IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Zone 10 Palms in the Orlando Area Mega Thread

palmsOrl

16 hours ago, Eric in Orlando said:

A yard with several Coconuts in Oakland, 20 miles west of Orlando. 

DSC_0127~3.JPG

Gorgeous Jamaican Tall for being outside the heat island!!!   Maybe here on the east side of Corpus Christi in Texas, near the water, we can get our Coconut Palms to look/grow like that.  The climate I am sure is close to the same, though the normal daytime highs over there are probably about 3F or 4F higher than here in January.

John

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Mr. Coconut Palm said:

Gorgeous Jamaican Tall for being outside the heat island!!!   Maybe here on the east side of Corpus Christi in Texas, near the water, we can get our Coconut Palms to look/grow like that.  The climate I am sure is close to the same, though the normal daytime highs over there are probably about 3F or 4F higher than here in January.

John

The heat island is extending out a bit. Lots of development around there. And Lake Apopka is the 4th largest lake in Florida, this house is just blocks away. Oakland is on the south shore and it is about 8 miles across to the north shore. Besides zone 10 palms there were quite a few larger flowering Royal Poincianas. 

• Like 4

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Another house in Oakland, this one is right on the south shore of Lake Apopka and taking advantage of the microclimate. There are 2 Roystonea regia in the back and 2 tall Hyophorbe lagenicaulis and several healthy, mature Wodyetia.

DSC_0118~2.JPG

DSC_0119~3.JPG

• Like 6

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

A nearby house also on the lakefront with several large Royal Poinicanas (Delonix regia) that were just finishing flowering and a nice Ficus elastica. 

DSC_0125~3.JPG

• Like 6

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

7 hours ago, Eric in Orlando said:

DSC_0119~2.JPG

DSC_0120~2.JPG

DSC_0122~2.JPG

A yard like that needs at least one mature producing Coconut Palm too, probably leaning out over the water, would look good.

John

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Roystonea regia in Montverde, on the west side of Lake Apopka. 

DSC_0128~3.JPG

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Are wood peckers prone to burrowing into Royals for pest? Or is there another likely source for those holes?

• Upvote 1

Mid-summer update on my coconut. Growing well. I opened most of last year's fruit to harvest the water. Gonna let these keep growing to see if they mature for planting. 5 new flower stalks opening now. 

20200802_114108.jpg

PSX_20200801_115047.jpg

• Like 8
  • Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, pj_orlando_z9b said:

Mid-summer update on my coconut. Growing well. I opened most of last year's fruit to harvest the water. Gonna let these keep growing to see if they mature for planting. 5 new flower stalks opening now. 

20200802_114108.jpg

Quick question. What is the diameter length of the base of your beautiful palm?

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

3 hours ago, GottmitAlex said:

Quick question. What is the diameter length of the base of your beautiful palm?

About 12-14" is the base diameter.  Thanks!

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

@pj_orlando_z9b You're palm is gorgeous with the clear trunk.  Mine seem to be doing the California thing where they hold on to their old leaf bases and fibers.

• Like 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

6 minutes ago, kinzyjr said:

@pj_orlando_z9b You're palm is gorgeous with the clear trunk.  Mine seem to be doing the California thing where they hold on to their old leaf bases and fibers.

Thanks. I do help it along at times. But most of my boots start decaying and are half hanging off. Here is a close up.

Screenshot_20200802-233301_Gallery.jpg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

my beccariophoenix alfredii at 2.5 yrs in the ground. Slow growing but...growing.  These are great palms. 

20200815_014135.jpg

Edited by pj_orlando_z9b
  • Like 6
  • Upvote 2

Another shot of my coconut. I prefer them with a breeze but no wind shows off their fullness. This guy is keeping the local bees in business. 

20200814_184851.jpg

• Like 11
  • Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, pj_orlando_z9b said:

Another shot of my coconut. I prefer them with a breeze but no wind shows off their fullness. This guy is keeping the local bees in business. 

20200814_184851.jpg

Which variety is yours again?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 8/15/2020 at 2:20 AM, NickJames said:

Which variety is yours again?

Pretty sure a maypan with a robust canopy.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 8/15/2020 at 1:53 AM, pj_orlando_z9b said:

20200814_184851.jpg

Really nice healthy looking palm especially for Orlando, great job!

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Lived in Cape Coral, Miami, Orlando and St. Petersburg Florida.

• 4 weeks later...

Not sure if this belongs in the Tampa or Orlando page, as I consider it in between (ok, more Orlando)...

Either way, I was stunned to notice what is either a Dypsis lastelliana or a Dypsis leptocheilos right smack in the middle of the state, with a good 10'-12' of trunk!

https://www.google.com/maps/@28.5558518,-81.7835655,3a,75y,191.94h,84.14t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s_FmLEbMCDMN7dxL8K02mTg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?hl=en

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Probably D. leptocheilos.

I've noticed that one the least few years. Looks like from Streetview views it wasn't there in 2009 but is in 2012.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

• 2 weeks later...

A few cocos spotted in Conway. One just south of Curry Ford Rd is much taller than the roof line over the fence. This one in Belle Isle has been there a while and right off Hoffner. 

PSX_20200919_163334_copy_1677x2236.jpg

• Like 6
  • Upvote 2

Found these Coconuts north of Orlando. They are growing between Longwood and Sanford north of the NW corner of Lake Jessup on Myrtle St. This is a more open, colder location. By looking at Streetview images they look to have been planted around 2016/2017.

