts and use lukewarm water when watering the cocos.

Is the soil fast draining? (Most regular potting soil don’t) 

I guess there are draining holes at the bottom of the container?

My equipment makes the temp 22 or more. It  depends on the temp outside.

I saw last time the was was 12 outside which makes it inside 23.5

if it's like 3 outside it will be around a bit below 22.

So yeah if the temp is getting below 22 i will heat it up.

i put the humanifier close to the palm.

It's n ever under 45  % now.  

@ the time of writing it is 54 % with temp of 23.6 without the heater on.

the temp of the water that i give is room temp.

im not sure if the soil if fast draining. I am not sure what it means to be honest.

But since the soil is good for 1 year i thought it woulbn/.t be a problem.

i got no draining holes on the bottom.

About the soil. i got sand/coco coir/some regular house plant and some fruit soil. I also believe i had some palm soil. 

Edited by Stylez
forgot something

Why do you use the heat lamp when temps inside are already high enough?  

Fast draining soil means an excess of water can leave the container quickly via the draining holes. Otherwise excess water will exists in the soil which leads to root rot. 

Did you disturb the root ball when repotting?

Something went wrong after repotting tho.

I'm not sure what it exactly was. but since it is a  reptile lamp they need like sunlight or something like that.

That's the reason i got it on.

If you put a length of 1.5 hand in the soil and you find out it dry. Is that a good measure or do you really need to go to the bottom?

Today i did saw there is a new leaf coming. The new one has to pop out since it is still small.

I pulled the palm out of the soil and kinda left the roots how it was. If that is what you mean.

The pot change is also 4 or 5 months ago. maybe even 6.

the first brown leaves started around 2 months ago .

Since Friday i added grow light's.

I will make a picture of it.  I'm afraid it will go brown as well. 
The 2 large one in the last picture are brown 2.

one is only a little bit green below the leave.

@Stylez

he does not drink enough, and that lamp is not good for him, it heats and dries in an already warm environment. ... earth for green plants such as geraniums or flowers, not good because it helps root rot ... sand and earth mix of succulents is ok as use on mine! the vase must be super perforated and the water every time must come out of the holes underneath and give warm / hot water ....

this is my two year old holland greenhouse coconut! underneath I use a trolley with wheels ... so that the vase does not touch the cold floor ... the water drains immediately and quickly ...

20220107_085541.jpg

20220107_085509.jpg

Edited by Aleitalyyy
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I want to thank everyone for trying to help me out.

unfortunately the palm is slowly coming to its end.

I tried all the suggested but it was already doomed i guess.

@Aleitalyyy CAn you give me an estimate on how much water you gave your 1 year old palm

I probably want to try another one but before i do i want an estimate on how much water you give yours.

Can you also show me the soil you use/bought from. Do you feed it ? If yes with what and where to get it. How much and when you give it.

I would really appreciate it if you can give me the info i ask.

4 hours ago, Stylez said:

I want to thank everyone for trying to help me out.

unfortunately the palm is slowly coming to its end.

I tried all the suggested but it was already doomed i guess.

@Aleitalyyy CAn you give me an estimate on how much water you gave your 1 year old palm

I probably want to try another one but before i do i want an estimate on how much water you give yours.

Can you also show me the soil you use/bought from. Do you feed it ? If yes with what and where to get it. How much and when you give it.

I would really appreciate it if you can give me the info i ask.

You are Dutch right? Then this is the best soil you can get:

https://www.mypalmshop.nl/palmengrond-45-ltr

I have the same soil for all my palms, so the Cocos also.

Je moet wel weer voeding geven nadat die grond uitgewerkt is. Er staat bij het product voor hoeveel maanden voeding er in de palmgrond zit. 

14 hours ago, Stylez said:

Er staat 16 maanden voeding. maar in die tussentijd geef je zelf niet extra voeding?

Niet veel, af en toe wat vloeibaar. (Zomers)

• 1 month later...

@Stylez hello I give water every 10 days maybe less or maybe more depending on how much sun it gets from the window ... if it gets sun it is usually dry after a week! the earth is a mix of succulents and sea sand! fertilizer I give nitroposka blue with blue grains a handful every 30 days in summer every 15 days ... I water with hot water ... to me the coconut grows much more simply than a lemon tree! don't do big coconut cures ...

16466654587491214042438469446498.jpg

16466654810993444919361886913612.jpg

16466655006083718324873711842310.jpg

16466655127056484126249404229708.jpg

• 9 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Update. Did a repot today because the Cocos was leaning more and more under its own weight. Now it’s upright again. :) 

IMG_9592.jpeg

• Like 6

18 hours ago, MelvinB said:

Update. Did a repot today because the Cocos was leaning more and more under its own weight. Now it’s upright again. :) 

IMG_9592.jpeg

you keep him indoors 24/7 now?

• Like 1

previously known as ego

2 minutes ago, MelvinB said:

Yes. 

If it ever produces nuts, I'll buy one 😆

previously known as ego

13 hours ago, MelvinB said:

Not a change that will ever happen haha.

Do you have a plan for when it becomes too high?

previously known as ego

• 6 months later...

So, in October 2023 i did a repot of my big Cocos Nucifera since it was leaning a lot and i want it to be upright again. 
unfortunately, after repotting, it’s health went downhill slowly (leaves dying off and no new growth) so today i decided to throw it away. It was around 6 years old i guess.

Since June 2023 i’ve also got a Dwarf Golden Malay which i always wanted but never found a seller in Europe. Until i found a seller and ordered one.

This Golden is now in the container and location of the old Cocos and i hope it will settle there to grow as “big” as the old Cocos. 

IMG_0501.jpeg