IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Zone 10 Palms in the Orlando Area Mega Thread

palmsOrl

On 5/31/2019 at 6:28 PM, pj_orlando_z9b said:

Didn't get a great pic as I took it through the window but this is them I believe. Nice. I wish they would have planted them further apart.

PSX_20190531_162553.jpg

I drove by these earlier today and noticed that they had cleared out all the weeds and grass.  And, it looked like they may have added some amore Coconut palms (all small).  It was very congested and I was in a hurry, so I couldn't really get a good look.  But, perhaps this is a sign that the people are taking better care of these...    We can all hope.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Winter Springs (Orlando area), Florida

Zone 9b/10a

7 hours ago, Walt said:

Congratulations.  I know it's a thrill to see the first inflorescence.  I remember the first inflorescence my coconut made, and some small nuts followed, the all aborted.

So far this year two inflorescence have opened on my coconut palm -- and the pesky squirrels ate the flowers! I have two more unopened spathe. I'm just hoping the squirrels stop eating the flowers, or else I won't have any more coconut fruits.

It will be fun to watch. I'm surprised squirrels go for them. I'll have to watch for that. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pj_orlando_z9b said:

It will be fun to watch. I'm surprised squirrels go for them. I'll have to watch for that. 

I see squirrels often eating queen palm flowers. I have lots of flowering queen palms, and I wish the squirrels would eat them and leave my coconut palm alone. I think your coconut palm flowers (when they open) will be okay. My problem is that squirrels climb from an oak tree branch that touches an upper coconut palm branch, and they climb onto my coconut palm to get down to the ground, and in the process they discovered the flowers.

• Upvote 1

Mad about palms

• 2 weeks later...

I finally drove by the house in Winter Park on Lake Howell Road today to check on the coconuts in the front yard.  A few years ago, there were two large ones as well as quite a few little potted Cocos in the front yard next to it.

Well, as you can see, there is only the one left.  I am guessing January 2018 took out the other, the tall stump still in place.

5B508CD0-23FA-4A75-B39E-2D3E554992D7.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Double post.

Edited by GottmitAlex
  • Upvote 1

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

Found it!  I remember going to this golf resort in Howey in the Hills (attached map shows location in Lake County, FL) about 20 years ago with my parents and I remember this courtyard with a large royal palm.  At the time, the foliage looked sickly and cold damaged, but it was alive.

I looked it up and the resort is called the Mission Inn.   Well I found a more recent photo of the courtyard and there are two royals there that are looking pretty good.  The protected location must allow them to make it as Lake County is pretty far north and in the middle of the state. 

94AEB013-1875-4A2F-9208-6A8ECD68DE45.png

9B89B904-28E6-4D7A-ADCB-53429A6C18E9.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Thats awesome!

The nearby Howey Mansion was built in 1927. Old photos show large Roystonea planted at it.

Image result for howey mansion historic

post-231-0-90189200-1393448330.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Here is a small Adonidia growing at a Burger King on E. Colonial Dr. near downtown.

00E11B32-C74E-46E9-81FB-493D41211934.jpeg

• Like 1

Here a couple updated photos of the Ptychosperma macarthurii clump growing at a motel near UCF.  This palm has been here since at least 2003 and possibly a lot longer.  I assume it has been damaged heavily a number of times but it looks good now.  There is not a single seedling anywhere in the vicinity.

7CB8BC3D-6595-40C9-A990-B287E5A48FAD.jpeg

F39D4703-8F71-45DA-B50A-520380E81BC3.jpeg

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, palmsOrl said:

Here a couple updated photos of the Ptychosperma macarthurii clump growing at a motel near UCF.  This palm has been here since at least 2003 and possibly a lot longer.  I assume it has been damaged heavily a number of times but it looks good now.  There is not a single seedling anywhere in the vicinity.

The grounds look pretty well maintained there. Wouldn't surprise me if the landscape maintenance people prevent the possibility of seed dropping.

• Upvote 1

That very well could be, though I did see a bunch of old seed husks piled in the middle of the palm.

Perhaps a 9b palm, at least the most cold hardy selections, but here is a stately Bismarck palm at a McDonald’s near downtown.  I keep waiting for all of the fruits to ripen and fall.  In addition, you can see that the landscaping below it is zone 10 stuff, ixora and sea grape.

(Ooops, already posted this one early in the thread)

3950C6E2-24A4-49B3-A8EB-2BE1B0CD96DE.jpeg

Edited by palmsOrl
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, pj_orlando_z9b said:

One of my neighbors majesty palms. Mine never seem to gain height. 

20190704_124508.jpg

It looks very nice. Especially since its trunk is not as wide as other majesties which kill the coconut look. This one is a showstopper.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

If you are heading to downtown Orlando on I4 from the north and get off at the Colonial Dr./Highway 50 exit, there is a Cocos and a Roystonea growing in the backyard of one of the old mansions on Lake Concord. There is also Wodyetia or Archontophoenix too. Impossible to get a photo from there. Good microclimate being on the south side of the lake. Here is streetview from June 2018, damage from the Jan 2018 freeze. They have recovered since then. 