DSC_0714~3.JPG

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

1 hour ago, Eric in Orlando said:

Found these Coconuts north of Orlando. They are growing between Longwood and Sanford north of the NW corner of Lake Jessup on Myrtle St. This is a more open, colder location. By looking at Streetview images they look to have been planted around 2016/2017.

Wow....I thought that was a joke! It looks like a pic out of India or the real deep tropics!

• Upvote 2

I checked the pics on google maps. It looks like they were planted in June of 2017 from that pic. They are in a SW facing courtyard surrounded by reflective colored white concrete on the ground and NW, N and NE sides. Someone knew what they were doing with that selection at that location. They were planted large so I hope they thrive. Maybe someone in Orlando can drive by and take a pic how they are doing after this summer? The last pic from Feb of this year on Maps showed them yellowish and overly trimmed.

• Upvote 2

On 9/20/2020 at 4:42 AM, pj_orlando_z9b said:

A few cocos spotted in Conway. One just south of Curry Ford Rd is much taller than the roof line over the fence. This one in Belle Isle has been there a while and right off Hoffner. 

PSX_20200919_163334_copy_1677x2236.jpg

That's a nice looking coconut!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, chinandega81 said:

I checked the pics on google maps. It looks like they were planted in June of 2017 from that pic. They are in a SW facing courtyard surrounded by reflective colored white concrete on the ground and NW, N and NE sides. Someone knew what they were doing with that selection at that location. They were planted large so I hope they thrive. Maybe someone in Orlando can drive by and take a pic how they are doing after this summer? The last pic from Feb of this year on Maps showed them yellowish and overly trimmed.

I took that photo this past Saturday. They looked good. Gates were locked so couldn't get close to them.

• Upvote 2

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

4 minutes ago, Eric in Orlando said:

I took that photo this past Saturday. They looked good. Gates were locked so couldn't get close to them.

Wow, they have done wonderfully this summer then, I am so excited for them lol! I also observed so many date palms at that house of worship. Which such a grandoise building and coconuts, they should have lined their drive with royals IMO.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Eric in Orlando said:

DSC_0714~3.JPG

:w00: For real?!  I thought this had to be a joke!  Okay, those are the most impressive coconuts in the Orlando area.  I need to make a trip there to see those.

• Like 2

Its real! I couldn't believe it either. We were heading to the Lake Jessup Wilderness are to see if the swamp sunflowers were blooming yet. There are lots of Phoenix dactylifera and Phoenix sylvestris planted in rows in front. Then I realized those were coconuts at the front entrance. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

But for real, that is bar none, the most awe-inspiring coconut palm display I have ever seen in the Orlando area and probably anywhere north of around Stuart on the east coast and Sanibel Island on the west coast.  Something about the way they are grouped together, their size and their obviously excellent health evoke a scene from the deep tropics, moreso than even most I see in South Florida.

I am sure it is just because these are in the Orlando area, but still.

Hopefully they will make it for 10-20 years before a cold winter ends their life (and rest assured, it will happen sooner or later).  Supplemental irrigation and a year-round fertilizer regime would help the palms stay as healthy as possible through our typical winters and make the palms more likely to survive freezes, barring a 2010 or God forbid a 1980s-style freeze, which no unprotected Cocos of any size will survive in the far northern reaches of the Orlando area regardless of size, situation or health.

• Like 2

Those look great, but they’re in a colder 9b area so I’m not sure how long they’ll be there. 

I recently saw one large random coconut planted east of I-75 in Sarasota much like these. When I drove past I was like, “holy expletive, wtf is that doing here?” I definitely would have said the same about these in Sanford! It’s great to see some large field grown coconuts being planted. :D

Edited by RedRabbit
  • Upvote 1

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

A few palms at my Mom's house near downtown Orlando. 

a flowering Caryota no nearly 50ft tall,

Livistona jenkinsiana,

Beccariophoenix fenestralis

DSC_0401~2.JPG

DSC_0399~2.JPG

DSC_0394~2.JPG

• Like 3

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Dypsis leptocheilos

Dypsis madagascariensis (Mahajanga form)

Dypsis onilahensis

DSC_0388~2.JPG

DSC_0390~2.JPG

DSC_0392~2.JPG

• Like 4

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

On 1/13/2020 at 8:10 PM, sipalms said:

I'm in Orlando next week for a couple days. Just interested to know.... How far from the city/airport would I have to drive to get to a coconut lined beach? Which location? I noticed Miami Beach is about 2.5hrs, I know there's lots of cocos there, but wondered where else closer to Orlando.

Also want to go for a swim. Where do you recommend for this and the above palminess?

I just realised I never updated this thread with some pics. 

I found these Cocos near Cocoa beach, gave off plenty of palmy vibes. What a beautiful place Florida is, wish I'd stayed longer.

20200128_174008.thumb.jpg.ccf8ee75f4b9979ea4acaf304d4ad06d.jpg

20200128_174002.thumb.jpg.e53ea1f89d07f83acf15e6fb27b5c4f9.jpg

20200128_175545.thumb.jpg.5d56a78a8330605f22dac9a07d7ffb9f.jpg

20200128_175227.thumb.jpg.d4d5fefd0300c0f0a2a7f915bccca79a.jpg

Edited by sipalms
Uploaded higher res photos
  • Like 3

On 9/21/2020 at 8:43 AM, Eric in Orlando said:

DSC_0714~3.JPG

Great find. They look great and especially against that backdrop of the nice building. If they were planted in 2016/2017, they had to take a big step back in Jan 2018. Sanford got down to 25F. In my area we hit 28F for 4 hours and every coconut lost the entire crown. One died. They sure got well quick!

• Like 1