Jump to content
palmsOrl

Zone 10 Palms in the Orlando Area Mega Thread

Recommended Posts

pj_orlando_z9b
On 6/8/2022 at 11:04 PM, RedRabbit said:

Where exactly are those tall ones located?

Southern part of Lake Conway in Belle Isle. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
pj_orlando_z9b

Trimmed up my coconut. 6 ft of clear trunk now. I can get lots of coconuts but not to maturity. 

PSX_20220731_085916.jpg

20220730_201416.jpg

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
donalt

they look young, still. what happens if you leave the nuts on the tree longer? (Do they ever ripen)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
pj_orlando_z9b
On 7/31/2022 at 8:34 PM, donalt said:

they look young, still. what happens if you leave the nuts on the tree longer? (Do they ever ripen)

 

These were about 15 months old.  I think my winters make them unable to reach maturity.  A really warm winter could change that.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Borderline Tropical

Hello everyone, my first time here on Palmtalk and a new resident of Orlando! I snapped these photos of coconuts and royals around the Oak Ridge area. Last coconut image is near Kissimmee around Osceola Pkwy. 

700_1928.JPG

700_1930.JPG

700_1932~2.JPG

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
donalt

welcome to PalmTalk! Great sightings!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Fishinsteeg234

A few days back I ran across a large Caryota obtusa in Windermere, looking a little disheveled but growing big in full sun. Also drove by a driveway lined with a dozen trunking coconuts in rural Christmas area, and a large Ficus benghalensis in S Orl. that wants to swallow the house if not maintained like it has been been. 

20327A40-1B73-403F-9D46-81826E5574DE.jpeg

4D3EA34F-18FE-4EA5-9692-06D844760350.jpeg

8C8354BD-69D6-45A8-ABA9-62876DCAAEA2.jpeg

3D3212E9-1C46-4A0D-A5E2-32EBF0BD491B.jpeg

48C05287-BF94-49F2-8525-FD014F6052C5.jpeg

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kinzyjr

@Borderline Tropical Welcome to PalmTalk!  Thank you for sharing!

@Fishinsteeg234 Do you happen to know how long those coconuts have been in the ground?  They look pretty healthy.  Especially considering the image below from Christmas after a relatively uneventful 2021 winter:

20220807_ChristmasFL_Dypsis_lutescens2021.jpg.4a2bfc05f9dc1c120563accfbdd89d04.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
pj_orlando_z9b
On 8/4/2022 at 9:25 PM, Borderline Tropical said:

Hello everyone, my first time here on Palmtalk and a new resident of Orlando! I snapped these photos of coconuts and royals around the Oak Ridge area. Last coconut image is near Kissimmee around Osceola Pkwy. 

700_1928.JPG

700_1930.JPG

700_1932~2.JPG

Welcome. Great finds. :D

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Fishinsteeg234
11 hours ago, kinzyjr said:

@Borderline Tropical Welcome to PalmTalk!  Thank you for sharing!

@Fishinsteeg234 Do you happen to know how long those coconuts have been in the ground?  They look pretty healthy.  Especially considering the image below from Christmas after a relatively uneventful 2021 winter:

20220807_ChristmasFL_Dypsis_lutescens2021.jpg.4a2bfc05f9dc1c120563accfbdd89d04.jpg

@kinzyjr I’m not sure how long in the ground, but one of them was fruiting. I’ll try and keep up with them overtime when I’m in the area. 
 

9584D6CF-0090-4B77-B64C-9B05F855CE90.png

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Plantking165

Thats awesome. Hopefully one day mine will fruit too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...