IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Urgent Pachypodium Help!

TropiLocal

I just discovered the tarp failed over my over-winter Pachypodium terrarium. All of my rooted seedlings we're completely submerged in water for around 30 hours.  I've removed and drained each. I placed them on a heat mat with hardware cloth between to aid in drying from below. Any other ideas?

IMG_20190215_151954.jpg

I saw your image before reading the text and thought it must a joke! Using pachypodium as aquatics plants! lol

I'd bare root them and let them dry out completely in as much sun as you can give them. Repot them in the spring. 

Yikes!

Don't think i'd bare root myself but def. get them dry and on that warm pad.. and out of the elements.. 

Most sp. are pretty tough, but watch them like a hawk.. Have some copper fungicide / sulfur powder ready,  and NO mo' water, for now at least.  If.. they are in a mix w/ any organics, get them in pure Pumice.. and /or w/some Turface..  The organic components in the soil mix can help promote any fungal /rot issues when these are too wet.. then cross your fingers.. and keep us updated. 

Thank you for the suggestions! I've brought them inside and have them over the heat mat with a lamp above. I can't get to disassembling them all tonight, but tomorrow morning first thing I'll deconstruct, treat with copper fungicide and repot in straight pumice. Ill probably let them sit in open air for a couple hours or so depending on how we they are. 

IMG_20190215_170619.jpg

• Like 2

On 2/16/2019 at 1:48 AM, waykoolplantz said:

Drill a drain hole...btw

Lol good call.

I repotted them all into straight pumice. Some roots were mush so I tweezered them out, did a fungicide dip and repotted.  They're back inside the dry terrarium. We'll see which ones make it in spring, I think they'll be ok. 

Edited by TropiLocal
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Update 4/26/19

All survived and are thriving. I was surprised to see leaves started pushing on the P. brevicaule just a couple weeks after they were repotted.   P. horombense was last to wake up. 

Also a picture of my P. succulentum starting to flower. 

IMG_20190425_173026.jpg

IMG_20190425_172946.jpg

• Like 1

Good work! I have grown many species of Pachypodium and I always love seeing them wake up this time of year (along with the plumeria). I have found getting P. brevicaule through the winter the hardest, so consider your work quite an accomplishment. They remind of the three little bears' porridge, except there is no "just right." I've killed enough to give up. Grafting seems the way to go...

• Like 1