IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Kerriodoxa flowering

Palmə häl′ik

Oh man that is way cool! I wonder if mine will ever do that? Will it make fertile seeds???

• Like 1

"You can't see California without Marlon Brando's eyes"---SliPknot

That looks like the male staminate inflorescence, you need the female to make viable seed. These palms are dioecious. 

My male flowered regularly for years, and the female has finally started sending up pistillate inflorescences this year. 

I planted three Kerriodoxa, two were male and one female, so I got lucky.

Tim

• Like 2

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Damn it is every palm dioecious LOL?nIts like getting anthuriums to seed. You need 2 blooms at the same time but at different stages of development

• Like 2

"You can't see California without Marlon Brando's eyes"---SliPknot

That is stunning. I am going to add a few more just so I can get seed in the future plus if you have ever seen Tim s 3 together it is a real sight to see. Pics tim??

• Like 2

Ive got two, the seconds nowhere near flowering....    Dont count on me for seed.

• Like 1

Brandon, FL

27.95°N 82.28°W (Elev. 62 ft)

Zone9 w/ canopy

So, here ya go.....a few photos.

The first is the male staminate inflorescence which seems to come up close to the margins of the stem. 

The second photo is the female pistillate inflorescence which seems to be more intrafoliar and much smaller. 

Tim

P1060862.jpg

P1060860.jpg

• Like 8

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

A few photos of the grouping of three and there is a shovel for scale in a couple of them. Quite an impressive palm. 

Tim

P1070042.jpg

P1070043.jpg

P1070039.jpg

• Like 9
  • Upvote 3

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Yowza, hope it's got a mate.

• Like 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Thanks to you both for sharing your fascinating photos of one of my favorite species!!

• Like 2

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm:

Got another one  poppin out on the other side...

20190222_174437.jpg

20190222_174442.jpg

• Like 3

Brandon, FL

Zone9 w/ canopy

A couple more photos of what the seeds will look like.  Ray, they will probably have seed, but they won't be viable. 

Tim

P1070051.jpg

P1070055.jpg

• Like 2

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Its that time o year year again....

Just noticed this last night...

20200115_070811.jpg

• Like 2

Brandon, FL

Zone9 w/ canopy

Thanks for the event posts. Looking back at the photos, you have female plants. 

Tim

• Like 1

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Super cool and a great looking specimen how old was your palm when it started to flower. Mine is approaching this size and is one of my favorites 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, akamu said:

Super cool and a great looking specimen how old was your palm when it started to flower. Mine is approaching this size and is one of my favorites 

Last year was its first flowering.

Ive had the palm around 10years now.   I got it as a 7gal

• Like 1

Brandon, FL

Zone9 w/ canopy

Ray, those look great. Hmmm....I think I need to upgrade my shovel.

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/18/2020 at 11:48 AM, realarch said:

Ray, those look great. Hmmm....I think I need to upgrade my shovel.

Tim

If that's a husky shovel dont bother its junk haha. The handle fell apart while stored in my garage Go with a Lowe's type product =) I keep it outside for years now with no problems 

T J 

9 hours ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

If that's a husky shovel dont bother its junk haha. The handle fell apart while stored in my garage Go with a Lowe's type product =) I keep it outside for years now with no problems 

Mines a craftsman.  

Brandon, FL

Zone9 w/ canopy

2 hours ago, Palmə häl′ik said:

Mines a craftsman.  

My bad I definitely can endorse there shovels , mine has been worth every penny =) 

T J 

A beautiful palm, I have 2 but they are slooooooooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww  

Jupiter FL

in the Zone formally known as 10A