Screenshot_20190705-084412~2.png

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

I know not truly a z10 palm but here is my beccariophoenix alfredii. Not a super fast grower but a very consistent pace. Truck for scale...Sep 2018 vs July 2019.

20190713_001049.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

A visit to Sea World yesterday, no idea on the species ID for these two separate palms...any ideas?

IMG_9298.JPG

IMG_9299.JPG

• Like 2

2 hours ago, FishEyeAquaculture said:

A visit to Sea World yesterday, no idea on the species ID for these two separate palms...any ideas?

IMG_9298.JPG

IMG_9299.JPG

Looks like Kentiopsis oliviformis.

• Like 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

The others are Licuala grandis and Archontophoenix alexandrae.

• Like 2

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

26 minutes ago, Eric in Orlando said:

Looks like Kentiopsis oliviformis.

I was really hoping someone would say that’s what those were...stunning palms!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, FishEyeAquaculture said:

I was really hoping someone would say that’s what those were...stunning palms!

Where at Sea World are those? I haven't been there in awhile.

• Like 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

1 hour ago, Eric in Orlando said:

Where at Sea World are those? I haven't been there in awhile.

Infinity Falls

• Like 1

I just drove by my parent’s old house in Maitland today.  Roystonea regia on the left and R. borinqueana on the right, both planted as large seedlings in March 2003.  You can also see the Bismarckia and Archontophoenix cunninghamiana that were planted in the early 2000s.

9D2C374E-ECB6-40A3-BC08-8FCBA6CECC24.jpeg

• Like 1

Ptychosperma elegans in Winter Park. These are growing at a medical office on Fairbanks between I4 and 17/92. Its a great microclimate ; southside of a multi story building facing south and on the south side of Lake Killarney. They have been there since the mid 1990s, there were others but only 2 left. They dont get the best care and the others have died from drought and nutrient deficiencies. They do set seed but no seedlings underneath them. 

DSC_5284~2.JPG

• Like 5

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Wish I had the funds to buy tons of fertilizer and distribute it around town to all of these public plantings that could use a little boost.  I might actually do this someday.

Thank you for sharing a closeup of these, Eric.  They are looking reasonably happy.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Ptychosperma elegans has a better chance of survival around Orlando than Adonidia. They can tolerate long cool spells better though overall hardiness is about the same. 

• Like 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

I have noticed as much and have had the same experience Eric.  After an average winter here, they seem to put out a stunted leaf or two in spring then don't miss a beat.

I saw another Cocos in the ground (about 6-8') near the corner of Oregon and Mills Ave (about a block west of there) the other day, but couldn't get a photo.

• Upvote 1

First inflorescence opened. 3 more pushing through. Hoping for the best over the next 12 months.  Canopy is massive...about 20 ft wide. 

Screenshot_20190812-005814_Gallery.jpg

20190803_132209.jpg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

On 6/22/2019 at 5:06 PM, ck_in_fla said:

I drove by the coconut palms at Kaley and Orange (in downtown Orlando) earlier today and noticed that they had cleared out all the weeds and grass.  And, it looked like they may have added some amore Coconut palms (all small).  It was very congested and I was in a hurry, so I couldn't really get a good look.  But, perhaps this is a sign that the people are taking better care of these...    We can all hope.

I drove by the coconut palms at Kaley and Orange (in downtown Orlando) yesterday and it sure looks like they have grown in the nearly two months since this picture was taken.  I was in traffic and rushing to meet family members for lunch.  So, I couldn't stop to take some pictures.  But, someone has spent lots of time clearing the area of weeds.  We can only hope that they added some fertilizer too.

If someone gets back down there before I do,  please try to get some updated pictures.

Edited by ck_in_fla
  • Like 2

Winter Springs (Orlando area), Florida

Zone 9b/10a

@pj_orlando_z9b

Gorgeous palm and flowers!  Hoping to have some flowers soon myself.

• Like 2

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

On 8/5/2019 at 11:16 AM, palmsOrl said:

I have noticed as much and have had the same experience Eric.  After an average winter here, they seem to put out a stunted leaf or two in spring then don't miss a beat.

I saw another Cocos in the ground (about 6-8') near the corner of Oregon and Mills Ave (about a block west of there) the other day, but couldn't get a photo.

Didn’t you move to PA?

• Like 1

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

15 hours ago, RedRabbit said:

Didn’t you move to PA?

I did, but I moved back.  Beautiful, but too cold for this Florida boy! :rolleyes:

• Like 3

1 hour ago, palmsOrl said:

I did, but I moved back.  Beautiful, but too cold for this Florida boy! :rolleyes:

Glad you’re back, welcome home buddy! :greenthumb:

• Like 1

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

Royals and foxtails really seem to be the fad for new plantings, both residential and commercial across Orlando. A new complex is going up on South Semoran near the airport (a Mission BBQ!) and saw they planted these palms. Also saw new royal plantings at John Young and Presidents Dr (I didn't get pics)  

20190813_173607.jpg

PSX_20190813_173722.jpg

Edited by pj_orlando_z9b
  • Like 3