IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Zone 10 Palms in the Orlando Area Mega Thread

palmsOrl

1 hour ago, Eric in Orlando said:

I just saw this morning, nice specimen. It is actually next door at the insurance office. It isn't there in the 2016 streetview but is in 2018.

Pics please!

• Like 1

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

• 3 weeks later...

I thought it was time to show off my Roystonea that has been growing in my Winter Springs yard.  I am about 20 miles North of Downtown Orlando.  I planted it as a small seedling in April 2001.  So, it has been growing in my yard for nearly 19 years.  It towers over my home.

In 2018, what looked like a bloom started to emerge from where a frond had dropped away.  But, after a few weeks, it too dropped away.  But, I am hopeful that this tree will bloom and set seed soon.

This tree is proof that once they get some size to them, Roystonea are remarkably hardy in Zone 9b.

IMG_3093.JPG

IMG_3094.JPG

• Like 12
  • Upvote 1

Winter Springs (Orlando area), Florida

Zone 9b/10a

4 hours ago, ck_in_fla said:

I thought it was time to show off my Roystonea that has been growing in my Winter Springs yard.  I am about 20 miles North of Downtown Orlando.  I planted it as a small seedling in April 2001.  So, it has been growing in my yard for nearly 19 years.  It towers over my home.

In 2018, what looked like a bloom started to emerge from where a frond had dropped away.  But, after a few weeks, it too dropped away.  But, I am hopeful that this tree will bloom and set seed soon.

This tree is proof that once they get some size to them, Roystonea are remarkably hardy in Zone 9b.

IMG_3093.JPG

IMG_3094.JPG

Beautiful! Great job. How did it fare in 2010 and 2018? Some bronzing or defoliated?

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, pj_orlando_z9b said:

Beautiful! Great job. How did it fare in 2010 and 2018? Some bronzing or defoliated?

In both cases, just some damage to the edge of the fronds.  I wouldn't even call it defoliation.  Since the coldest temperatures are near the ground, neither event had much impact to the fronds because they are at least 40 feet up in the air.  :-)

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Zone 9b/10a

I'm in Orlando next week for a couple days. Just interested to know.... How far from the city/airport would I have to drive to get to a coconut lined beach? Which location? I noticed Miami Beach is about 2.5hrs, I know there's lots of cocos there, but wondered where else closer to Orlando.

Also want to go for a swim. Where do you recommend for this and the above palminess?

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, sipalms said:

I'm in Orlando next week for a couple days. Just interested to know.... How far from the city/airport would I have to drive to get to a coconut lined beach? Which location? I noticed Miami Beach is about 2.5hrs, I know there's lots of cocos there, but wondered where else closer to Orlando.

Also want to go for a swim. Where do you recommend for this and the above palminess?

Coconuts directly on the beach aren't that easy to find in Florida. Ft. Lauderdale and Hollywood in Broward County immediately come to mind, but I'm not sure if there's anything north of that. 

• Upvote 1

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

4 hours ago, sipalms said:

In Cocoa Beach (about an hour East of Orlando), there are coconut palms adjacent to the beach.  The coconut palms are a block or less from the actual beach.  There are places in that general area where coconut palms can be seen from the beach..

A little further South, a number of hotels in the Melbourne Beach area have landscaped with coconut palms that are visible from the beach.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Zone 9b/10a

5 hours ago, ck_in_fla said:

In Cocoa Beach (about an hour East of Orlando), there are coconut palms adjacent to the beach.  The coconut palms are a block or less from the actual beach.  There are places in that general area where coconut palms can be seen from the beach..

A little further South, a number of hotels in the Melbourne Beach area have landscaped with coconut palms that are visible from the beach.

Yeah, there’s way more coconuts adjacent to the beach or in the dunes than on the actual beach. I don’t think anywhere on the entire west coast has them directly on the beach.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, RedRabbit said:

Yeah, there’s way more coconuts adjacent to the beach or in the dunes than on the actual beach. I don’t think anywhere on the entire west coast has them directly on the beach.

There are a few houses on North Beach in Clearwater that have some planted right on the beach. I think Sanibel has some too, but cant remember for sure.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SWFLchris said:

There are a few houses on North Beach in Clearwater that have some planted right on the beach. I think Sanibel has some too, but cant remember for sure.

