IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Zone 10 Palms in the Orlando Area Mega Thread

palmsOrl

They planted 2 groups of Roystonea and Adonidia downtown Orlando along Orange Ave. in front of the Dr. Phillips Performing Arts Center. These have been there about 3 years.

roy1a.jpg

roy2a.jpg

• Like 7

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Across the street at Orlando City Hall are Archontophoenix cunninghamiana, been there at least 15 years.

arch1.jpg

Arch2.jpg

• Like 7

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

6 minutes ago, Eric in Orlando said:

Across the street at Orlando City Hall are Archontophoenix cunninghamiana, been there at least 15 years.

arch1.jpg

Arch2.jpg

Absolutely Gorgeous 

• Like 1

I see the City of Orlando couldn't pass on an opportunity to plant more 9a-safe, disease-prone palms instead of something more tropical in the middle of what seems like a favorable 10a microclimate. 

IMG_0972.jpg

Edited by FlaPalmLover

7 minutes ago, FlaPalmLover said:

I see the City of Orlando couldn't pass on an opportunity to plant more 9a-safe, disease-prone palms instead of something more tropical in the middle of what seems like a favorable 10a microclimate. 

IMG_0972.jpg

I would think Mexican washingtonia palm would be a less hassle, better choice.

Brevard County, Fl

31 minutes ago, Jimbean said:

I would think Mexican washingtonia palm would be a less hassle, better choice.

I would've preferred that even. It definitely adds a nice vibe to a downtown area to have some towering Washingtonia palms.

• 3 months later...

I spotted this home with a mature foxtail palm in Deltona and it gave me some hope that perhaps I will be able to keep one. It is a little closer to Lake Monroe than my house is, but my house is also at a higher elevation and is still in the middle of town by high-traffic areas and closer to I4, so hopefully its microclimate isn't very distinguishable from mine. There's a several-year gap in the Google Earth pictures, so it's hard to say when it was planted or at what size, but its lower fronds were defoliated in the 2021-2022 winter and then it recovered and looked normal and healthy again on an image from just a year later. I'm sure it is at least somewhat helpful to have it planted up close to the house (although I read an old @sonoranfans post where he noted that the soil that tends to be closer to a house is actually less suitable for foxtails) with the radiant heat. 

Screenshot 2024-04-13 at 9.47.18 PM.png

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, FlaPalmLover said:

I spotted this home with a mature foxtail palm in Deltona and it gave me some hope that perhaps I will be able to keep one. It is a little closer to Lake Monroe than my house is, but my house is also at a higher elevation and is still in the middle of town by high-traffic areas and closer to I4, so hopefully its microclimate isn't very distinguishable from mine. There's a several-year gap in the Google Earth pictures, so it's hard to say when it was planted or at what size, but its lower fronds were defoliated in the 2021-2022 winter and then it recovered and looked normal and healthy again on an image from just a year later. I'm sure it is at least somewhat helpful to have it planted up close to the house (although I read an old @sonoranfans post where he noted that the soil that tends to be closer to a house is actually less suitable for foxtails) with the radiant heat. 

I just grabbed two volunteer Wodyetia bifurcata (Foxtails) out of the bone pile today and potted them up.  You're welcome to have them if you want them.  They are offspring from plants that have survived 20+ years.

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

1 hour ago, kinzyjr said:

I just grabbed two volunteer Wodyetia bifurcata (Foxtails) out of the bone pile today and potted them up.  You're welcome to have them if you want them.  They are offspring from plants that have survived 20+ years.

I might well take them off of your hands sometime when I am passing through Lakeland. I don't know if I'd have the patience for growing them from that size in a centerpiece location,, but I could plant them in my back yard where I have some decent spots remaining near the house/fence and lots of wind breaks. Don't foxtails transplant fairly well? I guess the caveat is, even if they transplant well, it might still be more promising to plant an offspring of a mature one that has proven itself.

It is hard to say what is sustainable in this suburb of Orlando because it has grown so much over the past 20 years and most people here seem to only have queens and/or pindo palms. There are so many pindo palms that it makes me think they were given away by someone at one time, or that it was the only palm available at the big box stores. 

Just now, FlaPalmLover said:

I might well take them off of your hands sometime when I am passing through Lakeland. I don't know if I'd have the patience for growing them from that size in a centerpiece location,, but I could plant them in my back yard where I have some decent spots remaining near the house/fence and lots of wind breaks. Don't foxtails transplant fairly well? I guess the caveat is, even if they transplant well, it might still be more promising to plant an offspring of a mature one that has proven itself.

I've had luck transplanting them in and out of the ground.  If you happen to swing through, send a PM.

• Like 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F