IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Red Cotton Tree

mike-coral gables

My 10 year old Bombax Ceiba tree is about 2 weeks away from peak blooming . Also have an orange variety but it is only 2 years old and has not yet flowered . Great tropical flowering tree for warm 9b zones. Is this a common tropical flowering tree in Cali? 

4C784C27-D787-4261-919F-BF04FD789BB0.jpeg

EE413F4B-9345-4553-A3A7-627DA826C8E6.jpeg

• Like 2

Aside from Tabebuia / Handroanthus, these, and Pseudobombax ellipticum ( esp. the Pink - flowering variety) are quintessential assurance that spring.. ( or at least an early spring / spring-like heatwave ) have arrived there in FL.  With the exception of the Pink -flowered var. of Pseudobombax  one could also include these three Genus' as heralds of spring warmth across Southern Cal. also, alongside Erythrina sp,  Calodendrum ( Cape Chestnut) and /or  various Acacia sp.  among others.. 

As far as this species occurrence across Southern California,  Have seen the specimen at the L.A. Arboretum ( pictures below), and have heard of others being grown there, but hard to say just how commonly it is offered in nurseries across the area. As big as it can get, i'd imagine it would be too big for many smaller yards, though i know it can be kept smaller, even flowering in large pots.. Still, a better tree for parks than most, average-sized yards..  Less early season heat / humidity might somewhat reduce overall growing speed in CA. vs. FL but shouldn't have issues w/ the cold there, esp. after a couple years of growth.. at least around Los Angeles / San Diego. 

Can see this tree being a great, trial-worthy species here around Phoenix,  though i'd start off in some shade / paint the trunk for a few years here. My larger, potted specimen would show bad sun burn by July when exposed to sun after 11 am. Seedlings i have i keep in my shade house.  

Pictures from the L.A. Arboretum, Taken on 5-5-2012. Would love to see how much this tree has grown since then..  Let alone if it ( or any others out there) are producing seed yet..
IMG_0646.JPG.7c3f8d81316715841f5425c4d31e81b8.JPGIMG_0647.JPG.cf6d9ec0664cdb9cf95a2e860c68b5c1.JPG

Pictures from one of a few large / massive specimens in front of the old Bradenton Herald property, near downtown Bradenton, FL. Taken: 1-18-2015. Seedlings i have came from these trees.
SAM_3975.JPG.edc6869e0283293783c46a9504e0052b.JPGSAM_3972.JPG.3b03605d875c61b40868391fdb023a53.JPG

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2