IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Zone 10 Palms in the Orlando Area Mega Thread

palmsOrl

These 2 Wodyetia are the first to be planted around Orlando that I know of (other than at Leu Gardens). They were planted around 1994. Back then Foxtails were still rare and very expensive. 

DSC_1638~3.JPG

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

More Hyophorbe lagenicaulis  that survived the 2009-10 winter, and a big cluster of Wodyetia fruit behind them. 

DSC_1641~4.JPG

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Archontophoenix alexandrae 

DSC_1660~4.JPG

DSC_1661~3.JPG

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Mango Tree and Frangipani 

DSC_1637~2.JPG

DSC_1656~3.JPG

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Beautiful Eric.  What a total difference from 20-30 years ago.  Now we just need more large Cocos in good microclimates.  I bet if these were planted as larger individuals in favorable areas, they would survive for 10-20 years in between major cold events.  I always thought I would have to move south to get a zone 10 climate.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

My coconut is kicking into high gear for the summer.  As it gets older I'm more convinced it is a maypan with the fat trunk. 

20190520_192946.jpg

Edited by pj_orlando_z9b
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 3

Roystonea regia along Summerlin Ave. south of downtown Orlando. 

DSC_1647~2.JPG

DSC_1648~2.JPG

DSC_1649~3.JPG

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Dypsis decaryi downtown Orlando at an Orange County administration building and across the street at a DMV building. 

DSC_1608~2.JPG

DSC_1607~3.JPG

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

On 5/20/2019 at 6:36 PM, pj_orlando_z9b said:

My coconut is kicking into high gear for the summer.  As it gets older I'm more convinced it is a maypan with the fat trunk. 

20190520_192946.jpg

PJ,

I think it is just a VERY ROBUST healthy Green Malayan Dwarf,  as I have seen Green Malayans with a little swelling at the base.  I just saw some mature ones about 22 ft. tall in overall height at Bayview near Port Isabel, Texas last Saturday, and they had some swelling at the base.  My 12 ft. tall in overall height Green Malayan here in Corpus Christi has a little bit of swelling at the base too.  It's just that the Talls and Maypans have A LOT more swelling.  Anyway, yours looks great and has recovered well from the last freeze.  You should have nuts forming before you know it!

John

Edited by Mr. Coconut Palm
  • Upvote 2

11 hours ago, Eric in Orlando said:

DSC_1634~2.JPG

DSC_1636~3.JPG

DSC_1608~2.JPG

It's great to see the diversity of palms that are in Orlando. Eric do u ever see any Psuedophoenix or have any luck with them? 

• Upvote 1

Surprisingly I have never seen any around here planted. We have some young ones at Leu Gardens growing well, they have some decent hardiness. 

• Like 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

This parking garage is adjacent to the Orange County Tax Collector's office in downtown Orlando. About 15 years aho someone started adding lots of tropical plants. Here is a Thrinax radiata. 

DSC_1617~2.JPG

DSC_1619~2.JPG

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

This Roystonea borinquena was originally planted across the street at a church. There were originally 3 and I planted them in Aug. 2004, a week before Hurricane Charley hit. One later died after a car crashed into it. The suriving 2 were transplanted here after the church rebuilt their building. One didnt survive the move but this one has grown well. 

• Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

There is also a Hyophorbe lagenicaulis 

DSC_1630~3.JPG

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Archontophoenix cunninghamiana 

DSC_1609~2.JPG

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Jacaranda and Delonix

DSC_1625~3.JPG

DSC_1624~2.JPG

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Aloe 'Hercules' and Pachypodium geayi

DSC_1613~2.JPG

DSC_1621~2.JPG

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

These Dypsis decaryi I previously posted are at this same building. 

DSC_1636~3.JPG

• Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Ravenala madagascariensis downtown Orlando. 

