IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Needle Frond pull ?!!!! :{

newtopalmsMD

I have a 15 gallon Needle Palm with a main plant and two pups that I planted in April.  In early November one of the pups suffered spear pull.  I sprayed  copper fungicide in the crown.  I checked out the palms just before last week's arctic event and found this dead frond which pulled out of the same pup that had the spear pull.  Pics of the frond below.  The pup still has 4 green fronds.  I splayed 6 more shots of copper fungicide in the crown.  In the last pic the white frost cloth (kinda light green a little left of center) is covering the crown and you can see a couple of the good fronds.  I covered the crown with leaves to try to keep snow and water out of the crown.  Any other ideas on killing the fungus or if I am using too little copper fungicide would be welcome.  Will post the aftermath of the arctic blast and the freezing rain when it warms up on Thursday.

ThanksIMG_2972.jpg.593e12c0b4cb21eb245240b87679cfe9.jpgIMG_2973.jpg.33baad5ab14e9de946dbd6ad00ca8ec1.jpgIMG_2976.jpg.6ecf9d53f9491de1167dcf9baa451ac3.jpg

Try H2O2 and see if it fizzes. Treat it every so often til the fizzing goes away. H2O2 or hydrogen peroxide acts as an anti fungal that you can see it "working", just dont do it before we get a cold spell rather do it on a warmer day.

Almost all of my super exposed unprotected baby/strap leaf rhapidophyllum hystrix had one offshoot pull. They should recover as I hear the younger growth tends to pull in winter but mostly should recover.

Edited by mdsonofthesouth

LOWS 16/17 12F, 17/18 3F, 18/19 7F, 19/20 20F

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

Use hydrogen peroxide first. Recently I was told that copper fungicide is toxic when overused, i.e., more than once a year. I definitely wouldn't use it on a spear pull on the same palm more than that. Hydrogen peroxide disinfects dead/dying tissue without harming healthy tissue so can be used much more often.

• Upvote 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Thanks,

I poured the Hydrogen peroxide into the crown a couple of days ago and got no fizz.  I hope that means the fungus is gone.  At any rate the 4 fronds that are left are still green... so here's hoping the problem is solved.  I may wait a week and pour some more as long as the hydrogen peroxide won't damage the plant.

Thanks! 

H2O2 is how I revived and saved my palms last year. I am doing the same this year but it was a test year so I doubt anything will return. But part of me is hopeful.

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

• 2 weeks later...

This happened to my big needle around 3 years ago. It went brown and “crunchy” in early fall, before any freezing weather hit. I blame transplant shock since needles are very touchy with their roots. Mine was delivered bare root and I think it made the tree weak. 

9 hours ago, LasPalmerasDeMaryland said:

This happened to my big needle around 3 years ago. It went brown and “crunchy” in early fall, before any freezing weather hit. I blame transplant shock since needles are very touchy with their roots. Mine was delivered bare root and I think it made the tree weak. 

Yeah if I can help it I wont be buying anymore bare root plants unless I have to have it.