Sign in to follow this  
PalmTreeDude

In Need of Small Watering Can (For Seed Starting)

PalmTreeDude

Hello, I am in need of a small watering can for indoor plants that I'll use for seed starting. All of my watering cans and stuff that I water with that I have turn up the soil even when I water lightly and can put the seeds at the top and mess everything up. Does anyone know of a small watering can that has a light stream that I can use for seed starting? 

Kim

Maybe try a spray bottle with an adjustable nozzle -- from a fine mist to a direct stream and everything in between. If you have acres of indoor plants that may be too labor intensive.

• Upvote 1

PalmTreeDude
On 2/15/2019 at 3:42 PM, Kim said:

Maybe try a spray bottle with an adjustable nozzle -- from a fine mist to a direct stream and everything in between. If you have acres of indoor plants that may be too labor intensive.

I have a spray bottle, but it never seems to penetrate deep into the soil. I tested this out with a normal watering can and a spray bottle with the same amount of water, the water sprayed from the spray bottle only went about a half an inch deep in the soil while the watering can with the same amount went all the way to the bottom. I am not sure why this happens. 

Edited by PalmTreeDude

SHEP

I have two watering cans (plastic) that have a screwable rose (the nozzle) so it doesn't disrupt the soil.  But, mostly, I fill the tray (these are houseplants) with the plant in it and let capillary action water it, and then transfer to another tray and tip it up so it can drain, and then put in a dry tray.  I have found that by pouring water over plant, there can be dry spots, and this way, everything gets wet.  Its a hassle, but works for me.  BTW, good luck trying to find a rose that screws off, so, I am really careful not to lose them.  I also use soluble palm food for this method. Cecile.  

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• mxcolin
      By mxcolin
      I have a Chinese Fan Palm growing in a container and it's starting to go yellow and brown. I live in an area that has hot, very sunny, rainless summers. I'm watering the palm with a drip line every 4 days for 30 minutes and I've fertilized twice in the last few months. New growth is coming and I've removed a few fronds recently that were really brown. The roots aren't water logged, the container has ample drainage and I've tried to test this by putting a wooden stake all the way down to the bottom of the container, it comes back out bone dry. Can I put this down to just hot dry summers and not enough water or do you think there is something else at work here?

• ChuchoJ
      By ChuchoJ
      I’m urgently looking for help diagnosing why my king palms are dying (see pictures).  I planted them just over 3 weeks ago, the leaves started sagging within the past week, and now the leaves are turning brown with yellow spots.  I think it’s likely a water issue, but I don’t know if they’re getting too little or too much. 

- SOURCE: Purchased at HD.  I think they were in 15 gallon containers - 2 triples and 1 double, each ~6 feet tall.  The last several inches of many leaves had been clipped off. 
      -          - SOIL:  Planted with 50/50 native soil to palm/citrus/cactus mix…or could have been more like 40/60. 

-         -  HOLES:  Dug twice as wide as pots and a few inches deeper and filled the extra depth with the palm mix.  Right now, the roots at the top are slightly exposed (~ 1 inch) from soil washing away and/or settling.  Is this OK?

-        -   WEATHER:  The first week, they got several days of heavy rain.  Since then it’s been in the 70’s and sunny by day, and the 50’s at night.  (low humidity)

-         -  WATERING: I fully saturated the palms when I planted them and they each have a ring of roughly ten ½ gph emitters that run 3X/wk for 20 minutes each time (so 5 gallons each per week at 1.67 gallons per feeding).  Since they started going downhill a week ago, I’ve given them 2 hand waterings of maybe 10 gallons each, some of which runs off.  If I were to continue this regime, they’d each get around 15 gallons per week spread over 4 waterings [3 X 1.67 gallons, 1 X 10+ gallons).

PROGRESSION - They were fine for the first 2 weeks (the first of which got heavy rain), then some leaves/branches started drooping in week 3.  I thought it was lack of water, so I gave them all a drenching by hand (~10 gallons each), and then yesterday I noticed some large sections of leaves turning dark brown and dying.  (See pictures)  Some websites say you should give them as many gallons as their original pot size, so if I feed 3x/wk that would mean 45 gallons per palm - triple what I’ve started giving them.  My local nursery, which doesn’t specialize in palms, thinks I'm over-watering them.  They say its transplant shock and that I should add “Sure Start” or “B1” (some MPK supplement?) to counter it.  

So what’s the diagnosis?  Transplant shock?  Not enough water (and/or too shallow)?  Too much?  Something else?

Thanks in advance for your help!!!

• PalmTreeDude
      By PalmTreeDude
      Right now by the lake it is warmer than away from it, so it is warming it up, I am going to see how long it takes to stop. What about you, if your near a lake?
    • PalmTreeDude
      By PalmTreeDude
      Why do beaches (normally closer to and in the tropics) have clear water yet places like the South Carolina coastline don't? I know Sardinia, Italy has crystal clear water and it is pretty far up there.
    • Jdiaz31089
      By Jdiaz31089
      Following Dave's advice, I've been generous with the amount of water I give beccariophoenix alfredii - and boy does this palm love it. This palm doesn't even bat an eye in full sun and endless weeks of 110 degree weather.