DSC_1665~4.JPG

• Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

On 5/22/2019 at 7:19 PM, Mr. Coconut Palm said:

PJ,

I think it is just a VERY ROBUST healthy Green Malayan Dwarf,  as I have seen Green Malayans with a little swelling at the base.  I just saw some mature ones about 22 ft. tall in overall height at Bayview near Port Isabel, Texas last Saturday, and they had some swelling at the base.  My 12 ft. tall in overall height Green Malayan here in Corpus Christi has a little bit of swelling at the base too.  It's just that the Talls and Maypans have A LOT more swelling.  Anyway, yours looks great and has recovered well from the last freeze.  You should have nuts forming before you know it!

John

Thanks. It is hard to see the difference. I'll see as it gets older. It's probably about 5-6 yrs old. I'm hoping it seeds but just wait patiently!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, pj_orlando_z9b said:

Thanks. It is hard to see the difference. I'll see as it gets older. It's probably about 5-6 yrs old. I'm hoping it seeds but just wait patiently!

You're welcome.  The age it is and size it is, it should start fruiting any month now.

• Upvote 1

Here are a couple of pictures of my Roystonea in my Winter Springs, FL yard.  I am on the North side of the metropolitan Orlando area.  This tree was planted as a 1 gallon seedling in April of 2001.  So, it has been growing in this location for 18 years.  I protected it when it was tiny.  But, it has been on it's own for many years now.

Roystonea_2019_05_25.JPG

Roystonea detail.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

Winter Springs (Orlando area), Florida

Zone 9b/10a

I was out in Clermont today, about 30 miles west of Orlando. I came across this nicely developing Ficus lutea. 

DSC_1738~2.JPG

DSC_1736~2.JPG

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Is this species of Ficus one of the more cold hardy, relatively speaking?  That is remarkable for Clermont, would be huge even for Orlando.

Clermont is low end 9b, no? I’m surprised to see that ficus there.

Edited by RedRabbit
  • Upvote 1

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

Here is a Caryota mites that has an interesting history growing in my Orlando area yard.

I had a fire at my house in December of 2004.  Because of hurricane related construction activity, I wasn't able to get my home rebuild until October of 2006.  

Originally, this palm was purchased as a $1.00 plant in a 4" pot in 1984.  I grew happily in my back yard until one day when my contractor called me to tell me I needed to move it because of the ongoing construction (most likely in 2005).  I went over to the home that was under construction and dug it up.  It was about 6 feet tall and had several stalks by then.  I dragged it under the large magnolia tree so it got some shade.  There it remained, without irrigation, until shortly after we moved back into the home in October of 2006.  My son and I dragged it around to the front yard and planted it.  This is indicative of the resiliency of this palm.  It is now more than 25 feet tall and several of the trunks are blooming and setting seed.  In fact, there are small seedlings growing under it.

It has proven to be quite hardy here in Orlando and should be planted more in this area.  Just my opinion...

Fishtails.jpg

• Upvote 2

Winter Springs (Orlando area), Florida

Zone 9b/10a

That is an impressive Caryota for sure.  I see quite a few in neighborhoods in and around downtown and occasionally in Winter Park but have not noticed many elsewhere.

Quite a few C. mitis survived the 12/89 freeze around Orlando. They were killed to the roots and came back. Most were slow to come back and stunted at first but then resumed normal growth.

• Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Clermont is a zone 9b but a colder 9b. But around downtown I saw some nice but younger Wodyetia and Hyophorbe lagenicaulis growing. Even a couple larger Delonix regia. But downtown is on the southside of Lake Minneola and is on a hill. So the downtown is probably warmer than all the sprawling parts of Clermont.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Here is a nice robust Wodyetia downtown Orlando across from Lake Eola Park. I took these photos back in December. 

DSC_4883~3.JPG

DSC_4884~3.JPG

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

1 hour ago, Eric in Orlando said:

DSC_4885~3.JPG

DSC_4887~2.JPG

I can’t imagine all those seeds all over that sidewalk 

• Upvote 1

I got some seeds that were ripe and had just fallen from a foxtail palm on the west side of Mills Ave just south of where you turn from Leu Gardens.  I have picked up 5 that are germinating now but I could have picked up 100+.

• Upvote 1