IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

In Need of Small Watering Can (For Seed Starting)

PalmTreeDude

Hello, I am in need of a small watering can for indoor plants that I'll use for seed starting. All of my watering cans and stuff that I water with that I have turn up the soil even when I water lightly and can put the seeds at the top and mess everything up. Does anyone know of a small watering can that has a light stream that I can use for seed starting? 

PalmTreeDude

Maybe try a spray bottle with an adjustable nozzle -- from a fine mist to a direct stream and everything in between. If you have acres of indoor plants that may be too labor intensive.

• Upvote 1

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

On 2/15/2019 at 3:42 PM, Kim said:

Maybe try a spray bottle with an adjustable nozzle -- from a fine mist to a direct stream and everything in between. If you have acres of indoor plants that may be too labor intensive.

I have a spray bottle, but it never seems to penetrate deep into the soil. I tested this out with a normal watering can and a spray bottle with the same amount of water, the water sprayed from the spray bottle only went about a half an inch deep in the soil while the watering can with the same amount went all the way to the bottom. I am not sure why this happens. 

Edited by PalmTreeDude

PalmTreeDude

• 4 weeks later...

I have two watering cans (plastic) that have a screwable rose (the nozzle) so it doesn't disrupt the soil.  But, mostly, I fill the tray (these are houseplants) with the plant in it and let capillary action water it, and then transfer to another tray and tip it up so it can drain, and then put in a dry tray.  I have found that by pouring water over plant, there can be dry spots, and this way, everything gets wet.  Its a hassle, but works for me.  BTW, good luck trying to find a rose that screws off, so, I am really careful not to lose them.  I also use soluble palm food for this method. Cecile.  

• Like 1