The Venice pier has a few on the beach too... There’s a handful here and there, but I’m not aware of anywhere that they’re in abundance like they are in Hollywood Beach.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, RedRabbit said:

The Venice pier has a few on the beach too... There’s a handful here and there, but I’m not aware of anywhere that they’re in abundance like they are in Hollywood Beach.

Oh yeah as far as public plantings on the beach, there has to be next nothing on the Gulf Coast.

• Upvote 1

On 1/13/2020 at 2:10 AM, sipalms said:

Take the beach line (The highway right off the airport) over to Cherie Down Park in port Canaveral (go early or late because it’s one of the few places with free parking). There are probably half a dozen cocos in front of various beachfront condos in that area. It’s not a “coconut lined beach” but is less than an hour drive assuming you’re in the Orlando tourist area. It’s probably about 45 minutes from the airport. Swimming there might be a little cold with some rough surf. Take a drive down A1A in that area. The homes and condos are heavily landscaped with zone 10 palms. 

Edited by Oviedo_z10b_lol
  • Like 2

On 1/13/2020 at 3:42 PM, RedRabbit said:

Not sure what counts as right on the beach, but Naples Beach was very coconutty 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

5 hours ago, Xenon said:

Not sure what counts as right on the beach, but Naples Beach was very coconutty 

Yeah, Naples has a lot in the dunes so that’s probably the best spot on the west coast for a coconutty beach.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 1/16/2020 at 9:23 AM, Oviedo_z10b_lol said:

Take the beach line (The highway right off the airport) over to Cherie Down Park in port Canaveral (go early or late because it’s one of the few places with free parking). There are probably half a dozen cocos in front of various beachfront condos in that area. It’s not a “coconut lined beach” but is less than an hour drive assuming you’re in the Orlando tourist area. It’s probably about 45 minutes from the airport. Swimming there might be a little cold with some rough surf. Take a drive down A1A in that area. The homes and condos are heavily landscaped with zone 10 palms. 

Agree. The drive from Cocoa to Sebastian on A1A is fun. Lots of beautiful homes and coconuts. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Almost 3 years growth for my foxtail. While it gained some height the trunk really thickened. This is also the latest in winter I've gone without my red copper plants defoliating. 

20200116_002354.jpg

Edited by pj_orlando_z9b
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 2

10 hours ago, pj_orlando_z9b said:

Almost 3 years growth for my foxtail. While it gained some height the trunk really thickened. This is also the latest in winter I've gone without my red copper plants defoliating. 

20200116_002354.jpg

beautifully grown. Was it a plant or seedling and how long to get to this size?

• Like 2

On 1/18/2020 at 8:18 AM, JANAIY said:

beautifully grown. Was it a plant or seedling and how long to get to this size?

The pic on the left is initial planting.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

While not in Orlando and prob a good half a zone warmer, I'm gonna sneak this coconut in from Cocoa Beach. Such a difference here in types of palms and just 45 miles east of me. Danggit.

PSX_20200119_155613.jpg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

On 1/16/2020 at 4:56 PM, RedRabbit said:

Yeah, Naples has a lot in the dunes so that’s probably the best spot on the west coast for a coconutty beach.

When I think of Coconuts  growing right on the Beach in Florida, I think of Fort Myers Beach on Estero Island.  At least as far as the West coast goes.  

428919D6-AF40-46D7-BB92-135C60E3EDA0.png

AD222504-16E7-4BD6-94E6-CD6F19793695.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Wow, nice! I wasn't aware it was like that there. I did some searching and found that Bonita Beach has a lot of coconuts too.  :greenthumb:

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

On 1/22/2020 at 12:31 AM, RedRabbit said:

Wow, nice! I wasn't aware it was like that there. I did some searching and found that Bonita Beach has a lot of coconuts too.  :greenthumb:

I lived in Temple Terrence from 1996-2000 

I had a boat I kept at Clearwater Bay Marina and used to take the intercoastal all the way down the West coast in search of the most tropical looking locations. 
 Even though Anna Maria Island and Longboat Key we’re beautiful and Siesta Key had the nicest beach on the West Coast, it did not really seem all that tropical until I got down near the Captiva Island area.   Sanibel island, Fort Myers Beach and Bonita Beach are the areas I really felt were the most tropical in appearance. That is where I noticed the most Coconuts growing right on the beach.  I think a lot of the coconuts down there are sprouting naturally.  I miss those days. Useppa Island is another really tropical looking spot if I remember correctly. 

