palmsOrl

Zone 10 Palms in the Orlando Area Mega Thread

chinandega81
1 hour ago, chad2468emr said:

With how much I miss south Florida, I legitimately think I’d tear up if someone said that to me and tell them it reminds me of home too. Haha!! 

It seems like so many tropicals from South Florida do well around Orlando. Why not just plant the same stuff? There is a poster who has posted pics of coconuts, royal palms, sea grapes, toyal poincianas, etc in the Lakeland area and obviously in this thread from the Orlando area. Is it a problem of availability? If so, I would just take a trip to South Florida and hit up the nurseries and stock up on plants.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

kinzyjr
16 hours ago, pj_orlando_z9b said:

I had a lot of work done outside over the past year and EVERY contractor...5 of them...commented on my coconut.  The most common was 'it is so nice to see something unique. Everybody has the same landscape'. Lol. One guy was from Jamaica and said it reminded him of home. 

You do take really good care of that palm!  It always looks great.

One of my neighbors asked me if those were actually coconut palms on the side of the house.  His work took him to Miami frequently, and he always loved seeing them down there.

Oddly enough, I get more questions about the two Veitchia arecina.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

chad2468emr
On 5/14/2021 at 9:38 AM, chinandega81 said:

It seems like so many tropicals from South Florida do well around Orlando. Why not just plant the same stuff? There is a poster who has posted pics of coconuts, royal palms, sea grapes, toyal poincianas, etc in the Lakeland area and obviously in this thread from the Orlando area. Is it a problem of availability? If so, I would just take a trip to South Florida and hit up the nurseries and stock up on plants.

Oh, I often do take those trips haha. I have a 15 gal red dwarf coconut, 25 gal teddy, 5 gal s. lieukuensis, k. elegans, plenty of archontos, a few licuala, and more that I’ve gotten when visiting friends + family down there. I’ve also got a royal and others that I’ve been able to source in this area. Almost all of them will be in-ground eventually. Most will do well, and then every 10 years or so there will be a winter they just can’t recover from, even in the best of microclimate placements, but that’s just a fact I’ve learned to accept haha. 

When I say I miss south Florida, it’s also for a lot of reasons outside of just plants / palms. I won’t get all gushy, but coconut palms are definitely a trigger of south Floridian memories for me and the place will always be “home” to me. Hearing someone say the same thing about their home would have honestly probably made me emotional, haha. 

chad2468emr
17 hours ago, kinzyjr said:

Oddly enough, I get more questions about the two Veitchia arecina.

This is something I often wonder about. Do a lot of people (outside of friends + family) tend to ask questions when they see palms at your home that are clearly not of the norm for the area? My neighbors all tend to keep to themselves, but I’ve actually got a funny video from a security cam of the Amazon man doing a double take at all my palms AND catching him on the look-back when he walked back to the truck. I’ve caught neighbors looking at them too, but I can’t ever tell if it’s because they think “WOW that dude is crazy and that is an EXCESSIVE amount of palms.” or if it’s out of admiration. 

Video of the Amazon man below. :floor:

Edited by chad2468emr
  • Like 2

pj_orlando_z9b
11 hours ago, chad2468emr said:

This is something I often wonder about. Do a lot of people (outside of friends + family) tend to ask questions when they see palms at your home that are clearly not of the norm for the area? My neighbors all tend to keep to themselves, but I’ve actually got a funny video from a security cam of the Amazon man doing a double take at all my palms AND catching him on the look-back when he walked back to the truck. I’ve caught neighbors looking at them too, but I can’t ever tell if it’s because they think “WOW that dude is crazy and that is an EXCESSIVE amount of palms.” or if it’s out of admiration. 

Video of the Amazon man below. :floor:

FullSizeRender.mov 7.33 MB · 1 download

I've had several friends plant a small coconut because they like mine. I warn them of the risks of freezes in Central FL but they find it worth the risk. Here is mine today.

20210515_144936.jpg

• Like 6
  • Upvote 3

palmsOrl

Just gorgeous PJ!

• Like 1

Tommy83
On 18/04/2021 at 07:36, pj_orlando_z9b said:

Noix de coco chez Kaley et Orange 

20210414_210516.jpg

What minimum temperature did you have this winter in Orlando and its surroundings ?

• Like 1

chad2468emr
12 hours ago, pj_orlando_z9b said:

I've had several friends plant a small coconut because they like mine. I warn them of the risks of freezes in Central FL but they find it worth the risk. Here is mine today.

20210515_144936.jpg

Always makes me so happy and hopeful to see that palm! Absolutely brilliant. 

• Like 2

donalt

what is the specific variety of your coconut? absolutely beautiful !!

• Like 1

Eric in Orlando

A nice Archontophoenix alexandrae growing in a seemingly open colder area in west Altamonte Springs. It also growing in a neglected landscape. Streetview shows nothing in 2011 and a 3-4ft palm in 2014. Someone has had to have been watering it as this area is sugar sand hills. And yes, someone has asininely painted the trunk. 

DSC_5203~2.JPG

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

pj_orlando_z9b
On 5/16/2021 at 10:24 AM, chad2468emr said:

Always makes me so happy and hopeful to see that palm! Absolutely brilliant. 

• Upvote 1

pj_orlando_z9b
On 5/16/2021 at 10:08 PM, donalt said:

what is the specific variety of your coconut? absolutely beautiful !!

After lots of researching and input from experts, I believe it's a maypan with a larger than normal crown.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

pj_orlando_z9b
On 5/16/2021 at 2:37 AM, Tommy83 said:

What minimum temperature did you have this winter in Orlando and its surroundings 

Officially 35F at the airport. I was 34F in my backyard. If I recall, there were some upper 20s across some of the less populated outskirts of the city once or twice. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Eric in Orlando

Here is a Coconut in College Park (Orlando) I have been watching for several years. It was planted small and hasn't looked real good until the past year. Now its finally growing well.

DSC_5638~2.JPG

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

pj_orlando_z9b

Beccariophoenix alfreddii looking sharp. Consistent growers, low maintenance palm. Over 8 ft to the top now. 

20210619_123423.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1