Jeff 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, wrigjef said:

I lived in Temple Terrence from 1996-2000 

I had a boat I kept at Clearwater Bay Marina and used to take the intercoastal all the way down the West coast in search of the most tropical looking locations. 
 Even though Anna Maria Island and Longboat Key we’re beautiful and Siesta Key had the nicest beach on the West Coast, it did not really seem all that tropical until I got down near the Captiva Island area.   Sanibel island, Fort Myers Beach and Bonita Beach are the areas I really felt were the most tropical in appearance. That is where I noticed the most Coconuts growing right on the beach.  I think a lot of the coconuts down there are sprouting naturally.  I miss those days. Useppa Island is another really tropical looking spot if I remember correctly. 

Jeff 

That sounds pretty accurate to me Jeff! Manatee, Sarasota, and Charlotte counties support a lot of tropical vegetation, but Lee County seems to be where it becomes full on tropical. I was recently in Sanibel and it was clearly a step up from Sarasota. 

• Like 3

I recently noticed a new tropical landscape in Winter Park a couple blocks off of Park Ave. They used some nice palms including Kentiopsis oliviformis, Dypsis pembana, Hyophorbe verschaffeltii, Beccariophoenix alfredii, and X  Butyagrus. 

Here are the Kentiopsis 

DSC_7189~2.JPG

DSC_7191~2.JPG

DSC_7192~2.JPG

DSC_7190~2.JPG

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Across the street is the Methodist Church. I planted these Archontophoenix cunninghamiana and Pandanus furcatus in Aug. 2004 a week before Hurricane Charley hit. 

DSC_7199~2.JPG

• Like 7
  • Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

• 2 weeks later...

I passed by Kaley/Orange last night and saw the 3 coconuts. They look great and have really put on size. The one closest to Kaley looks to be about 7 ft tall now. The robellenii with them is almost hidden. Will be fun to watch those. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Got the desired coconuts on the beach pics while in Florida recently, at Cocoa Beach. Lots of what seemed like wild ones sprouting up in the shrubbery between the sand and residential strip. Beautiful spot.

20200128_175559.thumb.jpg.3625c9bf7de07b788e5f87d505df3c85.jpg

20200128_174002.thumb.jpg.00ffc0ee7c2a97398d600a3c2cd52107.jpg

20200128_175227.thumb.jpg.69e4beb3bbac3dd6875af3c8dde6ba37.jpg

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

@pj_orlando_z9b When a blind squirrel finds a nut, you can bet it was a coconut. :)

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

3 hours ago, kinzyjr said:

@pj_orlando_z9b When a blind squirrel finds a nut, you can bet it was a coconut. :D

Not in the ground, but my coconuts are looking quite well after this winter after essentially no protection.  We didn't have a freeze and the amount of chill was below normal.  Also, keeping the palms well-fed helped them stay looking good through the period of sub-optimal temperatures.

20200214_220345.jpg

• Like 4

There are lots of nice palm specimens at Disney's Animal Kingdon; hardy and tender. I was out there a couple weeks ago and took some photos of some of the more tender specimens. I didn't get any photos of Archontophoenix or the Chambeyronia in Pandora. Also there are a couple young Beccariophoenix fenestralis going towards Dinoland. Many of the taller palms have been growing there since AK opened in 1998.

Licuala spinosa, Roystonea regia and a young Elaeis guineensis near the entrance;

DSC_7626~2.JPG

DSC_7631~2.JPG

DSC_7625~2.JPG

DSC_7627~2.JPG

• Like 3

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Quite a few tall Wodyetia bifurcata specimens around the park. Also, a nice group of Ptychosperma elegans. 

DSC_7632~2.JPG

DSC_7629~2.JPG

DSC_7628~2.JPG

• Like 2

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a